The doom metal thread

DanLights, it's funny, you just mentioned the two of the three tracks that I consider to be the weakest on the new Swallow The Sun album :lol: Amazing band, amazing album! They just get better and better for every release, can't wait to hear what they'll put out next. The songwriting on Emerald Forest And The Blackbird is soooo well thought out, only negative point for me is that there's just too much spoken word... But that's just personal preference :)

There is swallow the sun. If you like BMD but want better production you should check out Rapture.
The problem with old PL and Anathema is the production and execution isn't great. There are some great songs there though.

I wish Rapture would release a new album. It's been a while.

The newest Swallow the Sun album is fantastic. The recently released October Tide track is awesome. I am really looking forward to that album.

Slumber is another band worth checking out, too. I suppose they could be classified as doom.

Slumber is another band worth checking out, too. I suppose they could be classified as doom.

I just found those guys a few weeks ago, I enjoyed this track

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VG_KkELmlE&feature=share[/ame]

Some other decent bands

Last edited by a moderator:
The new october tide is going to be awesome.

Yes, yes it is, loved this song.

DanLights, it's funny, you just mentioned the two of the three tracks that I consider to be the weakest on the new Swallow The Sun album :lol: Amazing band, amazing album! They just get better and better for every release, can't wait to hear what they'll put out next. The songwriting on Emerald Forest And The Blackbird is soooo well thought out, only negative point for me is that there's just too much spoken word... But that's just personal preference :)

I totally agree about the spoken word, I understand they're trying to tell a story within the album but I'm just not feeling it, I think it's cool in Labyrinth of London cause it works with the atmosphere of the part (for me, at least), but mainly it just feels lazy. Even in These Woods Breathe Evil from New Moon, never liked that part but the song is one of my favorites

Mike: I checked the bands you posted cause we seem to have similar tastes, and I certainly didn't like Enchantment, honestly just in the intro of the song there's a lot of things wrong and the vocal is not the worst of it :lol: I'd have to check more songs, but I didn't like that one very much. Mindrot, sounds Ok, but didn't captivate me either.

To add to the few Paradise Lost posts, their newest album Tragic Idol has some songs with a strong Doom influence that they hadn't shown in a while, although it's not Doom it's definitely something Doom fans can enjoy, I know I do.

Mike: I checked the bands you posted cause we seem to have similar tastes, and I certainly didn't like Enchantment, honestly just in the intro of the song there's a lot of things wrong and the vocal is not the worst of it :lol: I'd have to check more songs, but I didn't like that one very much. Mindrot, sounds Ok, but didn't captivate me either.

Yeah I reached back into the bowels of the doom archives for those bands. I don't care for Enchantment either, and Mindrot's more of a california crust/doom combo,.

Evoken: Good music from New Jersey if you can believe it.

DAT OUTRO: GOOSEBUMPS

Disembowelment: a nice blend of heavy doom and black metal influenced ambience.

Jake: Two bands I was trying to remember but for some reason couldn't, excellent choices. The first time I heard the disEMBOWELMENT album I thought "this sounds like garbage, how is this supposed to be a doom/death classic?", but at the second listen it really clicked, beautifully horrible album, and Evoken is killer, but you really have to be in the mood, like with Shape of Despair, on a road trip it could make you fall asleep and die a horrible death, but put it on while walking on a cloudy or even better, rainy day, and if you don't get it you're just trying too hard not to.

beautifully horrible album

That's a great way of putting it :)

put it on while walking on a cloudy or even better, rainy day, and if you don't get it you're just trying too hard not to.

In the summer when I go on nature walks at night, Evoken - Quietus is one of my favorite albums to listen to. Something just clicks. I could list a few more albums that are great for this, but they're not doom.

First page someone mentioned Agalloch - Fucking love Agalloch. If anyone doesn't like Agalloch or can't relate to their music then they are hollow shells of people who feel nothing and are afraid of their own emotions. That's not even in the realm of being an opinion. Not doom metal in the slightest... but it has insane vibe for sure.