Yet another religion thread: what constitutes weird?

ok, so let's reverse the question.

can those who don't believe in god tell me what advantages they derive from their spiritual choice? please be honest. i am exceedingly interested.

I'm still waiting for Sirens explaination of evolution.
Sorry, i've just been busy these days, and to be honest i have lost my interest in this thread. I will reply when i find some time to choose the wording and put the reply together, but don't expect anything earth-shattering, it will probably be very short. In fact i think it might be even shorter than this reply.

can those who don't believe in god tell me what advantages they derive from their spiritual choice? please be honest. i am exceedingly interested.

This is a pointless question.
I did not arrive at my decision based on the pros and cons of faith or non-faith. I felt a great deal of relief after realizing that god and all religions were not real. I struggled for the longest time trying to rationalize science and logic with the contradictions in the bible. I wanted so deeply to have a relationship with god but I couldn't do it. No one I talked to in my church groups, university faith groups, family or friends could answer the questions I had. And "just have faith" isn't the right answer when you are dealing with a lifestyle choice.

I'm all or nothing. Either the bible is the word of god or it isn't. I will not say I believe in a god 100% when I can not believe in the only evidence for his existing in the first place. When I add that to the glaring scientific evidence that destroys creationist theory.. well there was no choice left.

I would love to believe that I have a soul and that I'm special and that I have a purpose that has been predestined for me. I would love to know that I will live a life of blissful eternity after I die and so will everyone I know and care about. But that's not the reality of the situation and singing lullabyes to myself isn't going to help anything (at least for me, 98% of the country would dissagree).

Hyena, no Atheism does not promise any of the make-believe emotionally inspired "advantages" that religions do. It does however provide a logical, testable, reasonable, and realistic worldview.

@ian.de: ok, so new question (and thank you for your answer). which specific event or circumstance of your life made you question god's existence? please be specific. i do have several theories, concerning people who were raised christian, and i need straightforward answers if i ever have to test them.

Here's a quote from Jewish theologist Pinchas Lapide, which I've always found funny:

"In all of my encounters with atheists -and I've frequently searched for them- I've come to the conclusion that there exist very few a-theists in the authentic sense of the word. Most of them can be grouped into three cathegories: the anticlericals, who cannot stand the so-called representatives of God and end up blaming God himself of the outrageous things commited by his foot-personnel. On second place, the pseudo-atheists, irritated with the little god that has been painted to them at home or school, which in no way can respond to the thirst for faith that torments their hearts. On third place, I know anti-theists -a very Jewish specialty-, confronted with God because they are not willing to forgive him for the evil existent on the world, because the image of God thay have made themselves is not compatible with Auschwitz, with all the evil in the world, with the innocent children which come to this world with severe physical and mental deficiencies. These are not properly a-theists, because for atheism God is indifferent, but anti-theists, who lose their sleep and forces in their fight against God, who fight against him like the patriarch Jacob, who spent the night fighting against the Angel of the Lord, until at dawn received the new name, Israel."

I mean I find it funny because of the reactions it normally stirs on atheists. He makes a point, though: a true atheist would simply not care about god nor religion. Yet a big lot of them are very passionate and agressive, which means such hatred sprouts from personal reasons they have not yet assimilated very well. Psychologically speaking, we could say they project their own neurotic complexes onto religion, religious imaginery, religious representatives and religious people.

Yet a big lot of them are very passionate and agressive, which means such hatred sprouts from personal reasons they have not yet assimilated very well.
Or maybe they're just disgusted and dismayed by religion's effect on society and its undermining of rational discourse.

That's meant to answer hyena's original question too.

^Exhibit A. That's a very simplistic response, but thanks for proving my point, Lina.

Edit: Ok, maybe I should elaborate more. "maybe they're just disgusted and dismayed by religion's effect on society and its undermining of rational discourse." Come on, Lina, don't be such a fool. Irrationality, hatred, persecution, intolerance, etc., are not solely the realm of religion. In a world free of religions we would still find ways to differentiate ourselves from others and try to justify destroying them for their differences. This is a self-evident truth. Don't objectify things that are inherent to human nature and put them all together in a social part played by religion. This is a one-sided and, yes, very dogmatic view that clouds the positive traits that religious tradition has brought to us: ethical guidance, artistic development, rites that channel our energies through functional means, internalization, so to name a few. So, who's really being irrational here?

If you have a personal problem with religion, just say it and stop demonizing it either because G.W. Bush uses God in his discourses to manipulate the idiot masses, or because of the Crusades or the Inquisition or whatever. Wars and mass manipulation will always be there, and it's not the "fault" of religious thinking, but in some cases merely the fault of dumb and brainless pseudo-religious thinking, which is simply one of the many products of human stupidity.

@ian.de: ok, so new question (and thank you for your answer). which specific event or circumstance of your life made you question god's existence? please be specific. i do have several theories, concerning people who were raised christian, and i need straightforward answers if i ever have to test them.

There are way too many experiences that made me question religion to write in one post.

When I was smaller I believed what my mom told me about god. I believed he watched over me and my family and that he loved everyone in the world. Well growing up I witnessed things that did not back up the theory of a loving god who is constantly watching over everyone.

