The End Records on Fortune Small Business -- good article

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Article on CNN Money.com

Few things worth mentioning:

1 - Why the move to Brooklyn, NY? I can't imagine the increase in overheads, but it's got to be some personal reason maybe

2 - Did I read that right? $3m in annual revenue for '06?

3 - Novembers Doom. Poised to become the flagship band for The End perhaps?

Very interesting.

I think the NY move was in part to have easier access to the resources the industry offers here. I think NY is still the music capital of the US like LA is for movies ...

I do agree with the person that recommended to them that the site needs to be more interactive ... with bands getting more involved (and most would jump on this), world maps showing where the bands originate (great way to support my Romanian compadres).

If they are "the" leader in Metal Sales ... they need more involvement from the fans and bands.

Heck, the site Forum is pretty stagnant and innactive. I would make this a prominent feature of the site. Your customers could always leave great feedback and tips on usability.

Good find Ali!

that was a pretty interesting article. Cheers for posting it Jay!

When Tower Records folded in October, The End lost a major distributor that was more friendly to indie labels than are mainstream giant

I'm STILL pissed about Tower folding...they were the one local record store that I could always count on having a decent stock of good metal bands. They were replaced with FYE, so now if I want to go to a record store and find quality metal, I have to drive out to Hollywood to Amoeba Records (which is the greatest place ever to buy music, the traffic is a bitch).

Andreas Katsambas is the man.

I would also open the warehouse doors for retail sales.

If smaller shops have become destinations over the years, a well known brand like TER can definetelly create a great shop / hang out place.

Even if they don't create a full blown "retail store" ... just a few interactive kiosks up front that you can order from ... some guy brings you stuff from the back ... and create a real community vibe in this "waiting area" that would rock! Surely a pit stop for bands and other industry folk.

Of course it might be more trouble than its worth ... but they are in a pretty easy to get to location with public transport and car ... and certainly have the "brand" already pretty built up.

The challenge would be bringing an "internet" co. to the real world. This might be a first.

I would also open the warehouse doors for retail sales.

If smaller shops have become destinations over the years, a well known brand like TER can definetelly create a great shop / hang out place.

Even if they don't create a full blown "retail store" ... just a few interactive kiosks up front that you can order from ... some guy brings you stuff from the back ... and create a real community vibe in this "waiting area" that would rock! Surely a pit stop for bands and other industry folk.

Of course it might be more trouble than its worth ... but they are in a pretty easy to get to location with public transport and car ... and certainly have the "brand" already pretty built up.

The challenge would be bringing an "internet" co. to the real world. This might be a first.
All they'd have to do is put up a table to serve as a counter and get a sign out front? Then when people come in do what they do when someone orders from the interweb... And if all goes well they can get a couch and a display shelf and shit.

Not sure who would have bought from Tower Records when you can buy directly from The End....so are we saying there's a whole market of metal fans that don't yet buy on-line? (Unless of course you're tapping into the mainstream public who would otherwise buy indie and pop albums and just so happen to come across Nokturnal Mortum's "Goat Horns" and throw caution to the wind).

By the way, having some sort of storefront to their Brooklyn abode provides an area for in-store signings too. I dunno though, it might be more overhead, but there's definitely something interesting about having a community "hub" in one of the boroughs.

The End needs an annual festival in NY: featuring their own bands, selling their own merch, selling any CD in their inventory, taking profits off the alcohol and ticket prices. Surely, this has to be one HUGE benefit of setting up HQ in one of the boroughs. The fact is, people would show up, not like in Utah where people go cow tipping and huff gas and listen to Goatsblood.

The thing with "online shopping" is that a lot of kiddies do not have Credit Cards to buy stuff online. Paypal fills that void somewhat of course ...

If they opened their doors to retail ... i would setup a bar next door :loco:

[thinking aloud]

Thing is, why would kids with no credit cards want to travel to Brooklyn and buy from a The End "brick&mortar" storefront with cash, as opposed to just going to the local FYE....

- different choice of CDs / vinyl
- better prices
- occasional band appearances

I dunno, I suspect there has to be more to entice the kids and their $

It is clear that the on-line distro is the BACKBONE to the entire operation. I suppose one benefit to selling in a storefront is that you eliminate a few shipping costs to those buying in-person

Man, it is going to be tough. I know NYC is a metropolis loaded with people and a thriving economy, but this move to Brooklyn looks like a 'make or break' deal

There are a hell of a lot more opportunities in NY for a business like TER ... and from the sound of the article and their plea for ideas ... they are actively searching for them.

