The everything thread

Im always using my tremelo arm at gigs. There is one original song we play that finish's with a note ringing.. so I dive the bar down slowly and get a bassy drown effect before entering into the next song. It just adds a bit of variety just like any other technique.

Yo Rabs brotha,

I noticed that you have gotten 2nd on the 'top 10 posters' list...
Have you taken my advice into action? :p;)

Originally posted by Adde
Any guitarrist here wanna share some tips regarding cool ways using the tremolo arm. It`s really a cool thing to use sometimes, especially in longer solos, both Adrian and Dave have used it quite a lot, and very well to I think. Unfortunatly I have no locking device for my strings so I cant do really wild bombing stuff but I can shake and press the arm pretty much I think for the guitar to get out of tune. Rabies, if I dont remember wrong, you used to be, or still are, into the tremolo arm thing, share some tips will ya! :)

Here is a big tip. Do you listen/like Steve Vai? Even if you don't - if you are a serious guitarist, you should give him a listen. He does some incredible things with the guitar....and he alone will give you all kinds of ideas with the whammy. Its unreal. He plays melodies using the whammy to change notes, general vibrato, dive bombs, squeals...if your whammy is 'tight' enough..you can hold a note and (for lack of a better term) flick the whammy (push down lightly and release) to make a cool 'warble' noise...or the extreme...if you have a floyd, play a music passage while banging the shit out of the guitar with your right hand. If you have a floyd with a floating bridge, if you whack the body near the bridge while playing, it will cause it to warble as well..making a wicked sound.

Those are some of the things he does....with a Whammy.

'nother neat trick. Push down on whammy while sliding a note up the fretboard at the same time. Try to keep the pitch of the note stable as you do this...if done right, makes a really bizzare vibrato to the note as your fingers go over each fret. Very, Very, Very difficult to do. The reverse works too (pull up on whammy while sliding note down in unison)...but is harder and has less range...as you cannot pull up on whammy as far as you can go down.

Let the mind wonder...and experiment. None of this is particularly usefull in Maiden songs though...altough they dive-bomb occasionally...

...of course..most of my tricks require a locking nut and a floyd...I have never used any other kind...so I dunno what you can with those..other than just use it to vibrato...or use it in lieu of sliding a note or bending a note. Anyplace where you alter the pitch of the note in some way (bend, slide, vibrato, etc) with your fingers can be duplicated with a slightly different result using the bar.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I`ll start practicing and experimment a bit :) I have heard a few tunes with Steve Vai, he`s really an awsome player, I think I`ll download some of his stuff to see what he does with the whammy :) I tried out that sliding thing you mentioned and it sounds really fine if you do it correctly, must work moore on it though...

Yeah, seriously it'll be a tough game, both teams have quite equal chances.
We'll just have to wait and see...:)

Yeah, It`s always tough games when theese two teams meet :) It`s not a very imortant game tonight I guess cuz it`s still just the beginning of the tournament...

So, they won fair ans square, Finland. 5 - 4.
It was a tough game, but apparently Finland grabbed their chances of scoring, when the opportunities came around. Not that this game meant so much, but anyway. The tension, THE TENSION! :) It's always more tension and aggressive athmosphere when we're playing against each other. Arch rivals. Hmm..., we'll see, next time.

Yeah, it was a good game although there was some dirty mistakes from the ref...Few dirty moves that should have been punished by the ref.

Nurminen played quite good match.

Btw, it was the first game of ours in this tournament worth to watch.
There's always something special in those matches like you said. :)

Just out of curiosity: How did the Swedish newspapers react to the loss?
I haven't seen todays paper yet, gotta check it out when I get home. :)