In high school I reached out to religion because I was an angsty depressed teenager who was in the middle of an identity crisis. I had many friends in the church who were catholic, protestant, and mormon. I loved going to church, I still do as a matter of fact. I enjoyed the mormon church the most because I was dating a girl who grew up as a mormon. I learned a lot about her and her family and what they believed. Although it seemed to create a wholesome, safe, and loving environment it all seemed somewhat neive. As I got more involved in the church events, bible study, and missionary groups I became increasingly skeptical.

What they were telling me about the bible and what god expected from me did not make sense with my life experiences up to that point. I couldn't shake what I knew about science and social issues. I know for a fact that homosexuality is not a personal choice and it is not evil. I know for a fact that masturbation is not wrong. etc. I couldn't believe anything written in the bible (let's not even touch the book of mormon). It didn't test with reality. And although I felt love and warmth from reading the scripture with people I cared about, and spending time with good people in a wholesome environment, I wasn't at peace. I felt like I was lying to myself.

I read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and it was the synapse to my nerve impulse. I was absolutely certain I believed in god after reading that book. I kept a thought journal and reflected on my feelings after every chapter. This was the summer before my freshmen year in college and I was surrounded by friends and family who were also religious and only encouraged my faith.

After I moved into the dorms freshmen year I started to experience new worldviews and began questioning my own again. The church groups I was involved in at school had kids from every denomination you can think of. I began to think about the bible critically again. I was no longer surrounded by "just have faith" friends. The religious bubble that was around me during the year before college had been popped.

I then started to read atheistic literature and began to realize that my beliefs in god were not rational and were not based on anything real (because after all I didn't believe in the bible). I just wanted to believe in something so bad that I tricked myself into believing in "something".

Its been two years since then and it wasn't until this past summer that I became a self-proclaimed atheist. I was embarrassed of the title before and told people I was an agnostic out of fear of judgment. Now I don't give a damn and I realize that it's the religious majority that should be embarrassed about their beliefs, not me, I can actually support my beliefs with logic, reason, and evidence.

I was embarrassed of the title before and told people I was an agnostic out of fear of judgment. Now I don't give a damn and I realize that it's the religious majority that should be embarrassed about their beliefs, not me, I can actually support my beliefs with logic, reason, and evidence.
This is the kind of thing that annoys me. Noone should be embarrassed of what they believe. Everyone should be free to believe what they want and should not be judged by others on accounts of it.

hyena said:
oh my god (aptly so). you're not the only one who dabbled in the neurosciences, you know. i happen to have been involved in a neuroeconomics project this summer - you know, fMRI scanning aimed at understanding economic decisions -
That's great :) It sounds interesting. And no one said I was the only one.

hyena said:
and if i have learnt something it is the following: brain scanning is going to tell you where and how things happen but never why
Yes, that's right.
And some of us take that as a "yes, we don't know why. We may or may not know in the future"
And some of us ..jump to (grand) conclusions from there.

hyena said:
this bit of knowledge came directly from some of the most accredited PI's at the NIH and given that most of them spent 20+ years working on the subject i would tend to believe them. lesion studies, scans, you name it... these allow you to map which part of the brain does what and in which way, then you can look at historical data when there is any so as to reconstruct which parts of the brain evolved in which way through time and conjecture the reasons behind that evolution.
Yes, that all sounds great, and they definitely sound like very credible and knowledgable individuals.

hyena said:
but even if we knew exactly how, say, the limbic systems work (which we don't), we'd never end up knowing the reason why humans have a limbic system
Why? Cause and effect why? That's simple, if a trait exists then that means organisms with that trait obviously haven't gone extinct. In very general terms, it's been advantageous through the evolution of the group of organisms that possess it; and it's risen gradually from a more primitive system of such neural networks through natural selection. In the past there must have been pressures that allowed that trait, and all else that that trait was directly related to genetically, to steadily increase the relative percentage of its holders in the population. Of course, who's to know exactly how a group of traits related to feeling emotions was at some point under the scrutiny of natural selection, but one can easily imagine it being advantageous to survival in many ways..
Any other definition of Why? seems to me irrelevant, unless somebody was already inclined to analyze the whole thing under religious and spiritual thought, and asks the question in a transcendental type of way ..in which case, you can't turn around and use it to say anything conclusive of religion or the supernatural. Circular reasoning.

hyena said:
you can say that the prefrontal cortex got bigger with time, you can say that the circuits connected to the concept of value and money are relatively new and therefore unstable, you can say a whole lot of things but neuroscience certainly does not give any answers, either here or there, on the question of why, say, we feel emotions that primates don't, beyond the fact that part A and part B of the brain are more developed in humans than primates. i fail to see how this leads to meaning-of-life extrapolations.
Yes! me too :) I fail to see how any of this leads to meaning-of-life extrapolations. Studying the brain of an organism can obviously only tell us about what is. Personally that's what's important. What is. Anything that strays away from reality, or reaches far and wide for an easy answer as to why it is, just seems silly to me. If there's no evidence for something, I think it's rational to at least hold off on believing it.