Creating some kind of local "scene" around their operation I think would be the best idea. It speaks volumes to the overall worldwide community and would keep the current customers loyal.

Not to mention all the free PR when anything would go down there.

But of course if the people involved in the business are not the "social" type ... it would involve getting someone / partner that could make it happen.

Thing is, why would kids with no credit cards want to travel to Brooklyn and buy from a The End "brick&mortar" storefront with cash, as opposed to just going to the local FYE....

you underestimate the cool/niche factor of a place like TER ... especially teens feed off of this.

did you ever hear of Slipped Disc Records in Long Island? ... ok, its just a record store, not a major distributor ... but after 20 or so years are still around. People still shop there coming from all over the Tri State Area ...

I am sure its the same with Vintage Vinyl ...

The only thing with both above is that they are a bit old school in their approach and store feel

TER could capitalize on the young'ns

Article on CNN Money.com

Few things worth mentioning:

1 - Why the move to Brooklyn, NY? I can't imagine the increase in overheads, but it's got to be some personal reason maybe

3 - Novembers Doom. Poised to become the flagship band for The End perhaps?

1. I believe he moved there for his wife. She was attending university in Utah if my memory serves me correctly.

3. Unless Novembers Doom begins to conform their sound to Slipknot's they won't be carrying any company on their shoulders.

Overall a good article, a little pompous though. These business advisors are offering suggestions as if every pimple faced teenager on a skateboard is pumping Agalloch through their Ipod. While Metal music does seem to be increasing in popularity, it is far beneath the reaches of profitability. Hell just look at all the chaps who have collections comprised majorily of mp3s. The 1% of sales from the digital medium statistic says nothing about the marketplace. The target customer can not be accounted for, the average bloke accesses his music via torrents, ftp servers, and the like.

Article on CNN Money.com
He says he was struck by the large number of international bands on the label. "I was thinking it would be really neat on the Web site if you had a world map that showed where all the bands come from," he says. Katsambas nods approvingly and writes down the suggestion.

No. What I need to be able to have is the ability to navigate through a website without a clusterfuck of options. I'm on your website for one simple reason, to purchase albums, not for a geography lesson.

Article said:
"When I go to the Web site, I'd like to be able to find out more about the bands," says Levy. "If you have bands that are really motivated, you should make them create more content for your site. You've got the kind of audience that really wants to know more. You can create original content like audio interviews, or just Q&As, or open up the Q&As to the fans."

There are 1001 different websites/forums that offer this, I fail to see how this would inflate profits?

Article said:
It can't be that your audience is so alienated that they don't shop in stores and go places."
Nope. I really do not gandervant(sp?) anywhere. I can't stand hob knobbing with blue haired cretans at Amoeba Records, or spiked wrist wankers at the local Tower Music. Andreas best bet would be to open up a stand at the local fests ala HC, Chicago Powerfest, ProgPower , yadda yadda. Though I doubt that the sales would make up for the cost of an airline ticket.

There are a hell of a lot more opportunities in NY for a business like TER ... and from the sound of the article and their plea for ideas ... they are actively searching for them.

Creating some kind of local "scene" around their operation I think would be the best idea. It speaks volumes to the overall worldwide community and would keep the current customers loyal.

Not to mention all the free PR when anything would go down there.

But of course if the people involved in the business are not the "social" type ... it would involve getting someone / partner that could make it happen.

Yes. This could work, but seriously, UGH. I'm not sure where Andreas heart is at, but I for one wouldn't want a store front that attracts a bunch of scenester faggots looking to latch on to the next big fad.

Interesting article, though it does disturb me to see a label who has continued to sign highly unconvential (although part of their game plan, namely expanding beyond metal) acts like Unexpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and Estradapshere relying on the advice of consultants and other industry leeches...it's a very safe assumption that the bulk of the $3 million is from their mailorder, though having someone like Agalloch can't hurt. Neither would opening a storefront.

JayKeeley said:
The End needs an annual festival in NY: featuring their own bands, selling their own merch, selling any CD in their inventory, taking profits off the alcohol and ticket prices. Surely, this has to be one HUGE benefit of setting up HQ in one of the boroughs. The fact is, people would show up, not like in Utah where people go cow tipping and huff gas and listen to Goatsblood.

that would be pretty badass if they were able to get all of their bands (minus Thine Eyes Bleed and Crisis because they suck) to play a huge TER festival. I would totally go to that.