The End Records will not be in attendance

A great underground extreme metal label with a great distro would be Abyss Records. I've bought a bunch of their stuff. They deal in no melodic stuff, but I'd love to have them there. :)

Yeah, back in the day they used to be pretty good, offering CDs at around 10-11 bucks, but I've been buying less from them lately. I've mostly been buying stuff that they have been clearing out (like the Nuclear Blast deal that they had), but even their sales aren't THAT great of a deal most of the time.

Yeah, back in the day they used to be pretty good, offering CDs at around 10-11 bucks, but I've been buying less from them lately. I've mostly been buying stuff that they have been clearing out (like the Nuclear Blast deal that they had), but even their sales aren't THAT great of a deal most of the time.
I've read people knocking The End because their prices aren't as good as they once were. My question is... who has better prices?

Zod

I've read people knocking The End because their prices aren't as good as they once were. My question is... who has better prices?

Zod

Well Greg I think all depends on the titles. Lately I have found that I find the music I like before TER has it on Amazon or Laser's Edge at prices competitive enough that allows me to make hauls.

I think the advantage with TER it's mostly for people living inside USA, since you can buy CDs one by one and still ask for free S&H, so the price indeed it's better. But for me the whole game is to buy 3-4 CDs at the time so my final international S&H justify the price per unit.

I don't know what the heck is happening with that label.
They used to be the best mail order out there.
A while back, all my money was spent at their table at Milwaukee Metalfest.

Their recent label signings (IE - Lordi, Mindless Self Indulgence, Tub Ring, Juliette Lewis, etc.) indicate they have little interest in underground metal.

It's a damn shame, considering they are home to arguably the two best dark metal bands here in the states, in Novembers Doom and Agalloch.

just speaking as a felllow record label i have always applauded what THE END has done. they do what they want and when they want. you mentioned they released two of the best dark metal bands, so are they not entitled to do something different. i would also like to point out that LORDI were nobody in the US until The End took hold and promoted the crap out of them here in the US. they are still one of the labels out there pushing the limits of what can be thought of as mainstream, even if i don't like most of what they release. they are an inspiration to me to keep pushing hard and doing releases that i love.

just speaking as a felllow record label i have always applauded what THE END has done. they do what they want and when they want. you mentioned they released two of the best dark metal bands, so are they not entitled to do something different. i would also like to point out that LORDI were nobody in the US until The End took hold and promoted the crap out of them here in the US. they are still one of the labels out there pushing the limits of what can be thought of as mainstream, even if i don't like most of what they release. they are an inspiration to me to keep pushing hard and doing releases that i love.

I have no problem with them expanding their roster with different sounding bands.

There just seems to be a direct correlation between the changing roster with their decrease customer service to the underground scene (IE - mailorder service, cancelling out on festivals, etc).

I would think their focus on more of a mainstream sound would have some influence on their decision to bow out of Prog Power. I could be completely wrong, but that's how it seems to me as an outsider.

I have no problem with them expanding their roster with different sounding bands.

There just seems to be a direct correlation between the changing roster with their decrease customer service to the underground scene (IE - mailorder service, cancelling out on festivals, etc).

I would think their focus on more of a mainstream sound would have some influence on their decision to bow out of Prog Power. I could be completely wrong, but that's how it seems to me as an outsider.

i know a few of the people working there and they always seem busy which could be a good and bad thing. "good" being in the fact that they are always busy and cannot keep up with orders, etc or "bad" with current economic climate bringing lay-offs leaving less people to shoulder the same busy workload. i do not know for a fact, but regardless i never have a problem ordering from them.

i guess the important thing to remember is that we have to support who we can regardless of it taking a few extra days to get our releases. if you don't support businesses like The End and they go under who is really going to take their place? they have such a diverse selection of titles for everyone to choose from. it's hard to find that now, everyone else is very genre specific.

I still order from them quite a bit. I've started going to other places, but they are still my #1 place for CD's. I'm a big fan of their 3.33 daily special.

Red Stream were on the waiting list but they aren't returning calls/emails, if someone has a personal contact with them, have them contact us.

We did pass on another vendor as well that was too heavy in another genre and would probably lose their butts by attending. So the list is open for a new vendor - which I think is only the second time in fest history.

I think Gregg @ Harder-Edged-Music.com would make a killing at this fest, but just try to convince him to get a table! :) I"ll mention it to him when I talk to him in a couple days...

Hmm, I imagine Glenn would want to replace a CD dealer with another CD vendor, but a friend of mine who makes leather armor (for, e.g., Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir) was interested in attending as a vendor. I always told him "Dude, it's always full." :)

I obviously have no idea of the specifics of what's happening with them, but from an outside perspective, it seems like The End has had nothing but problems since they moved from Utah to New York?

That's been my definite impression, yep.

I'll still order from them, as their prices with free shipping are at least competitive and sometimes really great, but shipping times have increased slightly (for me).

At one point TER had gotten so big, that the metal labels (CM, NB) raised their wholesale prices on CDs by $2 per unit...which is why TER's prices increased across-the-board a few years ago. Victims of their own success, in a way.

TER ceased to be a good deal for me a long time ago. Why pay $17.00 USD for a cd + shipping

You paid for shipping? From TER? How?

Hmm, I imagine Glenn would want to replace a CD dealer with another CD vendor, but a friend of mine who makes leather armor (for, e.g., Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir) was interested in attending as a vendor. I always told him "Dude, it's always full." :)

That would definitely be interesting, but I have to wonder what kind of sales he would do. It would probably be a bit difficult to get many people who are looking primarily for CD's, and maybe a few shirts, to suddenly buy handmade leather armor, which can't be cheap.

That's been my definite impression, yep.

I'll still order from them, as their prices with free shipping are at least competitive and sometimes really great, but shipping times have increased slightly (for me).

At one point TER had gotten so big, that the metal labels (CM, NB) raised their wholesale prices on CDs by $2 per unit...which is why TER's prices increased across-the-board a few years ago. Victims of their own success, in a way.

Interesting... I wasn't aware of the wholesale price bump. Though I'm guessing the labels who did that may have just wound up shooting themselves in the foot.

You paid for shipping? From TER? How?

If I recall correctly their "free media mail" shipping used to include Canada, but no longer does.

I thought Hard'N'Heavy was goin to attend but nothing says in their site: www.hardnheavy.com. Another interesting choice maybe Metal Disc, a bit expensive but they carry some stuff I hadn't seen anywhere www.metaldisc.com

he ripped me off. three orders of stuff on consignment, then no payment when everything sold. he sucks.

WHAT?!!!! This store used to be right near my house and this guy rules! I've bought stuff from him since and have never once gotten ripped off and it's came to me quickly. The guy knows his stuff and has good prices.

He would be excellent for this fest considering he specializes in prog and power metal, but with laser's edge being at progpower for years I doubt it'll happen.