So, hyena, I don't think what you've said is "neither here nor there". How do you like them apples :p

hyena said:
@rahv: yes yes. is that 'efficient cause' vs 'motive' in english? or is there another expression?
If your "why?" in the previous post was of this latter "motive" kind, then I would simply say that it would already imply the existence of a sentient being that has a motive and gave something a specific purpose for a specific reason. If you've already assumed this, it would take away validity of any conclusions pointing towards such a motion of purpose. Circular reasoning.

hyena said:
of course what i wanted to say was "we know that circuit A in our brain produces reaction B" (and we know that in an approximate fashion, at that), including "we know that looking at religious imagery A produces positive emotion B", but that doesn't mean anything with respect to whether god exists or not. there is actually a nice study of comfort responses to religious imagery conducted by means of fMRI by someone at Oxford, but now the name escapes me. i'll look into it and update whoever is interested.
I'm sure it's all true. The preassumption, though, is that religious imagery is the direct cause of the positive emotion. I'm sure that there aren't any grounds to make such an assumption. In fact, I would bet that had the ancient Greeks been shown paintings of the Elysian fields and beautiful, gentle Persephone.. I'm sure their brains would also indicate networks of positive emotions firing. It's all psychological, based on what people have known their whole lives to be deemed as "positive". Try that experiment with someone raised in the jungle with no knowledge of any religious imagery from mainstream culture, and see if you get the same results.

QRV said:
Yo

QRV said:
Actually, it's the other way around: I've been reading a lot of psychology disguised as philosophy. And no, I don't think of the unconscious as a "separate entity", but simply as the "unconscious", the unknown or hidden aspects of our personality. It doesn't quite work apart from cognitive processes: everything in our mind is closely related, and its natural dynamics aims for integration. Some parts can, however, split from our conscious mind because of neurotic complexes. I just emphasised the difference to distinguish it from our thinking traits, but in reality everything works as a whole, or at least tries to.

I'm particularly a Jungian on this. I believe there's this "collective unconscious" formed by archetypes which pretty much makes up the human race's mind configuration. Archetypes are collective and impersonal at their center, but they are shaped by our individual traits and particular external circumstances, and so they appear to us mixed like that. They are autonomous from our conscious mind, that is, we have no control over them. We can't tell an archetype to act or behave in certain way, but what we can do is listen to the archetype and understand its meaning in the different situations and moments it presents to us, be it in dreams, through creative acts, through whatever inspiration or revelation we may have. The archetype must be integrated with our conscious thinking in order to make conscious what previously was unconscious, so to expand our perspectives. Now, these archetypes are quite mysterious at their very essence, they are extremely dynamic and changing, because they are psychic energy, libido. Every psychologist who works with the unconscious, even if he doesn't agree with the collective unconscious, would tell you that we have only excavated the tip of the iceberg that is the unconscious. And speaking of neurology, remember we only use a small percentage of our brain capacity? That goes with the idea that only a small part of the unconscious is revealed to us through our lifetimes.

And I totally differ from what you say on Freud. There's a lot of empirical evidence of the existence of the unconscious, even if, as you said, there's no proven "material" cause for it. Hell, there are still a lot of psychoanalists around (even Freudian ones), with couch and all, there's still a lot of research being done in hundreds of psychoanalitical institutions of all sorts, even if the current trends are the so-called cognitive-behavioral and empirically-validated forms of therapy. The unconscious is made valid through psychotherapeutic practice. So you know, psychoanalysis is far more -I should stress it out- FAR more than what Freud said, as thousands of revisions throughout almost a century have concluded, even if a lot of Freud's ideas are still rather valid. It is a very common mistake to trash on the figure of Freud to disqualify psychoanalysis, and it is very easy to ignore all posterior investigations. You talk of the theories of the unconscious as if they were things of the past, and that only shows prejudice and a tremendous lack of information. I haven't been misled on these aspects of psychology. On the contrary, I'm positively sure that at this point I've read more on the subject that you'll ever do in your entire life.
What you say is fine, it's the thoughts that many people including you may share, on something that is not very well understood yet. In my personal opinion, a lot of what you say here is speculation fetching a little far. And the only other thing I'll add is that you give psychoanalysts more credibility than I do.
A lot of what psychoanalysis is, is based on speculation because, like I said, we don't know enough of our complex psychology. They know what they've learned, either from Freud back in the day, or more modern theories on the workings of human psychology. And just to point it out, psychoanalysis has been under the spotlight of embarrassment a few times, including the hysteria of psychoanalysts digging up "lost memories" from the unconscious ..memories of child abuse. It happened left and right, once the trend was set off, to the point where it got out of hand and hundreds of families were hurt and ruined. It turned out the psychoanalysts were implanting these "lost memories" over time throughout their sessions. And to understand just how easily it is for humans to create false memories, especially by the powerful manipulation of someone you trust with your psychoanalysis, just pick up any basic textbook on cognitive psychology. There are a great deal of studies that show how easy it is.

QRV said:
Another thing: I don't assign a "supernatural quality" to the unconscious. Empirically, scientifically, there's no supernatural quality to it. All studies have been mostly phenomenological, and this phenomenology describes the unconscious as a driving force behind religious thinking. Jung used to say that the unconscious is religious or mythical at its core, and from that point on we can only speculate. The are more complicated aspects of his theory (like synchronicity, for example, or certain aspects of dream interpretation) that barely suggest the existence of a consciousness apart from our biological brain-spinal system, but there's no way to prove that, same as there's no way to prove the opposite. All we have are a few indications.
Yeah, exactly ..all speculation. And, again, my stance lies in not rushing conclusions and answers where none are to be had, especially when some of them seem so unlikely (to me).

QRV said:
But, certainly, nothing tells us that the unconscious cannot be a medium through which we may communicate with the spiritual. At all times and in every corner of the world, dreams and visions have been the natural ways through which humans are said to contact the divine. Why not? Ancient philosophers and mystics have always described man as a confluence of two spirits or forms of energy: the eternal or divine, and the mortal or material. Could it be that the unconscious is the bridge that binds together these two natures?
Yes, what you say is something that could be an explanation, and one I couldn't prove wrong. And, once again, you and I differ in what we deem a likely explanation to something we still don't know much about.
Having learned ad nauseam about thermodynamics (energy, and the physics of the real world) in college, you can see how I would easily find certain things, like what you've said above, a tad more than unlikely.

QRV said:
To see this point more clearly (I mean the unconscious, not the divine thing), I suggest you try an exercise to contact the unconscious. It's called "active imagination". Put yourself in a comfortable position, go sit on your favorite sofa, lie in bed a bit or something, whatever you prefer. Try to clear your mind and focus on an image from your fantasies. Just let it come to you. Once it is there, try speaking to it in your mind. You might want to ask questions like "who are you?", "is there anything you want to tell me?", but it's up to you, you formulate them. Just do it with an open mind, try to get rid of prejudices or else it won't work. It's a really nice exercise, and quite frankly, in a way it's very similar to what artists do when they create. Give it a try, you don't lose anything and it might help you more than you think to understand some aspects of yourself.
I could very well do that. In fact, I've talked to myself plenty of times ;) I can choose to talk to as many selves of me as I will to have, during a session of inner conversation. This doesn't show me, or prove to me anything, other than the fact that it kicks ass to own a brain ;)

To get back to neurology for a bit, there is a set of parts in the brain that seem to be most active in the task of separating what's real (what comes from external input) and what's imagined (as in a normal, everyday thought process or fantasy). If you think about it, patients with certain disorders like schizophrenia don't have much wrong with them, other than the fact that they fail to keep a separation of the two in their consciousness. Maybe it's just a small part of the brain that's crucial in this system that performs this "simple" task. You can also feel this confusion yourself.. immediately after awakening, this fails sometimes. Perhaps you've had it happened that you suddenly jolt awake and the very last thing you remember is say, a shriek or a funny scream, and for a few seconds you think about whether or not it was the very last part of your dream, or if you really did do it and made an ass of yourself in front of some people, and sometimes it's extremely difficult to decide. Also, if you stay awake for a very long time. It has been documented that at some point people start saying crazy things because they misinterpret what's around them.. they mix up the external input with what's in their imaginations and come up with a bizarre twist of what may be really happening around them. Someone being picked up and put into an ambulance may claim that he was being abducted by aliens and put into their ship. People stranded in the dessert on the brink of dying very easily misinterpret things. The external input provides a visual illusion after some light refraction on a layer of hot air just above the ground (illusion of water) and their imagination provides waterfalls and palm trees. At a very critical state (tiredness, or a damage/disorder), the brain fails to separate the two, putting the complete picture in the person's consciousness.

My point is, the brain seems to have enough complexity and unimaginable number of systems that work together to bring us this experience while alive. And through studies of when certain parts or systems fail, much has been learned. So when confronted with supernatural-looking phenomena that people claim, I think that there probably is a rational explanation for it. I don't feel the need to start attributing unexplained things to grand causes, realms, and entities.

ian.de said:
I agree that the human mind is extremely mysterious but I'm gonna have to put my money on nature and biology.
And you are wise, because nature only wants $29.99 per year, and biology automatically deducts what it needs (for future research, etc) from your bank account! :)
[size=-2]That's cheaper than many Gods out there (And some want your life)[/size]

QRV said:
Sloe gin with almond flavoring will do for me
Sloe gin with almond flavoring.. aww, I'm not sure I have that in the bar.. Did you want an orange slice, some sugar on the rim, and a yellow umbrella with that too??

*gives everyone whiskey*

hyena said:

I don't know... I certainly have a set of answers to that, but I have a feeling it would quickly be interpreted and dismissed as arrogance :p
..just like when I drop mention of some things, which I choose to do in the end because I don't want to come across as someone who's simply pulling information out of the ass.

