The great and all powerful religion thread!

Kant argues that preserving one's own life is a moral duty.

this is me paraphrasing now...

"An action is moral, said Kant,only if one has no desire to perform it,but performs it out of a sense of duty and derives no benefit from it of any sort, neither material nor spiritual, a benefit destroys the moral value of action."

Those who accept any part of this philosophy deserve it.

You're close, but in Kant's opinion, people can derive benefit/profit from what they do; that just shouldn't be their primary objective. This is a huge problem (in my opinion) with Kant's theory, because how can anyone truly know why others do what they do? They can claim altruistic motivations all they want, but if profit is gained, how do we know?

The point is, however, that people can individually succeed based on Kant's reasoning. His philosophy doesn't preclude the subjectivity of its practitioners (or participants). Rather, a person's subjective moral stance must be applicable to all others (the categorical imperative, the possibility that a subjective view can be extended to others); this doesn't deny the subject an existence, but rather relies upon the subject's existence.

Hey guys, has anyone here heard of the religion of Asatru? Ever heard of Odin and Thor? Welllll... I happen to be affiliated with a blog/podcast based in Canada dealing with the northern runes as a system of magick and the ancestral culture of the Norse people. The organized religious aspect of this is known as "Asatru" (Faith in the gods). We're looking to provide a resource for better understanding in these topics so for anyone who is interested, please check out Northern Runes Blog/Radio and tell us what you think! Hail!

How is it possible to not benefit in some way from doing a "moral" deed? I'm not sure what is specifically implied by "spiritual" but I'm assuming it's referring to the personally gratifying feeling of doing a deed for someone. Feeling like it's your "duty" to act morally is self-serving in and of itself since it amplifies your sense of purpose.