The DIY world

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
I"m looking to get into DIY slowly if it is actually cheaper to build. Problem is, when you search, it's usually years old threads with links that don't work. And perhaps it is just me, but I'm overwhelmed by the list of things needed from all kinds of places. Does anybody offer kits like CAPI? All in one? I'd love to build a compressor or even something simple but finding everything you need it a puzzle game. I've built a 1970 API pre with supply before but all the pieces were handed to me for that. Anybody got experience?

Edit: Or you buy from overseas..USA dealers?

If I remember, Fab Dupont (french mix engineer) works with a technicien who builds his own 1176 clones and provides schematics.
I try to find more information on that

I'm starting to see this. The only exception is gear you can't get ala CAPI or maybe a U47 copy of good quality.

I will say it has been extremely useful to be able to fix broken stuff. I can buy broken stuff and get it up and running again and save tons of money. But then you get in that weird place where you have lots of broken equipment laying around and you keep stuff just because one day you MIGHT use parts from it, like me. i have an entire power inverter from a toyota prius hanging out here cause i thought it was cool. hahaha.

I will say it has been extremely useful to be able to fix broken stuff. I can buy broken stuff and get it up and running again and save tons of money. But then you get in that weird place where you have lots of broken equipment laying around and you keep stuff just because one day you MIGHT use parts from it, like me. i have an entire power inverter from a toyota prius hanging out here cause i thought it was cool. hahaha.

I would enjoy a beer with this man.

Hairball makes 1176s pretty easy (the provide links to Mouser carts and there are some really good mnats guidues online). The mono kits are great; the stereo kits with case via Collective Cases isn't so easy. Their LOLA 500-series pre is also amazing. ClassicAPI makes awesome kits, as does Seventh Circle Audio. For a GSSL, Serpent Audio is your best bet.

That said, yeah... it's not THAT much cheaper in a lot of ways. Pres via CAPI are cheaper than elsewhere, but at this point after a bank of CAPI or SCA pres (they make a cool DBX clone, too) and maybe a single 1176 I'd rather start dropping money on real 160s, 163s, Distressors, etc.

Where's the best place to get the GSSL within the USofA?

Hairball makes 1176s pretty easy (the provide links to Mouser carts and there are some really good mnats guidues online). The mono kits are great; the stereo kits with case via Collective Cases isn't so easy. Their LOLA 500-series pre is also amazing. ClassicAPI makes awesome kits, as does Seventh Circle Audio. For a GSSL, Serpent Audio is your best bet.

That said, yeah... it's not THAT much cheaper in a lot of ways. Pres via CAPI are cheaper than elsewhere, but at this point after a bank of CAPI or SCA pres (they make a cool DBX clone, too) and maybe a single 1176 I'd rather start dropping money on real 160s, 163s, Distressors, etc.

Dude, electronic laws are the same everywhere. If you want to build pro stuff clones and pay less money, you can do that. If you want to build pro stuff with very pro things inside, you can do that.
Don't forget, brands always will cost us so much beause they have a patent to pay, and the "trademark" is always expensive.
So, I think DIY is the best way to get pro stuff and KNOW IT BETTER than anyone.
Maybe used pro stuff is cheap, yes, but you never know how it works, what happens when its broken, or where you can take it when it brakes.
I build my own gear, not as pro as 1176 gear, and I can tell you than I understood the way gear works once I really disarmed and check piece by piece inside...

Big companies also get a huge bulk discount on parts, generally have warranties and support centers intact, have really skilled people making the units, and quality control measures in place to ensure consistency (which is better to begin with because of the bulk parts orders at the same time). Sometimes DIY is just not worth the headache, and if it's stuff that interrupts time for sessions then it may be cheaper to buy the stuff at a higher cost than take the time/energy/risk of building it yourself.

That's true.
That's the reason for why everybody that encourages you to start in DIY-road always also recommends to start with easy projects.
An 1176 is not easy, but ain't impossible either...
It's a rule: always you start to learn something you want to do right, you MUST start from the beginning. Yngwie Malmsteen didn't start with Far Beyond the Sun, maybe he started with Vårvindar friska...