The flow: a dialectic analysis of Opeth's development

Black Session

Heretic Misanthrope
Oct 5, 2005
Brugge, Belgium
With hearing the new songs and listening again to the older albums, a certain evolution struck me most of all. I'm going to apply dialectic reasoning on this one:
We all agree that the first 2 albums (glorious as the were and still are) mainly consist of compositions in which different ideas were pasted together. This resulted in long but somewhat incoherent "songs", that perhaps could be considered more to tell a story.
With My Arms, Your Hearse one of the main changes was a development to real songs. This became even stronger on Still Life and reached a peak on Blackwater Park, on which the songs form a flowing, coherent whole. We might say that the song writing skills of Mikael improved drastically on those albums.
Then however a new change started which couldn't be noticed at the time being probably but is now in retrospect becoming clear. While Damnation is the ultimate expression of mere songwriting of the band Opeth, Deliverance started to show some more incoherence already, which added to a chaotic and dark feeling. This certainly continued on Ghost Reveries where every composition contains too many ideas to handle at once. Never however did this mean a return to the first 2 albums, but it was a new moving away from mere songwriting. This trend is becoming very clear now with Watershed (for which I'm sticking to the 3 released songs to discuss obviously) which apparently contains even more chaotic feelings and shows a strong diminishing of natural flow. This has lead to several threads already about how people don't like certain endings, or state that it's "disjointed" or that certain parts don't fit as well ...

Now, the first stage we could consider the thesis, with an almost complete lack of coherence and songwriting (brilliant as it was). The second stage then forms the antithesis in which Mikael became a very good songwriter (which can also be noticed in sideprojects he developed during this time). This was expressed most of all on Blackwater Park and Damnation, which explains their success with a bigger crowd.
The current stage then forms the synthesis in which all the gathered skills and experiences are being gathered and expressed in a new way. Mikael hasn't forgotten how to write decent songs and how to create compositions with a natural flow to it, but he ventures into new ways of using it and incorporates an experimental chaos in the compositions, which certainly are not at all a return to the patchwork of ideas, but do contain a lot of sudden changes, hooks, antipodes, and so on ...

This means that Watershed truely is a masterpiece and I consider this one the main expression of this phase in Opeth's development, in the same way as Morningrise was for the first phase, and Blackwater Park was for the second phase.

OK, let's see if this can spark a bit more mature discussion around here, and if this thread doesn't die so soon as the other nice debate threads.

Now, the first stage we could consider the thesis, with an almost complete lack of coherence and songwriting (brilliant as it was). The second stage then forms the antithesis in which Mikael became a very good songwriter (which can also be noticed in sideprojects he developed during this time). This was expressed most of all on Blackwater Park and Damnation, which explains their success with a bigger crowd.
The current stage then forms the synthesis in which all the gathered skills and experiences are being gathered and expressed in a new way. Mikael hasn't forgotten how to write decent songs and how to create compositions with a natural flow to it, but he ventures into new ways of using it and incorporates an experimental chaos in the compositions, which certainly are not at all a return to the patchwork of ideas, but do contain a lot of sudden changes, hooks, antipodes, and so on ...

I guess Mike is challenging himself as a songwriter, and that's a fantastic way to bring Opeth's music to a new level. Personally I could have never imagined that Opeth would create a song like "The Lotus Eater" just 5 years ago. It's amazing to get something really fresh and surprising in the 9th studio album.

It might be slightly chaotic and full of sudden changes, but it still sounds so much more coherent and solid than the songs from the first 2 albums.

I have to admit, on hearing the released songs for the first time, I was a little dissapointed. In particular, I thought Porcelain Heart's flow was disjointed and rushed..:erk:

But after listening to them a few more times, and getting to grips with them, I've found that I enjoy them immensely, and grown to love those sudden changes. I urge anyone unsure about the new tunes (and I really don't think there are many) to give them a chance to grow and breathe, as it were. Their brilliance will dawn on you :)

^I've been trying, there are parts on the songs where I just can't stand the clean singing, just too much.

Seems like Watershed is just Opeth being Opeth.
I expected nothing less.
Opeth are metal titans of this era.

