The Devin Townsend Band

Nov 21, 2005
Scotland
www.myspace.com
We've had a thread (more than one, if I remember correctly), about Strapping Young Lad. Opinions there seem pretty mixed, with some people loving the not-too-serious style, and others finding the comedic aspect grating. So how about Devin's solo/DTB albums?

Different vibe, different stance, different attitude... how do people here feel about the other side of Devins work?

Does it make a difference to the way you look at Devin? Do you enjoy it more or less than SYL? Or are you just as indifferent to one as you are to the other? Any thoughts here would be appreciated :)

Its tough for me because the first one I had was Terria, which is just a mindblowing album. Then when getting the rest, I don't think any even approach its excellence. For me tough to say why, he has the great production on all albums, and Synchestra was at least as ecelectic. But I just think the rest of his work is very spotty and inconsistent.

NineFeetUnderground said:
so youre implying his other work isnt comedic, and only SYL is? :erk:

Oh lord no. That's not what I meant. But I see why you're pulling me up, I'm not very clear on this one.

SYL is very blatantly in-your-face sometimes. You know, like they're trying to send out this big 'fuck you' to everyone that can hear. And they take the piss out of metal, and themselves, fairly frequently.

Some of Devins solo work is comedic, but in a different way. It's more eccentric than comedic I would say. Songs like 'Bad Devil' or 'Vampolka/Vampira' aren't serious, this is true. But on the other hand, an album like 'Accelerated Evolution' (while very cheesy in some places), isn't really directly comedic at all. Catch my drift? Or am I still miles away from clarity?

no, i understand you...i was just getting that detail out of the way before we started the discussion...that way we are both on the same page.

i like a handful of his solo work, and appreciate the rest. i think ocean machine and accelerated evolution are his finest achievements yet. theyre querky at times, but sincere, well written and have quite a bit of replay value. i didnt like synchestra much, i think it fell short in many ways after AE. And albums like terria and infinity i thought were too "all over the place" for me to really appreciate as anything but studio/musical experimentation, rather than albums of solid music that i could listen to often and enjoy (although a few songs on each i like quite a bit overall). basically the same reason why most people dont like Floyd's Ummagumma record as much as Meddle or DSOTM. if THAT comparison makes any sense.

but i do think hes extremely talented. some of the harmonies and compositional ideas he comes up with are a near zappa level at times, which demands appreciation and attention regardless. and i still feel he has yet to make his greatest work, so i intend to keep following his progress.

I definately agree about 'Infinity'. Very erratic, nowhere near as cohesive as it should have been. Some interesting ideas, but it lacks an overall direction IMHO. 'Terria', to me, is less guilty of that. Some very interesting soundscapes on that record, and it doesn't feel quite as... well, mad as 'Infinity' does.

'Accelerated Evolution' gets quite a bashing from a number of people in my experience. People think it's 'too cheesy', or 'not experimental enough'. But I find the songwriting to be perhaps the most solid of his career. You're bang on about the sincerity, it feels very genuine on that record.

Personally, I reckon 'Ocean Machine' is his best solo record to date. Even the first two songs illustrate his ability to go from relatively dark ('Seventh Wave'), to brilliantly life-affirming ('Life'). A very good showcase for how talented the man actually is.

'Synchestra', well... tbqh, I haven't given it a huge amount of time yet. It seems... back to a more oddball approach, and I'm not sure how rewarding I'll find giving it more time. I probably will though, at some point.

Like him or not he toured with a killer line up when i was 20 :

Steve Vai
Terry Bozzio
TM Stevens

Man, sharing the stage with these monsters, you better have your shit together.

Ocean Machine and Terria are my favourite.

And SYL is in your face metal with a goofy fuck you attitude that I just love plus you get to hear Gene Hoglan on drums doing things that 95% drummers think are not possible !

I love the earlier Devin Townsend stuff but his last few releases (both solo and SYL) have been disappointing. He just seems to be completely bummed out with music at the moment when you read recent interviews with him. His last solo record and the last two SYL records just sound like him going through the motions. Doing what is expected of him without really feeling that passion. It's too bad, he really is a talented dude, but he just seems to have lost that spark that made his earlier works so unique (like him or hate him, you can't deny that albums like Oceanmachine, Infinity and Terria have a certain uniqueness to them, not in the least because his mild but genuine craziness shines through quite often).

He says he's going to take some time off soon to be with his family. Hopefully that will recharge him mentally so he can come back with something new and unpredictable in the future.

I only have Ocean Machine but I love that. Brilliant record. The production is awesome, the musical ideas are awesome, and the way they are worked out is incredible.

I finds Devs music to be some of the most emotive I have ever heard. The first time I heard 'Mountain' from Terria I was hooked. In my opinion Devs is a genuis, a master of the melody.

I'm a Dev fan. I like SYL and I love DTB. AE has some great songs and is a great first purchase if you're thinking of checking them out. I also love Synchestra despite some of the slightly wierd cheese in places. At first I had it on in the car and just tuned it out after a while but then it really clicked - it has a really spaced out feel, like being stoned on a hot day... don't really know how to describe it.

Opethian666 said:
I only have Ocean Machine but I love that. Brilliant record. The production is awesome, the musical ideas are awesome, and the way they are worked out is incredible.
...and the coverart is awful :cool:

Ahh, here we are!

I have to say that eventhough I am a huge fan of SYL, I always enjoy listening to DTB more. Terria, OM, and Synchestra are masterpieces in my eyes, not saying that Infinity, Physicist, and AE aren't great in their own right.

I really love Synchestra and it's probably my favorite album to come out this year but, I do notice that it divides people.

It is good to see that even when people say they can't stand SYL, they give Devin's other projects a go. Has anyone heard Punky Bruster?

myra said:
Ahh, here we are!

I have to say that eventhough I am a huge fan of SYL, I always enjoy listening to DTB more. Terria, OM, and Synchestra are masterpieces in my eyes, not saying that Infinity, Physicist, and AE aren't great in their own right.

I really love Synchestra and it's probably my favorite album to come out this year but, I do notice that it divides people.

It is good to see that even when people say they can't stand SYL, they give Devin's other projects a go. Has anyone heard Punky Bruster?

Punky Bruster is a very strange album. There is some decent songs on there and although it is funny to some extent the interludes n stuff kinda get annoying.

Accelerated Evolution and Synchestra (except for Gaia) are two of my favorite albums. Listened to AE earlier today actually :)

The song Storm is friggin amazing as is Depth Charge. No question, the lyrics in Traveller and Slow Me Down are incredibly cheesy...but they're such good songs anyhow!!

I haven't heard Physicist yet - should I?