The everything thread

I've started practicing playing bass with my fingers again, so I figured that Number of the Beast would be a good song to learn...but....the timing they use on the sustained chords right before the main verse throws me every time. Does anyone know what the timing to that part is? I tried programming it in midi to see if I could figure it out, I used 10/8 as the time signature and that works for the main part, but I get lost when it's time for the sustained chords. I downloaded a midi of it from the net and opened it with my program, and that version switched between 4/4 and 6/4 during the first section. That version sounds right but switching back and forth between 4/4 and 6/4 looked pretty strange.
I'm pretty sure after the first part the rest of the song is 4/4.
Do any of you know what the timing is for the first part of the song?

Isn't the entire intro and the sustained chords right before the verse all in 5/4? ...That always worked for my counting..

..then of course, the main verse and all is in standard 4/4...but the 4/4 actually starts 1 measure before the verse (or the very last sustained chord)......and 4/4 is maintained (as you said) until the very end when they repeat the intro riff....there it changes back into 5/4.

There might have been a couple of odd measure here and there (shucks..most maiden songs have those odd measure here and there..) in the song..I don't remember. I don't normally pay attention to this stuff as it really does not come into play for me unless I am tabbing/scoring....or trying make sure I come in perfect time on bizzare sections (like the sustained chords part in this song).

...switching back and forth between 4/4 and 6/4......I don't think that is acceptable in scoring....somebody should be shot for that....not to mention is must have been a bitch to keep switching the time sig in their scoring program.

Let me know what you find out. Make me a better musician. :)

btw...me and crossy are waiting to do this song. MaidenMan laid down a drum track for it a while back. If you want, I can get that drum track to you.

Maybe if you get it down well in a short time frame, you can lay the bass track down for us?

..that is..if Constantine does not mind. I'm just looking to help him out. He has so many he is signed up for!

Rabies:
I'll try 5/4 and see if that makes better sense to me. Thanks. I don't usually mess around with scoring, or reading music unless I absolutely have too!:D It's one of the things I always say I'm going to get serious about and learn properly, but I always find a way out of it.lol.

I can almost play notb all the way through, my fingers get tired toward the end. I'm interested in doing the bass track if Constantine doesn't mind. I think I can do it but I'll need to get that timing down though!

Hey everyone. What is going on with all of the color changes?

I have a question for you all. I did a search on here to see if there was an official number of the beast thread. I've been practicing this song and I wanted to see if anything official was ever posted here about it, anyway...my search didn't turn up anything useful, but it showed me a couple of things, one of them was a link to the Blaze board (I think)....anyway, I clicked on it for some reason and it led me to a thread where people were talking about something Bruce D. supposedly said somewhere, sometime, ....I didn't check out the link to find out what he said, it was something else that was posted on the board that made me write this...
People were commenting on what a terrible album Brave New World is.....What????? Am I going tone deaf in my old age or something???? I think Brave new world is one of Maidens best!
Anyway, I just thought I'd run it by you all to see what you think.
:confused:

NOTB started a while back..and really has not gotten anywhere yet (other projects on the front burner)...so the official thread may have been on the old board....but not here. I think the only official thread stuff just said who was going to be on the project..and that the drum track was done. You can restart another one if you want. :)

It does not surprise me that you saw people slamming BNW on the Blaze board....it is the Blaze board. Maybe they just think Maiden sucks without Blaze *shrug*. To each their own.

I personally think BNW is the best maiden album since Powerslave....and thats saying something as I really liked 7th son

Is the notb drum track maidenman did posted somewhere that I might be able to download it? I would like to have it, so I could practice along to it.

About Blaze:
I have to admit that when I heard the Xfactor album, one of the first things I thought was: "Who is this guy singing? It sounds like they plucked somebody off of the road crew to sing" I honestly couldn't stand Blaze's voice. I took the album back and got a refund. I don't like to criticize people and I don't want to get people mad at me for talking bad about Blaze but that is how I felt at the time.
When Bruce came back, I bought Brave New World, and liked it so much that I went and bought Xfactor, and Virtual XI. I actually like those albums now, but I still don't care for Blaze's voice much.
I want to buy his solo album, all of the sound clips I've heard of it sound good to me. I will buy it if I ever see it in a store here, and I don't have to buy it as an import.
I guess my point is that I don't understand the logic of people who will criticize something, Brave New World, for example, because they like Blaze and he isn't in Maiden anymore.
I should have considered the source of the criticism, the Blaze board, but it just didn't occur to me at the time!
:)
Blaze fans: Don't take this post personally, I'm not trying to insult anyone, or make anyone mad. If this post offends you, then I apologize now, I didn't intend to do that. :)

IMO BNW is quite good, but nothing exceptionally great.
And the Blaze album is 'kin great, I actually have been listening to it more than BNW...

