The Devin Townsend Band

Midwinter_melancholY said:
I bought my very first album of the DTB band yesterday. It was my first touch with his music and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised actually. The album is Accelerated Evolution and I read some previous posts about it. I think the material is structured in a very interested way and most important of all: passionate enough to be convincible.

IMO

Nice. Its is indeed a great album.

Midwinter_melancholY said:
I'm hearing 'Terria' now.

This is better than AE. Mùch better!

I don't get it. Terria is incredibly plodding, repetitive and boring to these ears. I really like Ocean Machine, Infinity, and Synchestra, and Accelerated Evolution is about 50% good (the good stuff sure shits all over Terria), but Terria just...yuck. I don't understand why it's so highly regarded among his albums, it's by far the most boring of all of them, unless you count SYL's heavy as a really heavy thing and s/t.

Talking Meat said:
What DVD is this? You mean the video clips that come on his cd's?

The special edition of Synchestra had a really nice bonus live DVD. Some people whined cause they played in the studio instead of it being a filmed concert, but playing in the studio enabled them to have THE BEST SOUND EVER. Seriously, the songs sound nearly identical to the production on Accelerated Evolution and the vocal performance is insane. It was about an hour long, they played a bunch of stuff off AE and a couple songs off of Ocean Machine/Terria/Infinity. It is a great DVD, and it's more than worth seeking out the special edition of Synchestra to get it. Here's the setlist:

Truth
Regulator
Storm
Earth Day
Life
Deadhead (this is the best part of it, this song is AMAZING live)
Away/Deep Peace
Slow Me Down

There's also several entire songs in the form of live videos on the second disc of the special edition of Terria, but they're on a cd so they're pretty small resolution quicktime files :D

wankerness said:
I don't get it. Terria is incredibly plodding, repetitive and boring to these ears. I really like Ocean Machine, Infinity, and Synchestra, and Accelerated Evolution is about 50% good (the good stuff sure shits all over Terria), but Terria just...yuck. I don't understand why it's so highly regarded among his albums, it's by far the most boring of all of them, unless you count SYL's heavy as a really heavy thing and s/t.

I hear a lot of people say that about Terria and Synchestra. I really don't know what it is for Terria that really does it for me, but it's probably my favorite Devin record. I love the way the first two song flow together and then right into the opening of Earth Day. I think it's highly regarding in the sense that it's the most atmospheric and layered of all his albums.

For the person above that just bough Accelerated Evolution..great choice! If you like that one, Synchestra and AE are probably the only two albums that I think sound remotely like each other.

I've heard that he may be re-recording Inifinity next year and the Hummer is coming out very soon.