The Da Vinci Code

I'm halfway through Holy Blood, Holy Grail...it's very interesting and I can see several of Dan Brown's plotlines right from the start

Silent Song said:
anyone who says the bible is certainly a work of complete fiction, i challenge you to show me this "proof" because i have yet to see anything at all in that vein.

Much contained in the bible has come to be recognized as historical. However, it's the mystical, or miraculous, that so many doubt.

When proof is offered to validate the turning of water into wine, or the creation of the earth in 6 days, or any of the other miracles found therein, folks will begin giving it more credit and not throwing ALL of it out as a fictional work.

Again, in logic, the burden of proof falls on the shoulders of the one making the claims. Not vice versa.

SoundMaster said:
Much contained in the bible has come to be recognized as historical. However, it's the mystical, or miraculous, that so many doubt.

When proof is offered to validate the turning of water into wine, or the creation of the earth in 6 days, or any of the other miracles found therein, folks will begin giving it more credit and not throwing ALL of it out as a fictional work.

Again, in logic, the burden of proof falls on the shoulders of the one making the claims. Not vice versa.
actually that argument is flawed.

if there were empirical proof of miracles, they would cease to be miracles. faith would no longer be required, nor trust, nor the endless search for such truth. we would become simple robots rather than inquisitive beings. if that "proof" were offered, folks would cease to care. faith is integral to religion, to trust in one's belief based on evidence, but a lack of proof. proof comes from within, not science.

Silent Song said:
if there were empirical proof of miracles, they would cease to be miracles. faith would no longer be required, nor trust, nor the endless search for such truth. we would become simple robots rather than inquisitive beings. if that "proof" were offered, folks would cease to care. faith is integral to religion, to trust in one's belief based on evidence, but a lack of proof. proof comes from within, not science.

Yes, and no.
Miracles are defined as the breaking of natural law, or the bending of laws of nature.
This simply can not occur. Hence, no miracles. No matter how much that hurts our feelings.

And trust me, scientisits for example, are the most inquisitive folks in the world - their professions define that for us. Yet, most if not all, steadfastly deny that natural law can ever be broken.
So, YOU may need belief in miracles to be inquisitive, but millions of other folks find beauty, wonder, excitement and knowledge in the NATURAL world.

Also, you say "proof comes from within and not science".
I must wholehearedtly disagree. This belief leads to no truth at all. It's a belief that syas "anything goes". Whatever I want to believe to be true is, whatever you want to believe is true, etc, etc.
With that said, since bin Laden has proof inside his heart that his mission is just and true (and he surely does), then it simply must be, right?

This line of thought is not only wrong, it can be dangerous.

SoundMaster said:
This line of thought is not only wrong, it can be dangerous.
i'm sorry but you must have misread what i said. what you put faith in must be based on evidence. one does not simply accept things as they are, or as they wish they would be. THAT is dangerous.

the "natural law" is defined only as we know it. who are you to claim such "miracles" cannot happen?

Silent Song said:
who are you to claim such "miracles" cannot happen?

They would never happen within the framework of the natural universe. Of course shit like that could happen provided there is some kind of supernatural force making the miracles happen but it only makes sense that if you don't believe in a higher, supernatural being then you'll also believe that miracles of this sort simply cannot occur. This brings us back to the question of whether your God actually exists. Who are you to say that he does? The conversation reaches an impasse at precisely this point.

I'm currently reading Angels and Demons. I have to have to fight against gagging everytime the guy tries to talk about science as if he had a clue about what he's talking about. All of his little perceptions of antimatter are seriously flawed and outright sickening to anyone who knows anything about it. That being said, the religious and artistic sections were entertaining but a far cry from the critical acclaim. I think the sole purpose of the book was to make the readers feel smart and sophisticated.

I just finished both The Da Vinci code and Angels an Demons. I've also read one of his other books, Deception Point.
All great reads and nice to see that a few good books have started a few interesting debates.

With the Da Vinci code i though it was brilliant, good story and at the same time believable. I know a lot of religious people who simply claim it's all lies and then offer no explanation other than "the bible is the truth because it's the bible". Sorry but i'm open to opinion but if people won't even give a decent argument i'm already swaying from their side.
And in my experience, looking into the history of the grail etc just sends you round in circles. Every person or secret order or event seems to be linked to another and none seem to offer a good explanation for what you're looking for. A lot of the web sites i've looked at are so badly made you can just get lost in the material.
I think it'd be great to have one single book or site that could try to bring all the myth together as it's realy interesting.

Cythraul said:
They would never happen within the framework of the natural universe. Of course shit like that could happen provided there is some kind of supernatural force making the miracles happen but it only makes sense that if you don't believe in a higher, supernatural being then you'll also believe that miracles of this sort simply cannot occur. This brings us back to the question of whether your God actually exists. Who are you to say that he does? The conversation reaches an impasse at precisely this point.