Yet another religion thread: what constitutes weird?

and rahvin probably knows because he had an American partner for a certain period hence became familiar with some known faces.

I regularly read up on TV personalities, although my main interest lies in fiction. Of course I assumed from the little I know about him that ian.de wasn't fond of the guy, which only fortifies the impression that so far he's picked the absolute worst links ever to prove his point in this thread. Now, remind me to quote extensively from Queen Elizabeth whenever I want to prove all royalty must die.

back on the subject of religion: there's a new encyclical letter doing the rounds (it almost feels like a new record, hehe). those interested in where catholic thought is at can find it here.

Faith, I think, is very much like love. It is the bringer of courage. Faith can be directed towards:

God / Virgin Mary / Christ / Allah / Buddha / Brahma / God of the sun, wind and moon.... whatever, and fully KNOW and BELIEVE that no matter what the God you believe in will help you and take care of you.

Oneself: One may have faith in himself / his abilities physical and or mental / knowledge / luck / circumstance / and or a divine caring hand that will always choose him...

towards another person: One may have faith in another person, husband, wife, mother, father, sister, brother, friend, boss, superior, teacher.... and feel comfortable knowing whatever happens One will be taken care of by the person in who is the object of faith.

Pet: In the case of a blind man depending on the good instinct and guidance of his dog...

It appears to me that humans come with a built in ability to experience faith in something or someone, whether it is in this world or the next... hence comes religion as an answer made tangible.

Hoping for a better day is a kind of faith. Without it, how does man survive? The object of faith is not the point. The point is in having faith, in whatever... just having faith is enough.

evolution - i think you have an incomplete picture.
that is, in short, the point i want to make.

Let's say there is a large group of simple entities, let's call them dots. And these dots have only two characteristics. Only two properties:
One is a color. Each one has its own solid color, and overall the dots as a group range in a nice distribution from a green to a yellow. Let's say 25% of the dots are deemed to be unmistakably 'green', and 25% unmistakably 'yellow', with the remaining 50% being greenish-yellow shades of varying degrees.
The other property of these dots is that they make copies of themselves every once in a while, and they all do so at the same rate. And when making a copy, it isn't necessarily a perfect copy. Meaning, the color of the copy would be a very slightly different shade if measured precisely. So, with time, the group of dots has been exponentially increasing in number, and the distribution of color would remain, no matter what the total number of dots is.
But now we'll add some external pressure to the system. Let's say that hyena brings by a zapper. And what this zapper does is discriminately eliminate dots that are yellow (starting from a specific hexadecimal value of a greenish-yellow and anything yellower than that). As time goes by, hyena's toy will keep zapping away all dots yellow. The dots that remain will keep making copies of themselves (and should one be at around the zapper's threshold yellow value, it might find that particular copy of itself zapped).
When measuring the distribution of colors at this later time, I'm sure you can all correctly guess that it will be different ..that the percentage of green dots has increased. It may be something like 40% unmistakably green, 35% green with a slight hint of yellow, and 25% yellowish-green. Yellow dots, and greenish-yellow dots, no longer exist.

The distribution of a property of a group of entities at a later time after such an external pressure will be different ..it changes. This is evolution.

Note the following too: At no point did any one dot change. All individual dots existed absolutely unchanged at all times. Only the distribution of traits (one trait in this case) changed. Note also, that nothing in this system was done randomly (the zapper had specific discriminatory instructions). And nothing happened by mere chance. Given specific and physical parameters the system behaved only logically.
The dots evolved.
Perhaps someone who saw the group at a time before hyena's zapper might be able to tell stories of yellow dots having once existed.
My problem with this is that you're pretty much naming "natural selection" as "evolution". Natural selection is but a mechanism of evolution. So you're missing the whole picture, by selectively focusing on just one mechanism (other mechanisms being gene flow, genetic drift, mutations).

