The Grand Conjuration

it sounds like a completely new song to me..because it is. am i wrong? if i'm wrong someone tell me? sorry, just saying stop comparing, its a good song itself.

ha ha my friend told me that parts sound like cradle of filth/dimmu borgir.....ha ha, silly little velvet revolver fanboy

Nairolf said:
ha ha my friend told me that parts sound like cradle of filth/dimmu borgir.....ha ha, silly little velvet revolver fanboy

at least he didn't say Opeth sounds like slipknot. I heard some people say that too :yuk:

WHAAAAATTT???!?!?!

you sometimes wonder why people like music if they clearly dont understand it

Nairolf said:
WHAAAAATTT???!?!?!

you sometimes wonder why people like music if they clearly dont understand it

Some people just don't have an open mind, and have their oppionion about your "devil worshipping shitty metal music, stupid stupid pot smoking metalhead" ready before they listened to the first three notes. Growling doesn't improve their oppinion either because if you cant understand what he's saying, it must either be "sacrifice babies and small rodents to your unholy master" or "I hate you because you always picked on me in kindergarten"

i know someone who pointblank hates all metal because you cant hear what they say. "Whats the point if you cant hear what they sing about, otherwise its just noise"....scary isn't it

Nairolf said:
i know someone who pointblank hates all metal because you cant hear what they say. "Whats the point if you cant hear what they sing about, otherwise its just noise"....scary isn't it

Scary? Not so much. Stupid? Very much so. By their logic, classical music should all be chucked in the can. I actually feel very sorry for them, and you can tell them so.

:rolleyes: Wow, I agree, if someone compares opeth to slipknot...well, to put it simply, that's just plain wrong right there.

Also, if Mike stated this album is supposed to be VERY heavy, I take it the album will have a severe lack of acoustic parts...unfortunately. Man, I'm hoping I am wrong when it comes to tracks like Beneath the Mire and Harlequin Forest - those tracks truly sound like they'd be something special. We shall see.

Can't wait for the song download, aye. That should rock!

It's not stupid or scary but ignorant. Ignorance of what goes into music. I am a concert violinist, i play in many places and classical music is the most accomplished genre of music. The technique and nuances involved are unrivalled, this is followed by metal (use metal loosely here). I do feel sorry fo rthem and have told them but they truly believe that punk is th ebest music because it is "energetic, you can hear what they are on about, they play their instruments well and the songs aren't too long"

This album is supposed to be heavy? i have no worries here, nile is heavy and retains all the intricacies of the compositions and to be honest i cant imagine the opeth being heavier than nile so i dont worry at all. What i do fear is that by heavy Mikael means that it will be straight-cut., its a small fear but a valid one i think. But nevertheless, i can not imagine ever that this album will not have as many acoustic bits. I reckon the split will be much like blackwater park just the heavy parts being heavier. I also have no fear whatsoever with the track "atonement" it should be special

From what I could hear one this ONE song from the album, it was everything what Deliverance should have been. And the reason Deliverance had almost no mellow interludes, was because of Damnation. There, I said. Now let's keep going on the subject.

the_drip said:
ignorance and stupidity are linked IMO.

Dude, you have GOT to stop setting us up like that. There are just so many places we could go with a post like that, all of them bad for you.

Unless of course you're charging a "setup" fee.

ET Hydro Quebec said:
You can't judge a song by it's title !!!!

Yeah, true, for sure. When I mentioned the previous two songs off ghost reveries, well, I basically pretty much just like the sound of those titles. Really, though, it can be any other two songs off the album that will turn out amazing. In the end, the point is, I just hope that there'll be songs included that truly blow your mind, like when I first heard April Ethereal or Bleak, for example. The Grand Conjuration is a good start, but let's hope there's something 3 times as good as that track.

At first, I thought TGC (already it's come to synonyms) was pretty shit, but it does grow, especially the solo+post solo sections, they are great. Do the tribal rhythms (I can't think of any other name for them in my current state of inebriation) remind anyone of the music from Goldeneye on the N64? Think back to the music on the train level and you'll (hopefully) see what I mean.

Ok, so many of you go off damned topic.

I think this song fucking owns. I'm a drummer, I love the drumming, the riffs, vocals, the "feel", atmosphere, keyboard are metal.

The melody from Per at 1:40 is FUCKING AWESOME. it comes in around there for the first time I believe.

Can't wait to cover it with my friends, and the rest of the album!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job Opeth. I saw it live last Saturday, they played Drapery, the grand conjuration, and demon. People during the grand conjuration were a little dull, like they couldn't get into it because they didn't know the changes and shit, I thought it was funny.