QRV said:
Edit: Ok, maybe I should elaborate more. "maybe they're just disgusted and dismayed by religion's effect on society and its undermining of rational discourse." Come on, Lina, don't be such a fool. Irrationality, hatred, persecution, intolerance, etc., are not solely the realm of religion. In a world free of religions we would still find ways to differentiate ourselves from others and try to justify destroying them for their differences. This is a self-evident truth. Don't objectify things that are inherent to human nature and put them all together in a social part played by religion. This is a one-sided and, yes, very dogmatic view that clouds the positive traits that religious tradition has brought to us: ethical guidance, artistic development, rites that channel our energies through functional means, internalization, so to name a few. So, who's really being irrational here?

If you have a personal problem with religion, just say it and stop demonizing it either because G.W. Bush uses God in his discourses to manipulate the idiot masses, or because of the Crusades or the Inquisition or whatever. Wars and mass manipulation will always be there, and it's not the "fault" of religious thinking, but in some cases merely the fault of dumb and brainless pseudo-religious thinking, which is simply one of the many products of human stupidity.
This is like calling Lina a fool because she chooses not to buy a packet of Qrvmedsopxyl pills for a sore throat. Sure (and you admit yourself) it causes liver damage, dizziness, diarrhea, heart murmur, high blood pressure, insomnia, and mild headaches ..but it soothes a sore throat! and relieves your sinuses!
:p

As a more serious reply, your tone seems to be of pushing religion because it IS a good thing, and that people shouldn't let a list of horrible things caused by religion keep them from embracing it. Why must we embrace it?
Why are u so aggressive?!! and pushy!! and why can't u just let us be?!!!

:p No, seriously, why must we embrace it, even if it has some good things associated with it, among a list of negatives?

Mmm?

EDIT:
Siren said:
Noone should be embarrassed of what they believe. Everyone should be free to believe what they want and should not be judged by others on accounts of it.
Hmm.. you're right. And to think I felt bad and wanted to apologize for writing such a long post.

D'you hear that, Sheckles14? It seems I don't owe you, or anyone else here an apology after all :heh:

@ian.de: thank you for your answer.

you know, at the risk of sounding simplistic and ready to field the accusation that i'm taking one small thing out of context, i still cannot see why the fact that people like to masturbate implies that god doesn't exist. there are three possible approaches to the problem that allow you to masturbate and still preserve the existence of god. these are:

(a) emphasis on masturbation being wrong in the bible is explainable by taking the story of Onan in the context of a small people whose survival was endangered by natural and military enemies, hence intercourse and procreation were preferable to masturbation. we're not in these times anymore, so go ahead.

(b) emphasis on masturbation being wrong in the bible comes from the fact that, in god's plan, sex is meant to be one of the many ways to express love between spouses, hence every other use of the sexual faculty is discouraged, but it's really unlikely that you'll burn in hell if you have a wank, so go ahead.

(c) emphasis on masturbation being wrong in the bible comes from the fact that, in god's plan, people should be open to others and not focused on themselves; locking yourself inside your bathroom for hours on end is not exactly conductive to that, but as long as you do it in moderation, go ahead.

what i am trying to say with these funny points is that i really do not see how there is even a remote connection between masturbation and god's existence, and i'm kind of laughing while typing this, it's just so silly. in general, i believe that the logical conclusion to "god prohibites thing x, which i just love to do" is either "god is not as good as i've been led to believe" or "god is good and i'm just prone to sin as everyone else", not "god does not exist". while there are ways to reach that conclusion which are logically acceptable, i have said before on this board and will keep on saying until i drop that the fact that i don't like rain never made the weather sunny, and i don't see why this should apply to god. it's just not the right way to go about this whole god business. and what strikes me the most - which is why i asked this one specific question - is that most non-believers appear to go down the same exact path: god isn't there because i don't agree with some of the teachings of the bible.

it's not that i like all of them. i also don't like, besides some christian tenets and the rain: cold weather, people close to me dying, back pain, hangovers, being rejected by men i like, having a heavy mortgage, not getting along with my brother, britney spears, morning TV, gaining weight easily, having an addictive personality, not having enough money to buy the stuff i like. in this list, which is by all means just partial, i think i could do something about the mortgage (and consequently the money), and maybe about the hangovers, even if i certainly cannot change the fact that i'm more predisposed to them than other people i know. i could also bomb britney spears' house, although this is not recommendable. as for the rest, i cannot get rid of any of these annoyances in any way. i can say that morning TV is an unfair abomination, and you could say that about god. but i entirely fail to see what the link is between "i do not like that" and "it's not there".

@mags: with respect to the oxford study, i was saying exactly the same thing as you - the fact that people are culturally conditioned to respond "well" to known religious imagery doesn't prove that god exists. but it doesn't prove his non-existence either. i was just saying that fMRI, PET, you-name-it results don't say anything about god. you accuse me of circular reasoning, but i wasn't actually claiming that there is a proof. there is no proof, but there also isn't any proof to the contrary, and neuroscience isn't going to solve the problem. my only contribution was "neuroscience cannot say whether there is motive". i didn't ever say that it said there actually is. that's a matter of faith, one way or the other. and incidentally that's what's really fascinating about neuroscience - it allows one to exactly see where the boundary lies between matters of scientific evidence and matters of faith. like stem cell research, only less tragic for the researchers themselves.

