The Food Thread

matt schrauben

Curse You All Men!
Jan 24, 2006
Westphalia, MI
www.silentlapse.com
The title of this thread explains itself.

Personally, I am a man of chili. It's one of the dishes I do best. I also make some badask chicken wings. Pretty much most things spicy, I can make pretty well.

But one of my other favorites is Italian food. Last night I made some Spaghetti with a red meatsauce. The meatsauce I made from two cans of crushed tomatoes, one can of tomato paste, and several different spices and seasonings. It was the bomb.

Share your food thoughts as well. :)

Food is good.

But no i love cooking as well!

Last week i made some really good stuffed mannicotti. Stuffed with ricotta cheese, pepper, onion, italian sausage.. Add a glass or two of wine and it's a good meal.

Food is good.

But no i love cooking as well!

Last week i made some really good stuffed mannicotti. Stuffed with ricotta cheese, pepper, onion, italian sausage.. Add a glass or two of wine and it's a good meal.

Stuffed mannicotti kicks unmeasurable amounts of ass. Also, italian sausage might be one of the best things ever.

Another underrated ingredient in most dishes is Chorizo sausage. It’s a spicy Mexican sausage that makes everything better. I put it in my chili and it really makes it. It also goes great in burritos, tacos, and pretty much any Mexican dish. Scratch that, any dish you can think of!

You know what's awesome? Omelets. I've been making them recently at home and they have been amazing, and they are really easy to make. I usually toss bacon and sausage in my omelets. Cheese of course too, and it’s always good with some hot sauce, preferably Frank’s. I need to start taking pictures of my dishes and uploading them here. That would be amazing.

I would recommend anyone else to do the same :)

The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs you will ever have..

Ingredients

1 Large egg, beaten
¼ cup whole milk
1 slice of soft white bread
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt, divided use
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided use
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, divided use
1 pound ground beef
½ pound ground sweet Italian sausage
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
1 (6 ounce ) can tomato paste
½ cup water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 bay leaves
1 half a carrot
8 ounces spaghetti
Freshly grated parmesan cheese for accompaniment

Cooking Instructions

1. In a bowl combine the egg and milk and crumble in the bread. Add parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon oregano. Add the ground beef and ground pork and mix well with wet hands. Just dig right in there and mix it awesomely with your CLEAN hands. Each meatball should be no more than 2 tablespoons of meat mixture, shaping by hand. Very important not to make the meatballs too big.

2. In a deep saucepan slowly heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions and the garlic and slowly cook until the onions are transparent. Remove the onions and garlic with a slotted spoon, placing them into a small bowl.

3. Add meatballs to saucepan. Brown the meatballs, turning them often. Make sure the damn heat is not too high. You’ll ruin them like everything you do. If you don’t slowly brown them, they will suck. Drain off excess fat. Stir in the browned onions, garlic, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and bay leaves. Add carrot (absorbs acid. You will remove when done.) Cover, reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The longer you keep it on the heat, the thicker sauce will be.

4. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cover.

5. Remove the bay leaves and carrot before serving sauce over hot spaghetti. Pass grated parmesan cheese.

Why is it when lent rolls around all i want to do is eat a giant cheeseburger on friday.. Argh.. Oh the woes of being catholic.