The Food Thread.

no seriously I changed my onion cutting habit the day I saw that pic! :lol:

As did I. The way I do the horizontal cut is to lay my palm flat across on top and slice horizontally but it doesn't seem the safest so I don't use a very sharp knife. I usually don't bother with that cut unless the onion is big.

Also, any favourite recipes for chick peas, lentils, split peas, barley?

s

As did I. The way I do the horizontal cut is to lay my palm flat across on top and slice horizontally but it doesn't seem the safest so I don't use a very sharp knife. I usually don't bother with that cut unless the onion is big.

Also, any favourite recipes for chick peas, lentils, split peas, barley?

s

Not really. Just google the cooking times for them (as I have no clue) and do Pilafs.

have a pot with a lid, Start with some diced onions in the pot with some oil, add whatever veg you really want, usually a big handfull of red bell pepper. Just be sure everything is diced well, so it all cooks evenly.

Just sweat out the vegetables a little bit, then add in your Grain/Liquid.

Bring it up to a boil, put the lid on and take the burner down to simmer. White rice takes like 20-25min, I think Lentils are close to that, Barley will take probably 30-40.

At work they steam rice with cinnamon sticks, cloves and bay leaf. So for 1cup of grains I'd say try tossing in one of each. Or they'll literally grab all the vegetable scraps in the fridge (peppers, carrots, onions, tomato), chop them up and toss them in rice.

Cheers.

That's a fave of mine, usually with some carrots and I find I can add anything to it and it turns out great.

s

2:1:1 is a basic french Mirepoix. Onion:carrots:celery. Adding bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns is very classic.

Cajun cooking has something similar that involvs bell peppers, but im too lazy to look it up right now. :cool:

tur.jpg

s

Meat Turtles have been around for years before EMT.
Same with the BaconWeave
Same with the stuffed pig
Same with alot of shit they do.

They haven't really done anything impressive since their Breakfast episode ages ago.

:lol: turtle looks great, but I'd never eat a single piece of it. This kind of fat is more seducing to me:

nuttycaramelbars.jpg

Homemade nutty caramel bars from yesterday's day off.

Can't stay away from such :(

I mashed some tomatoes in olive oil, added sugar, milk, sour cream, cayenne pepper, soy sauce and raw macaroni. It actually tasted really good.

I mashed some tomatoes in olive oil, added sugar, milk, sour cream, cayenne pepper, soy sauce and raw macaroni. It actually tasted really good.

We made Chinese sweet and sour sauce at work the other week (dont know if I already mentioned). That red goopy shit they serve with chicken balls. Pineapple juice and ketchup, then cook it a bit to get it to right stickiness.

my mind was blown.

Pineapple fritters

Pineapple-Fritters_recipe.jpg

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, separated
850g can Pineapple Slices in Syrup , drained
vegetable oil for deep-frying

Method

Sift flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the combined warm water, oil and egg yolk. Whisk the batter until smooth and then allow to stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.

Pour oil into a large frying pan until 1cm deep and heat over a medium flame. Meanwhile, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form, and fold into the batter.

Pat pineapple slices dry with paper towel then coat each well in the batter.

Cook fritters in hot oil in batches for 5 - 6 minutes or until golden in colour. Drain on absorbent paper towel.

Serve fritters hot with a sprinkling of sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

s