Each to their own like it has been said. :)

Ah, the beast timing is getting me a little. Mainly the intro. At a slower speed its no trouble, but at the originals speed its tough. I won't be recording any more tracks until I get a pod. Which I hope won't be too far off. So all the songs im doing are on the back burner for a month or so. However once I get the pod I expect to have the songs completed pretty quick. I have learnt most of them :)

As far as Blaze goes. I have heard one too many live bootlegs with Blaze from the maiden era!

Notb timing gets me when they go into the sustained chords, none of the tempo's that I've tried using during the first part of the intro will get me through that part on time. I think that maybe they just did it by feel. They are all in perfect time on it, so whatever they used worked for them!:)

I just tried out the pod, and decided it wasn't for me. I'm too used to having an amp, now if I could just afford a better amp, I would be happy!
:)

I think I've been practicing too much the last couple of weeks because my fret hand is starting to hurt, I'm going to try and take it easy for a few days and hopefully the pain will go away.
It's probably just overworked from practicing the guitar, and bass.

I have not played along to it for a while...I know in concert Nicko hits the hi-hat or something and they come in a beat later. In the studio they probably had a click track where that cue was there..and was removed in the mix. That just means its going to be a bitch for us to record.

Tried the POD and didn't like it eh? Certainly it does not replace a real amp/cabinet for playing...nothing beats the experience...but for home recording, you can't beat the convenience.

..when you got a wife and 6 month old..you get real used to playing with headphones only....as it becomes your only alternative. :p

I do get to go downstairs and plug into the amp/cabinet occasionally....but not between the hours of 11pm and 2am ..the only time I get to work on IMG stuff...=(

Originally posted by rabies
Tried the POD and didn't like it eh? Certainly it does not replace a real amp/cabinet for playing...nothing beats the experience...but for home recording, you can't beat the convenience.

..when you got a wife and 6 month old..you get real used to playing with headphones only....as it becomes your only alternative. :p

I do get to go downstairs and plug into the amp/cabinet occasionally....but not between the hours of 11pm and 2am ..the only time I get to work on IMG stuff...=(

Yeah, I was really surprised that It didn't work for me. I brought the thing home and plugged it in, and I couldn't get it to stop buzzing. I tried everything, moving it, moving my guitar, different outlet, cables, etc... I even tried using it with my monitor off, and I still had the buzz.
I tried to figure out something that would work but I gave up.
(Oops, I forgot to mention this when I originally posted this...
I've gotten used to all of the little buzzes and hums that my little amp gives me, and it was actually harder for me to get a good tone out of the pod because of my setup, and the problems mentioned above, sorry about the edit....just look at my sig!)

I hear you on the situation with the wife and baby. I have a power amp and two cabs, that are sitting collecting dust because I can't even turn the thing on without it being too loud. If I'm lucky, I get to use my baby Marshall, and turn it up to about two. Most of the time I just practice without an amp at all! I've been trying to find a low wattage tube amp that I can use, but they are hard to find, and usually too expensive! :)
:) :)

Oh, boy.

I'm sorry but I just need to vent my frustration for a little bit.
I Injured my fret hand and for about two weeks now I haven't been able to play worth a darn. I thought maybe it was just a little tendonitis from practicing too much, but it isn't getting better.
I tried not playing at all for a few days and it didn't help. AARRGGHH!

I bought a pod, returned a pod, it was noisy....but.........I didn't get a refund, I got in store credit, everything I bought with the credit, with the exception of a microphone, stand, and new cables, I ended up returning because they didn't work right (noise).
I decided to upgrade my soundcard to the SoundBlaster Live, hoping that it might help fix the noise problem. I know it's a good card, but......The very intellectually gifted individuals who designed the computer I'm using put the power supply too close to the expansion slots. When I installed the card, the power supply made contact with the connectors for my Cd and Dvd player. I managed to find a workaround to make everything fit....but......when I used the line out on the card to experiment with it a little.....(noise....noise...noise...) I had to take the card back.

So basically, I'm begining to think that the origin of all of the noise I'm getting from devices that I've tried, might be coming from the computer itself, or possibly bad wiring in my house. I'm going to see if I can relocate my computer, and try to get more distance between my monitor and cpu, maybe that will help.
It's just bad luck. I guess.:mad:
Ok, I'm finished whining.:)

You know... I thought it was real wierd that you were complaining about the POD being noisy. It is completely silent for me...and I use a SoundBlaster live platinum 5.1 with it. During recording, my silent parts are 100% silent..even the waveform shows no activity.

Jim has the same setup. I think we are both as happy as can be with this setup.

..oh and crossy..what kinda click track do you need? Just the the intro? Just a click for the crashing chord part?

Have you tried just converting the original song into wave format and importing that into the mix (kinda low) along with MMs Drums? That is the ultimate click track (to a degree).

I can make a click track for you..but I need to know what you are looking for.

Thanks mate.

I wasn't able to access the board for a while, but I'm not complaining because it seems that the last thread I started didn't migrate to this server. ;)
I'll just pretend I never posted it in the first place.....:lol: