The Football Thread!

Well Oliver Kahn - love him or hate him - is a fuckin' tough standard to meet, that's for sure.

But as far as goalies go, we've always been lucky to have more than enough world class players to compete for that position. Basically since Lehmann retired from the national team in 2008, we had 4 players openly competing for the Nr. 1 spot, including Enke. A situation that many, many countries could only hope for. Enke was on top for a long time but had another setback when he got injured just before the final world cup qualifying matches last month.

Now Rene Adler (from Bayer 04 Leverkusen) has the best chances to be Nr. 1 in South Africa.

It's not so much the fact that we lost a great goalie, since we have ridiculously amounts of quality on that position, but his personal story that leaves me with a heavy heart. This guy had so many setbacks in his career and personal tragedies to suffer (his first baby daughter died suddenly three years ago) that it's such a shame that it's now ending this way because he was an incredible person and player at the same time.

Felix, I've never been a fan of Hannover, too. He was just a great guy... Much respect for him. He even stayed at Hannover even though he had several lucrative offers from throughout Europe over the last years.

Felix, I've never been a fan of Hannover, too. He was just a great guy... Much respect for him. He even stayed at Hannover even though he had several lucrative offers from throughout Europe over the last years.

This is always high appreciated. I don´t like football players, who deceide out of the money, like Diego for example..(although he´s a genius) Robert Enke was been a good and fair sports man, as far as I know. It´s a tragedy!

I hope Julio César (Brazil´s goalkeeper) stay in one piece until the World Cup. He and Luis Fabiano are going to own next year.

Kahn was absolutely great and in a certain way funny! Unfortunately there are not many Football players who are funny with this kind of entertainment type.

René Higuita FTW. I will never ever forget his scorpion defense. The guy has Big Ben balls to pull it out. Specially on a national squad match.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Julio César (Brazil´s goalkeeper) stay in one piece until the World Cup. He and Luis Fabiano are going to own next year.

René Iguita FTW. I will never ever forget his scorpion defense. The guy has Big Ben balls to pull it out. Specially on a national squad match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFxrjIbOujc

AWESOME! I will never forget it :kickass: Was it Italia ´90?

Italia ´90 is the reason, I´m a Football fan. I was 9 years old and we all know, who won the cup :D I also collected some players picture albums and I still own it.

Italia ´90 is the reason, I´m a Football fan. I was 9 years old and we all know, who won the cup :D I also collected some players picture albums and I still own it.

It was 1995, and we all know who won the 1994 cup (Tip: It was NOT Roberto Baggio :lol:). This safe happened on a friendly match between Colombia and England. I was 10 years old and that was the biggest display of "fuck the world, I´m doing it just for the lolz" of my life. :worship:

I´m a big HSV fan and I saw Robert Enke playing on saturday LIFE!!!!

Damn thats some rough news...

So are you missing Martin Jol?
He's doing a great thing here with Ajax, we're not at the nr. 1 position yet, but we're ate 1/3 of the competition and you see the squad each match getting stronger...

Any how RIP Enke...really sad!

94 Million Euro? He looks like a bitch :D

I hate him...overrated player...he's good, let there be no doubt about that, but overrated!

Martin Jol was great but Bruno Labadia is doing a great job.
But I loved Huub Stevens, he is one of the last character guys!!!!

There was only some things I realy didnt like about Martin Jol:
-He never showed any emotions
-He always comlains about situations and player-quality and also did not see the huge talent of players like Jerome Boateng

felix I was living and going to school in Germany when Germany won that cup!! My uncle took me out to the fest (at midnight) they were having in their small town.... horns blaring, flags waving, sprudel being sprayed by girls sticking their heads out of the moonroofs. One of the craziest moments I ever witnessed. :kickass:...especially being so young and I never witnessed anything like that over here.

My uncle takes me down to that fest, slurring drunk guy is telling how America will never be able to play fussball, then in the middle of it falls straight backwards and smacks the back of his head on the concrete...out cold!! Still remember all this clearly as if it was yesterday :lol:

Horns

Martin Jol was great but Bruno Labadia is doing a great job.
But I loved Huub Stevens, he is one of the last character guys!!!!

There was only some things I realy didnt like about Martin Jol:
-He never showed any emotions
-He always comlains about situations and player-quality and also did not see the huge talent of players like Jerome Boateng

Really that's weird?
Here at Ajax he seems to finally get all the talent in place.
We have 2 defenders with international experience. One of them, Oleguer (former Barcelona), he won the Champions League with Barca, but at Ajax he's now just a benchwarmer. The defense of Ajax is 100% full of own "breed".
Average age in the defense is 20,75 years. He seems to actually see and use the talent instead of ignoring it like coaches the last couple of years.

Huub Stevens, hate 'em....sorry :erk:

Also Ajax has one of the best football school!!!!
But I liked him, and wish him the best luck with Ajax.

And I want Van der Vaart back in Hamburg. He was the king here!!!
I´m wishing so hard, that he´ll come back with a 5 year contract!!!

With him Hamburg has the power to win the german champion chip, and maybe the euro-league....

But thats just dreaming and wishing.......

I don't know if a huge investment in getting VdV back would be that smart right know. Hamburg has one of the best midfields in the league and with Trochowski a player who can fill that spot as the attacking midfielder. No, he isn't as creative as VdV nor is he as much a goal-getter, but I see more problems in Hamburg's offence right know.

With so many key players being long term injured, they're basically dependant on Markus Berg's being spot-on fit to remain at the top of the league. That puts a lot of strain on the young guy and he already had his streak of not striking in the beginning of the season...

Consequently, I think getting another striker or forward would be a better investment.

Hamburg played great with VdV, but they were also hugely dependant of his personal fitness. Without him, the team fell apart. I don't know if that's a situation they want to put themselves back in. AND VdV clearly doesn't want to be in Hamburg...

Edit: And If I'd be a Hamburg fan, I'd be sooo pissed about Hoffmann firing Didi Beiersdorfer based on a personal vendetta. Without Beiersdorfer, the HSV would still be ranking in the middle of the league...

----------------------------

So what's up with Real being knocked out of the Copa by a third league team? Haha ;)

And what's your bet? Will Van Gaal still be Bayern coach by next year?

And what do you guys think about Chelsea's transfer limitations? Will they remain on top of the Premier League?

Let's get this thread rolling again! :D

trochowski cant play the OM positions behind the striker/s....
thats why I wish VDV back to play behind the striker (berg)
with Troche RM and Elia LM something like that:

----------------Rost
Demel Boateng Mathisen Jansen
----------ZeRoberto Jarolim
Troche -----------------------Elia
----------------VDV
------------------Berg

Also I realy dont understand the Bayern munich problems at the moment:
they have amazing players, an amazing couch....??????
Strange: Here is my tip for Mr. Van Gaal:

--------------------Butt
Altintop Demicheles Van Buyten Lahm
------------Tymustuk Van Bommel
Robben---------------------------Ribery
------------Klose---Toni

trochowski cant play the OM positions behind the striker/s....
thats why I wish VDV back to play behind the striker (berg)
with Troche RM and Elia LM something like that:

----------------Rost
Demel Boateng Mathisen Jansen
----------ZeRoberto Jarolim
Troche -----------------------Elia
----------------VDV
------------------Berg

Yeah I've heard rumours that VDV is leaving Madrid, finally. He's pushed into a corner at the club in which he doesn't deserve to be.
Van der Vaart has the skills to fill in a spot with a huge team like Madrid, Barcelona or Milan, but I'd rather see him with Ajax or Hamburg, because there he shows he's making the whole team play better.
He left waaaaaay to early at Ajax, also a bit the fault of Ajax. At a certain moment we had Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale) & Van der Vaart for the same position. Then within 1 year we lost both.... that's what I call mis-management

We now have 1 30 year old guy, Pantelic, former Herta BSC player, he's actually more important then everyone thinks. He's really well at just keeping the ball, waiting till midfielders and the rest of attackers have closed the gap. But he's being judged as a bit of a dissapointment because he can't play out a man and he needs 5 big changes to score 1 goal. But he creates a lot of space for the players around him with his movement on the field.

Ow..and here's a list of the current Ajax team..
And believe me 3 or 4 of these guys will be in England, Spain, Germany or Italy in one of the bigger teams.
Goal: Stekelenburg
Defense: Gregory van der Wiel, Toby Alderweireld, Jan Verthongen, Vurnon Anita
Midfield: Gabri, Demy de Zeeuw, Eyong Enoh
Offense: Luis Suarez, Marko Pantelic, Urby Emmanuelson

I think within 2 years Gregory van der Wiel, Jan Verthongen, Luis Suarez, Urby Emmanuelson will be at the bigger european clubs. Which is a shame for us, but something we've got used to over the last decade.

There aren't a lot of players at Ajax, that stay for more then 2 or 3 years once they've reached the main squad.

I was really excited reading this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5686003,00.html
For now it just seems Suarez is a guy with loyalty...but offcourse you never know..
Constantly it's been rumoured he'll leave this january, and he denies..he says " I want to become champion with ajax".

Yeah HSV was interested in de Zeeuw but we decided to buy ZeRoberto.
But maybe de Zeeuw will come to hamburg when ZeRobertos contract is over (in two years)
Suarez is an amazing player!!!!He could fit perfect in the Barca system, but he knows that he wont have the change the team.

Ajax is a great club and I realy hope they will get back to be real part in the champions league.

Same for hamburg

Teams like Ajax, HSV, Bayern munich , PSV, are meant to play with big clubs!!!

Also I realy dont understand the Bayern munich problems at the moment:
they have amazing players, an amazing couch....??????
Strange: Here is my tip for Mr. Van Gaal:

--------------------Butt
Altintop Demicheles Van Buyten Lahm
------------Tymustuk Van Bommel
Robben---------------------------Ribery
------------Klose---Toni

Yes, they have an amazing couch:

klinsmann-11643330-mbqf,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

Looks soooo comfy! :D

;)

You can't really have Altintop playing right full back. With both Altintop and Robben on that side you're really inviting the opponent to attack there.

The problem Bayern has is on multiple levels: There's this horrendous transfer policy and a coach who hasn't got the backing of the team. It's bound to bring problems...

There are hefty rumors that Hertha Berlin are trying to make a move on Pantelic soon, getting him back. We'll see how this works out...

Yeah HSV was interested in de Zeeuw but we decided to buy ZeRoberto.
But maybe de Zeeuw will come to hamburg when ZeRobertos contract is over (in two years)
Suarez is an amazing player!!!!He could fit perfect in the Barca system, but he knows that he wont have the change the team.

Ajax is a great club and I realy hope they will get back to be real part in the champions league.

Same for hamburg

Teams like Ajax, HSV, Bayern munich , PSV, are meant to play with big clubs!!!

Yes, but a bit of the problem is England, Spain & Italy have such unbelievable funds in football. It's transfer like Real Madrid did last summer that ruin the REAL football!

I really hope Madrid will really fail this year just to see that it isn't money that can buy you a championship.