The death of CD's

Mp3's are convenient but with storage so cheap, I don't see why anyone would use Mp3s?
I honestly can't tell the difference between a high-bitrate MP3 and its CD counterpart...so all things being equal, I'll go with the much smaller file size. As for the main topic, I download every album before I buy it, and once I buy a CD, I check out the artwork and then it goes on the shelf. The only CDs I actually play are copies made for my car, which is where I listen to most of my music nowadays.

I've never really liked vinyl because of all the annoying noises it makes. Also, vinyl is very limited since most bands don't have any of their albums on vinyl (like Glass Hammer and The Flower Kings). I am starting to notice that music and electronics stores are selling vinyl but I wonder if this is just some hip trend or if it will continue. Right now, I strictly use MP3's but I am thinking about getting Tarkus or Close to the Edge on vinyl and just giving it a shot.

Vinyls are certainly not a "hip trend" :lol: MP3's are.

I don't know a single person who listens to CD's anymore, let alone vinyl! What I mean by hip is like the attitude that if it's retro, it's fashionable like when people go out of their way to buy glass bottle coke and old 1950's cars. I can see vinyl going extinct when the baby boomer population all die.

I don't know a single person who listens to CD's anymore, let alone vinyl! What I mean by hip is like the attitude that if it's retro, it's fashionable like when people go out of their way to buy glass bottle coke and old 1950's cars. I can see vinyl going extinct when the baby boomer population all die.
That glass bottle Coke with the cane sugar is really good. Mmm.

Ain't going to happen. Boomers aren't huge death metal fans. But DM has a massive vinyl scene.

CDs died a couple years ago or so. The dinosaurs won't let them go.

Who you callin' a dinosaur? :heh: :p

Sorry, I will never purchase MP3s from any band, now, if they want to make their stuff available in WAV/SHN/FLAC, I might be lured in...

In this day and age, even most "dinosaurs" can burn their own cds, and convert their own MP3s from better source files. :Smokedev:

Ain't going to happen. Boomers aren't huge death metal fans. But DM has a massive vinyl scene.
Backing Ken here. in my house (all of us between 25 and 28) we listen almost exclusively to vinyl. If you step out of the prog/power metal scene and look at everything from doom to crust to punk to death metal and black metal, Vinyl is arguably as desirable if not moreso than cds, and not just for collections sake either. Most of the people I hang out with have sizable vinyl collections, and that is their music library.