To give you a simple example to match yours, one random mutation could result in a dot being born red. This would be a neutral mutation, that wouldn't really matter in that particular dot's survival, since the zapper doesn't kill red dots. Then it would be a matter of chance (or other uncalculated factors, if you wish) how red would be distributed in this particular population over time. Also we don't really know why hyena decided to zap these dots, maybe she went crazy and decided to zap whatever population of dots first came in her way, which by chance happened to be this one.

I had some more things to add, but thinking makes me tired. Maybe another time.

Siren: You're extrapolating out-of-context, assuming biology where none is present.

Yes.. if the possibility that one might turn red was a part of the system, then that would obviously be another way for the dots to evolve. My simple system only had entities with 2 (two) properties alone. There were no genes or mutations. The system stands as a beginner explanation that may branch on to anything that is prone to evolution: language, colloquial expressions, the automobile, breakfast cereals, religious beliefs, morality, etc. In biology the matter is indeed much more complicated as there is an inmense array of other things. There are genes ..that, like I told Matse, serve as a means for maintaining a distribution of biological differences, and in a real way ARE themselves the entities being selected and scrutinized with time (biological "individuals" being temporary and disposable carriers). In biological evolutions there are also strange twists like the rise of gametes and sexual reproduction, mutations, imperfections in the copying process, sudden mass-scale external pressures, ..and an unimaginable number of constantly-active interrelated factors that affect every single biological system ..something that could be loosely seen through the perspective of mathematical chaos theory, and it would be virtually impossible to discern the exact extent of any single factor (which can often lead to misinterpreting and degrading an impressively complex system to the false idea of 'randomness')

The purpose of my made-up simple system was to address QRV, and the idea that evolution (in a general/broad/raw sense) was still a theory.

Siren, you're telling me that the simple system I put forth as an example is an incomplete idea of natural selection and evolution..
the answer is: ..yeah ..obviously.
If this is our argument, you win!

Siren: You're extrapolating out-of-context, assuming biology where none is present.
Out of context? Please let me remind you that this thread is about religion and that our debate started with thoughts on the complexity and randomness of our world. And guess what, genes and biology are present in this world. Sure, what i said isn't in accordance with your little system, but my whole point is that you're conveniently focusing in the details that support your argument.

And I can also tell the following about you (editor's note: Siren) (and many other smart individuals that believe the same way):
-You think you understand evolution
-You do not understand evolution

Case dismissed.

@mags: ok, so you're asserting deterministic path dependence, which is very well-known in system theory and, as an abstract concept, in the literature on complexity, but i think it has not been established beyond all doubts in biology. i don't think that you can claim that all folks who, for example, subscribe to evolution theories that feature stochastic elements are wrong. and, for the very last time, it's neither-here-nor-bloody-there with respect to the existence of god. if you believe in god, you can make him fit in whatever pattern of evolution you choose to embrace. which is, again, not to say that god is or isn't there. but well.

Siren: But again, what you addressed me with wasn't at all about what you and I were talking about. It was a point in "evolution vs. possibly no evolution" in a discussion with someone else.
The thing between you and me was more along the lines of: "God exists because of evolution vs. that's not a very valid, argument supported conclusion"
I'll be addressing you in this post (below).
In a reply to hyena, I put an argument that stands between your starting point and your conclusion (where's your argument that links them? :p )

hyena said:
but i think it has not been established beyond all doubts in biology
Well, firstly, I never claimed anything as having been established beyond all doubts. That's a perfectly reasonable skeptic stance (and, in my opinion, a good thing). I argued earlier simply that evolution (in general) was well understood, as opposed to a flimsy "theory" that was still just that: a thought ..a possibility with a humble probability of correctness. Which I would always argue is not the case. Obviously, most of us here don't believe that animals on this planet were created as they are today, and that the earth is roughly 10,000 years old.

hyena said:
i don't think that you can claim that all folks who, for example, subscribe to evolution theories that feature stochastic elements are wrong.
And I think that the randomness such people address is not real randomness. (This is semantics now) For instance, take an event such as the sudden mutation of a gene that creates a seemingly 'random' change of some sort in an organism. Analyzing it further I think there would be a logical causation to that event, as opposed to the universe generating truly random instant events by some unknown force (where a God might fit). For example, radiation of just the right frequency will excite certain atoms within massive organic molecules (like DNA) which ultimately disrupts its chemical bonds, and the nucleic acids in the DNA chain would consequently be put back together in a different order when the strands recombine, and just like that you would have one example of a mutation.

