The Dinner Pictures Thread

I just smash up some avocados and add in salsas and hot sauces and lime juice and salt. Once I buy a molcajete I'll have a real recipe though since peppers and things will be easier to smush :)

Just need to find my way to a mexican mart.

Are there no Mexi-Marts in Dallas?

Another question: do you usually not add cilantro to your guac?
I only made guac once, and the recipe called for onions and cilantro, although I have to admit, that recipe wasn't the best... I need to investigate to find the best Guac recipe.

I like cilantro so much that I would, but since I use salsa for the lazy way out it usually has a bit of cilantro in it already.

I would not add onions, I WOULD add garlic.

And there's meximarts on every street corner :p

I've been researching a lot on mortars and pestles lately so I don't know if I really want a lava rock molcajete or maybe something stoneware instead. I need to find a store that has all types so I can compare, maybe I'll have to stop by Sur la Table sometime.

I have a wooden one that I use for herbs.

I wanted a lava rock one as well, but someone suggested not getting it...
he told me there are a lot of downsides to those... i wish I could remember his reasoning...

and yeah, I would add garlic to just about anything ;)

That's it, I'm making guac this weekend!

I have this exact one:
Made from Olive Wood:

Copie_de_PB010002.JPG

The downside is that they're heavy and sharp so you could end up scratching the countertops easily, also you have to put a lot of effort into seasoning them or you'll be eating sandy rock grit for weeks. It seems a lot of the ones I've seen around are chinese made and not very well so you could end up eating grit forever.

On the plus side they are usually big (4 cups) whereas the marble ones and such are much smaller. The biggest I can find otherwise is a 20 ounce stoneware thing by La Creuset (which is probably very nice though).

I read that asian markets tend to have them too so I might stop by the H-Mart I have been wanting to return to again to shop for something.

Curried vegetables including potatoes, garbanzo beans, fresh spinach, peas, tomatoes, carrots, and onions served over rice with some garlic naan that I didn't make myself. Very good except I was really hunting for a much more intense curry taste at the time.

P8060211.jpg
[/IMG]