evolution - i think you have an incomplete picture. if it was all a matter of survival of traits, then the limulus would be our beacon of shining development. as far as i know, very few organisms have made it through 300K+ years without changing at all. the limulus is teh winner, from the standpoint of having "the right traits". which shows how adaptation is only a part of the story (nothing to do with religion here, just calling your attention on correct scientific observation), and how many myths rotate around it. i'm glad we're not all limuli, eventhough i wish we'd give them credit where it's due and stop talking of having a "mouse" connected to our computers. ;)

Oh, no, no, ..of course there is much much more to evolution. I couldn't write all about it, even if I wanted to. What I've posted on this thread is a starting point., looking at it at the barest level so it's not so difficult to begin to understand it all. My point was mainly to address misunderstandings that might be corrected at this basic level. But if I may truly get defensive about something in this thread it would be this. Evolution has interested me for a long time, and I've nerdily read everything I've been able to about it. I could discuss it for days :p From evolution of higher-thinking species (of which only humans are left) to speculation on the randomest, seemingly insignificant strange patterns of behaviors and traits of barely known insect and bird species.

And, I would argue with you (and this now is only me ..speculation formulated by myself) that there is something else I would say is definitely more the main reason why our species has set itself so far apart and ahead of all the others, than the limbic system ..and that is traits of communication. My argument would be long and I won't make that rant now. And yeah yeah.. of course here comes the line: "but if anyone's interested... :p"

And I'm glad we're roughly on the same page about the former part. I'm sorry I may have used your posts as anti god-proving arguments. But I never assumed you yourself necessarily used such logic, which is why I tried to keep it impersonal.

EDIT:
About your questions for your theory. I can tell you of myself that I've never gone through a God-hating phase. I was brought up Roman Catholic, and I was a pious young boy. I impressed people with all the prayers I could recite. I prayed for people. I prayed for myself. And I often felt my prayers answered, and in general felt a good relationship with "the Lord". Early on in life, I started seeing more and more things that made little sense about the religion ..mainly contradictions, and discrepancies, which made me uncomfortable since God couldn't possibly falter. I dismissed them and said to myself I was too young to understand it correctly, and I kept my faith. This just became more and more difficult as I grew up and learned more. I still held on to a belief in God simply because I spent my whole life revering him(her/it) and I felt strange giving in to logic and rational thought (which makes me kind of laugh now) and just rejecting the idea just like that. But there was no way that was going to last. The more I thought, the less constrained to that anchor I felt, the more sense everything made, the more I understood many things, and the more fulfilled, happy, lucky, and free I felt. I really do feel much better than before, I guess it's simply because I don't like to be content with easy answers and I like understanding things as accurately and as best as I can.
And I wouldn't trade my atheism for anything else :)
[size=-2]^ When presented like this, if someone so felt about his or her particular faith, I wouldn't say anything to break that.[/size]

All I can say for my atheism is that I literally just cannot believe. It's impossible for me. I could want to try. I could try. And I would fail. To me, believing in God is like being asked to really really try to believe in backyard fairies that grant you wishes. To me this isn't just a simple simile, it is truly equivalent.

What you say is fine, it's the thoughts that many people including you may share, on something that is not very well understood yet. In my personal opinion, a lot of what you say here is speculation fetching a little far. And the only other thing I'll add is that you give psychoanalysts more credibility than I do.

A lot of what psychoanalysis is, is based on speculation because, like I said, we don't know enough of our complex psychology. They know what they've learned, either from Freud back in the day, or more modern theories on the workings of human psychology. And just to point it out, psychoanalysis has been under the spotlight of embarrassment a few times, including the hysteria of psychoanalysts digging up "lost memories" from the unconscious ..memories of child abuse. It happened left and right, once the trend was set off, to the point where it got out of hand and hundreds of families were hurt and ruined. It turned out the psychoanalysts were implanting these "lost memories" over time throughout their sessions. And to understand just how easily it is for humans to create false memories, especially by the powerful manipulation of someone you trust with your psychoanalysis, just pick up any basic textbook on cognitive psychology. There are a great deal of studies that show how easy it is.

The whole anti-psychoanalysis hype started with a bunch of theoretical crap some Freudians did on the 50s, taking Freud's theory of pulsions to almost comical extremes. Funny how at this time nobody cared to point out the much more centered and extraordinary theories that other psychotherapists (Melanie Klein, Erik Erikson, Erich Fromm, C.G. Jung, Karen Horney, to name a few) were creating. But, as usual, everyone cares about the mistakes and nobody gives a damn about the progress. It seemed to quiet down a bit during the 60s, but then it all exploded again in the 70s with the memory cases you've mentioned. Poor Bruno Bettelheim passed to history as one big liar and sophist (and even child beater, according to some doubtful but popular sources), yet nobody cared about his more trustful contributions to the field of bibliotherapy. Again, it all faded away during the 80s and resurfaced on the 90s with the scandalous cases of certain very idiotic Lacanians. Of course, Lacan was the perfect target, with his incredibly complicated jargon, his therapy sessions of variable time and his very elitist followers, not to mention the big hand-made case he used to pump up his theory. As for now, no new big media-attracting mistakes have been made. Looks like psychoanalysis has been beaten to such extremes that doing it again might look redundant and boring.