I think what you're referring to is how experts and researchers model specific theories on how exactly evolution occurs. In such models, which could never possibly include every single cause and effect driving the physics, chemistry, and biology of millions of years of transition, one is necessarily driven to make use of composite stochastic variables, in order to simulate an overall series of effects that would easily be seen as "random" in a broad sense or in everyday language.

I guess what it comes down to is that there are different definitions/conceptions of "random".

I'm now remembering about "Random walk" theory, which models diffusion. Sure, one could talk of the process of trillions of particles as "randomly" bouncing off each other as they travel through space. But in looking at each individual interparticle interaction, every single collision I think would always have a physical logical causation ..involving the angle, speed, electrical forces (and other forces of physics that may be as of yet not fully known). That's what all chemistry is at its base: physics. And at the most basic level, all biology is chemistry.
I just don't think there is room for God when everything is analyzed to the most basic scale. Because of this reasoning, in my opinion it isn't very valid at all to use "the wonder of biology" as room for the inevitability of God's existence. (Because biology all boils down to logical cause and effect at every subsequently small level).
And that's just my opinion with my argument.
I couldn't argue against someone, on the other hand, if his or her basis for God's existence lied in the beginning of the universe, and of the physical parameters that ultimately drive everything we know. That would just be speculating a divine force behind it all at the beginning ..it would be a choice, taken purely on faith, in filling a blank (a blank that is there, because we can't yet claim to understand the beginning of 'physics' or the universe even remotely well). In such a case, the difference between that person and an atheist like myself would simply be the decision to make a judgment on just pure faith.

hyena said:
and, for the very last time, it's neither-here-nor-bloody-there with respect to the existence of god. if you believe in god, you can make him fit in whatever pattern of evolution you choose to embrace. which is, again, not to say that god is or isn't there. but well.
I know, you're absolutely right. If you believe, you can see him anywhere, even if you believe animals evolved and weren't simply placed here 10,000 years ago.
I only argue on the relative invalidity of "God-exists" conclusions from "scientific/physical-world phenomena" starting points.

Siren said:
but my whole point is that you're conveniently focusing in the details that support your argument.
Welcome to debating
wink.gif

*offers you a chocolate*

I ran out of chocolate. :(

I couldn't argue against someone, on the other hand, if his or her basis for God's existence lied in the beginning of the universe, and of the physical parameters that ultimately drive everything we know. That would just be speculating a divine force behind it all at the beginning ..it would be a choice, taken purely on faith, in filling a blank (a blank that is there, because we can't yet claim to understand the beginning of 'physics' or the universe even remotely well). In such a case, the difference between that person and an atheist like myself would simply be the decision to make a judgment on just pure faith.
So, we've been pretty much agreeing all along, except for that leap of faith thingy. If you go back to post #179, you will see that that's what i've been saying, that there's too much sense in this world, and that chance is not an acceptable cause of it in my eyes.
As for the rest of randomness, i do agree it's mostly semantics. There are events that look random (for example, in which order the nucleic acids will be put back in the DNA chain in your mutation example), but it could just as well be that we haven't pinpointed all the factors yet. Things are so complex that it is nearly impossible to get to the bottom of them.

@mags: now the point about randomness is interesting. i am not a biologist, hence i have no way to tell which part of the stochastic term in the models actually proxies for omitted variables, and which part defines a proper random process. a hunch would be that the error term is actually part one, part the other - you're right in saying that DNA modifications are always the consequence of A and B and C happening, but (maybe because i have been trained in econometrics and statistics) i kind of tend to cast the simultaneous arising of A, B and C as the result of a random draw from a joint probability distribution.