Is it a great synthasys or Opeth trying to get to an altogether higher level of songwrighting and trying to break new ground but not cohesivly putting these ideas together.
I have wondered if the pressure to finish a long tour loose a long term member and then have to complete an album in a limited timespan has shown its hand as i do think what i have heard so far is a bit disjointed, however the next album with a good couple of years for the new guys to grow into Opeths style then the next album will eclips everything else and be thier pinicle.
by then axe will have moulded his own style in with the band, and the new guitar style distilled into mikes brain ready for him to utalise these talents to the full.

id love to see some efflortless changes in tempo and time signature but rather than a extreem change a progressive one more in a fasion with some classical composers and returning themes and motives flowing thorough an entire album then get alan parsons to produce and mix it and thow his genius into the pot to create the ulitimate prog metal opeth mix of music, then couple it with the most awsome light and lazer show over a lake and televise it , the audiance to be made up of diehard fans by appointment going totally for it.:headbang:

...however the next album with a good couple of years for the new guys to grow into Opeths style...

Dunno what you haters were expecting from this album.

Opeth sounds fantastic whether it be older stuff, or Watershed.

With hearing the new songs and listening again to the older albums, a certain evolution struck me most of all. I'm going to apply dialectic reasoning on this one:
We all agree that the first 2 albums (glorious as the were and still are) mainly consist of compositions in which different ideas were pasted together. This resulted in long but somewhat incoherent "songs", that perhaps could be considered more to tell a story.
With My Arms, Your Hearse one of the main changes was a development to real songs. This became even stronger on Still Life and reached a peak on Blackwater Park, on which the songs form a flowing, coherent whole. We might say that the song writing skills of Mikael improved drastically on those albums.
Then however a new change started which couldn't be noticed at the time being probably but is now in retrospect becoming clear. While Damnation is the ultimate expression of mere songwriting of the band Opeth, Deliverance started to show some more incoherence already, which added to a chaotic and dark feeling. This certainly continued on Ghost Reveries where every composition contains too many ideas to handle at once. Never however did this mean a return to the first 2 albums, but it was a new moving away from mere songwriting. This trend is becoming very clear now with Watershed (for which I'm sticking to the 3 released songs to discuss obviously) which apparently contains even more chaotic feelings and shows a strong diminishing of natural flow. This has lead to several threads already about how people don't like certain endings, or state that it's "disjointed" or that certain parts don't fit as well ...

This means that Watershed truely is a masterpiece and I consider this one the main expression of this phase in Opeth's development, in the same way as Morningrise was for the first phase, and Blackwater Park was for the second phase.

OK, let's see if this can spark a bit more mature discussion around here, and if this thread doesn't die so soon as the other nice debate threads.

This is really brilliant man... its like you were reading my mind before posting this.

In my opinion My arms your hearse,Still life and especially Blackwater park are the most strange Opeth albums (not necessary the best)..can you categorize the themes of each song on blackwater park?i don't.it's not death metal or progressive rock.It's really something new..strange riffs and melodies..i can't say the same on orchid or morningrise..the melodies there are more classical..
Although Deliverance,Damnation,Ghost Reveries,Watershed are amazing albums you can see that most themes there belongs clearly to a specific music style..you can hear death metal riffs,progressive rock or blues melodies..amazing riffs and melodies but i think that the fact that opeth put their inspiration in more common and classical forms is the reason why they become more and more famous..

Well first off, great post.
Yet I have two questions.

Why must art be grammically correct?
Why must art be coherrant?

From my pov, art is not merely the execution, its the very much the feeling that comes after. Example, I propose that an actual person living in the 60s's would appriecate the Rolling Stones more than a realitivly new fan. You have to be from that era to fully get the blues connection and the social conditions.
I can not stress this enough, you have to know BLACK METAL and BM lyrics to get the band, or else it does seem incoherent or grammatically correct.
And you have to know what feeling you looking for when you listen to BM.
Every wonder why most of Opeth's songs center around loss?
Well, you have to know BM and metal in general to get it.
Now i'm not saying you don't, but if you don't get the feeling the song is tryin to portray, then its not Mike's fault ya know.

The lyrics are the best part of most of Opeth albums for me, just my pov.
Especially the new album, not matter where they go musicwise, they will always have their BM lyrics, which i love, which shows its dedication to its roots and root fans, not the Damnation era fans, no disrespect.
Just my pov again, great post.