However, if you just stay with the negative criticism without caring to investigate the more positive contributions, your opinion would simply be biased and invalid. Psychoanalysis doesn't deal that much with speculation. Theories are made out of empirical data and are later applied and verified in practice. Believe it or not, some of them seem to work. The point is that now, even with all the attacks, the constant satyrical image that's made of Freud, the criticism and all, psychoanalysis is still out there, strong and working. The criticisms almost destroyed the popular image, but did not stop the academic research. There are some very stupid psychoanalysts out there for sure, but there are some pretty good ones as well.

Yeah, exactly ..all speculation. And, again, my stance lies in not rushing conclusions and answers where none are to be had, especially when some of them seem so unlikely (to me).

Yes, what you say is something that could be an explanation, and one I couldn't prove wrong. And, once again, you and I differ in what we deem a likely explanation to something we still don't know much about.
Having learned ad nauseam about thermodynamics (energy, and the physics of the real world) in college, you can see how I would easily find certain things, like what you've said above, a tad more than unlikely.

So you work with the concrete and I work with the abstract. From there come our different views. No shit.

I could very well do that. In fact, I've talked to myself plenty of times ;) I can choose to talk to as many selves of me as I will to have, during a session of inner conversation. This doesn't show me, or prove to me anything, other than the fact that it kicks ass to own a brain ;)

Like I said, it must be done without prejudice, otherwise it won't work. You didn't understand or didn't cared to understand what I said. I won't bother with this anymore.

To get back to neurology for a bit, there is a set of parts in the brain that seem to be most active in the task of separating what's real (what comes from external input) and what's imagined (as in a normal, everyday thought process or fantasy). If you think about it, patients with certain disorders like schizophrenia don't have much wrong with them, other than the fact that they fail to keep a separation of the two in their consciousness. Maybe it's just a small part of the brain that's crucial in this system that performs this "simple" task. You can also feel this confusion yourself.. immediately after awakening, this fails sometimes. Perhaps you've had it happened that you suddenly jolt awake and the very last thing you remember is say, a shriek or a funny scream, and for a few seconds you think about whether or not it was the very last part of your dream, or if you really did do it and made an ass of yourself in front of some people, and sometimes it's extremely difficult to decide. Also, if you stay awake for a very long time. It has been documented that at some point people start saying crazy things because they misinterpret what's around them.. they mix up the external input with what's in their imaginations and come up with a bizarre twist of what may be really happening around them. Someone being picked up and put into an ambulance may claim that he was being abducted by aliens and put into their ship. People stranded in the dessert on the brink of dying very easily misinterpret things. The external input provides a visual illusion after some light refraction on a layer of hot air just above the ground (illusion of water) and their imagination provides waterfalls and palm trees. At a very critical state (tiredness, or a damage/disorder), the brain fails to separate the two, putting the complete picture in the person's consciousness.

My point is, the brain seems to have enough complexity and unimaginable number of systems that work together to bring us this experience while alive. And through studies of when certain parts or systems fail, much has been learned. So when confronted with supernatural-looking phenomena that people claim, I think that there probably is a rational explanation for it. I don't feel the need to start attributing unexplained things to grand causes, realms, and entities.

I acknowledge that. I just think there might be a space for something else. For example, studies on synchronicity aim for this "something else", and they do so through a strict scientific methodology. They just require a different, broader frame of thinking. You'd probably consider those speculation as well.

Sloe gin with almond flavoring.. aww, I'm not sure I have that in the bar.. Did you want an orange slice, some sugar on the rim, and a yellow umbrella with that too??

*gives everyone whiskey*

You have a very poor and classless bar, did you know that? Good thing I brought my booze.

This is like calling Lina a fool because she chooses not to buy a packet of Qrvmedsopxyl pills for a sore throat. Sure (and you admit yourself) it causes liver damage, dizziness, diarrhea, heart murmur, high blood pressure, insomnia, and mild headaches ..but it soothes a sore throat! and relieves your sinuses!
:p

As a more serious reply, your tone seems to be of pushing religion because it IS a good thing, and that people shouldn't let a list of horrible things caused by religion keep them from embracing it. Why must we embrace it?
Why are u so aggressive?!! and pushy!! and why can't u just let us be?!!!

:p No, seriously, why must we embrace it, even if it has some good things associated with it, among a list of negatives?

Mmm?

This is a serious misunderstanding of religious spirit. Anyway, I never said you must embrace it. I actually believe that, in a way, everybody does, even hardcore atheists. Besides, I was being agressive because Lina was being agressive, and also because she gave very cliché and dull arguments to portrait religion as an essentially bad thing. It was her who stressed out you must not embrace it. I merely argued the flaws in her thinking, but in no moment I urged her to become religious. I think she can lead a perfectly healthy, atheist life. I'm just uncomfortable with her implying we religious people contribute to spread some kind of disease.

the same advantages i'd personally get if i tried to believe: nothing. :) it is simply impossible for me to believe, so i don't.
i don't feel like i lack anything this way so i'm fine.

