The Extreme Music Forum's Top Recommended Albums Lists

The Death Metal list is pretty solid. None So Vile should be on there, though. It's awesome to see Elvenefris on there, too. Altars of Madness is the greatest DM album of all time, so I'm not surprised to see it as number 1. Edit: THIS LIST NEEDS THE FUCKING CHASM!!!!!!!!!!

That analogy sucks because motorhead isn't thrash. Death is death metal.

Death is proto-death. They didn't have the sound that bands like Morbid Angel and Deicide hammered down. They paved the way, dropped some CLASSIC albums, but are a different sound. Just like Venom with black metal.

The lists are not awful, lots of great albums there. But I also miss at least one Death album (Leprosy) and Elvenefris wouldn't make my top 25 list. First Runemagick album comes to mind...

I'd also add Covenant to the DM list, it's my favorite Morbid Angel album by far.

Would definitely add the first Taake to the BM list.

Death is proto-death. They didn't have the sound that bands like Morbid Angel and Deicide hammered down. They paved the way, dropped some CLASSIC albums, but are a different sound. Just like Venom with black metal.

I'm going to agree with this. Death hasn't really released any pure Death Metal albums. Leprosy came close, but by 1989, bands were out there playing true Death Metal. Chuck did a lot for Death Metal but didn't play much of it.

It's not like Altars is 100% "pure" and removed of thrash influence either. And I don't really hear much thrash on Leprosy and Spiritual Healing anyways.

Death is proto-death.

Death hasn't really released any pure Death Metal albums....

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

wow, just fucking wow.

edit: I wonder how many more people there are that think this, i'm honestly dumbfounded to find anyone with such an opinion, let alone people on a metal forum that actually know what the fuck they're listening to.

Early Slayer is almost proto death. Death is death metal if Possessed is and Possessed sure as fuck is.

tbh a good number of songs from Seven Churches basically are straight-up thrash metal. But Death went well beyond those.

I can see how Death could be considered "not death metal" if Individual Thought Patterns,Symbolic, and The Sound of Perseverance are all that's considered. But to claim that any of their first four albums aren't death metal is erroneous. Sure, it doesn't sound like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, but, if that's the argument, why is Nespithe #2? Why is Obscura #10? And why is Atheist even considered?

It's not a bad list overall, but it's definitely not mine.

The Chasm has 2 albums in the top 50, but as much as I personally love Deathcult, I don't think they're more deserving than any of the bands listed except maybe Entombed, Molested, and Lykathea Aflame.

Well, when trying to take an objective stance, that is. I personally prefer The Chasm to Dismember/Immolation but I know I'm missing something there.

First two Deicide albums get waaaay too much praise, those albums are pretty fucking mediocre at best .... should i take this to the controversial opinions thread?

I used to agree with this, but Legion is starting to stand out quite a bit to me. S/T is still pretty boring though.

The early Death albums were proto-death metal? What the fuck is going on in this thread?

Unbound faggotry.

Deicide's first three are all quality. Probably not top 25 ever but OUtC is great and the vocals on the s/t are some of my favorite death vocals ever.