I agree with the OP, and I want to point out that anyway each of the band's albums have a different feeling.
Orchid reminded me of nordic frostbitten forests, wolves and the like.
Morningrise was very similar to Orchid as atmosphere but less "cold". We (I) could say that if Orchid was "norwegian", Morningrise was "Swedish".
My Arms Your Hearse was again less colder than morning rise, but pretty damn dark. Again, it reminded me of northern germanic forests... And I think here ends the similarities.
Still Life had a very different feeling, to me at least. It was almost mediterranic, warmer than the previous works. Even tough some passages of the opener The Moor are pretty damn reminiscent of My Arms Your Hearse, with the double bass pedal kickin' in, the production and particularly the guitar distorsion just made the atmosphere warmer.
Then came mr. Wilson and Blackwater Park. Well, speaking about feelings, it was again colder than Still Life. If Still Life was mediterranic, Blackwater Park was nordic, but not the cold, frostbitten forests of the first three albums, but something... glacial? I don't really know. Plus, Bleak has arabian flavored riffs but the atmosphere is just so cold that you don't really think it's eastern. Anyway, if you kick Blackwater Park in just after Still Life you'll get what I'm talking about.
Deliverance... Deliverance... mmh, I can't collocate this in a place. It just doesn't remind me of anything: it has a dry sound and some sort of "tension build up"; it's like a cyclone: Wreath and Deliverance builds everything up, A Fair Judgement and For Absent Friends being the eye of the cyclone, and Master's Apprentices and By The Pain I see In Others going back to the fury.
Damnation was warmer and colder at the same time... sort of strange. Whereas songs like Hope Leaves, Death Whispered A Lullaby and Ending Credits are warmer, more elegant, To Rid The Disease and Weakness let the heat drop out a LOT. Especially To Rid The Disease, it's a evil, cold masterpiece.
Ghost Reveries was the first album to have a warm production and glimmers of hope. Had a great atmosphere, imho, only rivaled by Blackwater Park and Still Life; Ghost Reveries' atmosphere was more similar to Still Life's, a little less "mediterranean" and a lot more evil - with hope. I can't understand how it can be more evil with some hope in it, but it manages to be just so.
From what I've heard of Watershed (The Lotus Eater, Porcelain Heart video and Heir Apparent live), I'm getting the feeling that this album will again be much, much colder, almost (if not more) like Blackwater Park. If it just manages to get close to that atmosphere, man, whoah. I get chills down my spine just thinking of it.
Notice how atmosphere in Opeth's music is one of the main reasons why I like them so much. Still Life is my favourite, it has that magic feeling that I don't really see (or hear) in any other metal band out there. Blackwater Park... great atmosphere, but not quite as unique as Still Life's one. Ghost Reveries, again, unique, but there are some songs that I don't particularly like, hence I think is worse than Blackwater Park, not by much anyway. The first two albums have a great atmosphere, but we can find it also elsewhere.
Deliverance and Damnation, mmh, I just don't know how to rate them. Excellent music, of course, but I think that with Deliverance they tried to be just too metal for them. Opeth are not a pure metal band, they should stick to the mix of influences they perfected out during their career. Notice how the things I like most of Deliverance are the mellow parts (except the whole Deliverance song, kick ass! :headbang: ). Same thing for Damnation, the thing I like most are more experimental/progressive (ending of Closure, Weakness).
What's missing... uh, yeah, My Arms Your Hearse. Great dark atmosphere, not quite evil in the same way Ghost Reveries is, but dark. Being their darkest record to date, it has a particular atmosphere that some people are just gonne love. I do really like it, but as I said, I prefer Still Life's atmosphere.

Well, I just made a fuckin' pointless wall of text, but I hope it is on topic at least. And grammatically correct, though English's not my native language :Spin:

Well, I just made a fuckin' pointless wall of text, but I hope it is on topic at least. And grammatically correct, though English's not my native language :Spin:

Whoa, TL;DR.

Paragraphs man, parachutes.

Good shit Carta's.. pretty much agree with you on everything.
Disagree with you on the colder atmosphere for WS tho... yeah those two songs might infer that but you'll understand what I mean when you hear the whole album.

I see what you're saying and it's an interesting idea, but really it all hinges on your opinion being that blackwater park/damnation had the 'most coherent' songwriting and ghost reveries being a mess. I don't quite see how you arrived at this conclusion or how you decided MAYH/SL/BWP were less "pasted together" than the first two albums through anything more than a couple of them having lyrical concepts and some of the later songs having recurring sections.

Yah I agree for the most part, but Watershed could lead to an album that is actually the main expression for this "phase". Either way I like it. There will always be people saying they don't like this or that but damn I like everything Opeth has made and I truly admire the fact that they have never made a shit album and always evolve in some way, unlike 99% of bands out there it seems. That is why they are my favorite band that is still going strong.