I think its fun to post in threads like these to see what kind of ideas you can stir up. But it really doesn't end up going anywhere. If there are any on-the-fencers reading this thread I strongly suggest The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins to seal the deal

I totally agree, reading recommendations aside. I was referring to the "too long, I can't read it all!" comments that appear from time to time on the part of mostly unknown users. That threads like this one are not going anywhere is something that applies to a lot of discussions on the Internet: it's not something that keeps me up at night, the Ultimate Purpose of Online Debating, much in the same way I presume the ultimate purpose of the world doesn't keep you up at night.

Edit: @hyena: in case I qualify to answer the non-believers question as well, I guess I'd reply in much the same way as Hiljainen. I don't feel like I'm purposefully choosing not to believe, as much as I can't find it in me to believe.

QRV said:
You have a very poor and classless bar, did you know that? Good thing I brought my booze.
Tsk tsk tsk.. Now that's a rash conclusion to draw from the fact that I don't have one particular thing..
I actually have 3 different types of (real) Gin, among a good assortment of things.

Here, how's this for some extra "class":
*pours budget whiskey into the bottle you brought*

About everything else on your last post, especially about the good things that have come from psychoanalysis: fair enough.

There are way too many experiences that made me question religion to write in one post.

When I was smaller I believed what my mom told me about god. I believed he watched over me and my family and that he loved everyone in the world. Well growing up I witnessed things that did not back up the theory of a loving god who is constantly watching over everyone.

In high school I reached out to religion because I was an angsty depressed teenager who was in the middle of an identity crisis. I had many friends in the church who were catholic, protestant, and mormon. I loved going to church, I still do as a matter of fact. I enjoyed the mormon church the most because I was dating a girl who grew up as a mormon. I learned a lot about her and her family and what they believed. Although it seemed to create a wholesome, safe, and loving environment it all seemed somewhat neive. As I got more involved in the church events, bible study, and missionary groups I became increasingly skeptical.

What they were telling me about the bible and what god expected from me did not make sense with my life experiences up to that point. I couldn't shake what I knew about science and social issues. I know for a fact that homosexuality is not a personal choice and it is not evil. I know for a fact that masturbation is not wrong. etc. I couldn't believe anything written in the bible (let's not even touch the book of mormon). It didn't test with reality. And although I felt love and warmth from reading the scripture with people I cared about, and spending time with good people in a wholesome environment, I wasn't at peace. I felt like I was lying to myself.

I read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and it was the synapse to my nerve impulse. I was absolutely certain I believed in god after reading that book. I kept a thought journal and reflected on my feelings after every chapter. This was the summer before my freshmen year in college and I was surrounded by friends and family who were also religious and only encouraged my faith.

After I moved into the dorms freshmen year I started to experience new worldviews and began questioning my own again. The church groups I was involved in at school had kids from every denomination you can think of. I began to think about the bible critically again. I was no longer surrounded by "just have faith" friends. The religious bubble that was around me during the year before college had been popped.

I then started to read atheistic literature and began to realize that my beliefs in god were not rational and were not based on anything real (because after all I didn't believe in the bible). I just wanted to believe in something so bad that I tricked myself into believing in "something".

Its been two years since then and it wasn't until this past summer that I became a self-proclaimed atheist. I was embarrassed of the title before and told people I was an agnostic out of fear of judgment. Now I don't give a damn and I realize that it's the religious majority that should be embarrassed about their beliefs, not me, I can actually support my beliefs with logic, reason, and evidence.

Hey, what an excellent post! I couldnt really grasp the way you have put forward your views at first, but this one somehow did it for me, thanks, ian!

Id like to ask you, and also other debaters, what do you think about filosophical systems as buddhism, taoism etc.? The reason why Im asking this is that somehow I get a feeling that a lot of atheists dont actually have a problem with religion as such, but with the concept of God. Buddhism could be taken, roughly speaking, as religion minus God. I know this is hypothetical, and it might sound silly, but how would you take the gospels and Jesus Christ, had there been no mention of God? Or do you dismiss all systems like these as irrational babble? There is also a different side to it, namely, that several discoveries of modern physics tend to "talk" about the same thing as eastern philosophical systems; existentialist philosophers were leading a remote dialogue with zen-buddhism (Heidegger), admitting several interfacial areas. What would you say to Capras "Science does not need mysticism and mysticism does not need science; but man needs both."?

Tsk tsk tsk.. Now that's a rash conclusion to draw from the fact that I don't have one particular thing..
I actually have 3 different types of (real) Gin, among a good assortment of things.

Here, how's this for some extra "class":
*pours budget whiskey into the bottle you brought*

About everything else on your last post, especially about the good things that have come from psychoanalysis: fair enough.

Good to see our quarrels now only concerne alcoholic beverages. Ah, it's always a good thing to have a sip from a nice 12-year-old scotch (whiskey, of course, you stupid damn pervs)...

*SPITS*

Blaaaargh! Hey, you liar, that was adultered scotch made by Homer Simpson! I should have known, those bowling balls with booze spilling from their fingerholes looked a bit suspicious...