And you're not out of line in seeing it as that ..you have to for modeling and calculation.
That's pretty much how "Random Walk" theory models diffusion. In following the path of one particle colliding with one other one, an expression can be set up where the particle's position, after the collision, is predicted based on the average speed of the molecule (something correlating to temperature) and the angle at which it bounces off. Statistically, this angle can be said to have an equal probability of being anywhere from 0 -180 degrees. And this angle is a randomly generated variable that you can have MS Excel produce for every single collision that the one particle undergoes. Say you fill 10000 rows of calculations in Excel, simulating 10000 collisions; in the end you would have a predicted distance away from the starting point for that one particle. And voila! It's so clever that it coincides fairly well to what the observed diffusion would be in real life.
Using a truly random variable is in order in this case because it's a model where there are trillions of collisions. At that scale the only efficient way to represent it is taking advantage of probability distribution.

The main point, though, is that this would be modeling, the simulation of massive-scale events that involve equally probable step variations; as opposed to the way things truly are intrinsically.

It's the same way with many other things in science and engineering, which is what I think you were referring to.

hang on, hang on, this is really interesting and close to subjects i know decently, so i'm interested in discussing the point a bit more. if i understand your point correctly, you're saying that in the case of evolution all stochastic terms in any model really correspond to omitted variables. now, i don't know enough about evolution to say whether this is true or false, but i want to draw your attention to the fact that if these unobserved factors are somewhat correlated to the ones you include you are going to get omitted variable bias, meaning that in the end your estimates are not going to be centered. of course this is a very stupid example, in the sense that i certainly don't think that one can explain evolution with linear models, but the same rule applies to other methods as well. if you leave out something that is correlated to what you put in, then what you get on the observed variables is flawed. of course if you are positive that the phenomenon is driven by something you can't observe you're going to use latent variable modeling - say, latent markov chains, or what have you. but then again you need hypotheses on what your latent factor is, and would this be true in the case you mention?

note that in this case i am not trying to say anything at all about religion, just methodological curiosity re stochastic processes that are actually deterministic :p

if i understand your point correctly, you're saying that in the case of evolution all stochastic terms in any model really correspond to omitted variables.
You said the key word right there: "model". And one can't scrutinize it any further for 100% accurate description of the real-world phenomenon, because it will never be that. It will always be just a model.

Mmm... I wouldn't exactly say stochastic terms in a model correspond to omitted variables ..I would say in many cases the stochastic term would be a composite variable, that simulates the effects of a large number of complex or not-understood real-life variables. But this can ONLY be done, if the overall effects of these complex parts can be described statistically in a meaningful way. For instance, if you observe how often certain mutations occur in DNA in a population, with a large enough sample number you would get a statistically meaningful set of data. And you can reliably use that information to anticipate the likelihood of occurrence of those mutations in the future. As an example, let's say you notice that whenever a strand of DNA makes a copy of itself, it screws up part of it. A few nucleic acids get their order swapped when it recombines. (Now you know, that this was a consequence of something, this was NOT out-of-the-ass random, but watch how we don't really need to worry about what caused this)
Now the second time it replicates, the same group of a few nucleic acids are again swapped in some way. And imagine this goes on for thousands of replications. This has now become a large sample set of nucleic acids taking "steps" one or two places to one side or the other, relative to each other. You can describe it as having become a statistical drift. If you were now to make a "model" that describes this effect, you could take your clever formula and stick in there a term that may use a randomly-generated value to simulate the swapping step, of some small DNA piece at each single replication. And you would indeed find that this simulation would also generate a drift of the same magnitude that the real-life natural phenomenon would create.
Again, the important part is, in nature everything happens as an effect of a cause. It's in the simulation that you can speak of "randomness", a shortcut to extensively simplify these complex factors and generate roughly (or accurately) the same statistical effect as the real-life process.*

hyena said:
now, i don't know enough about evolution to say whether this is true or false, but i want to draw your attention to the fact that if these unobserved factors are somewhat correlated to the ones you include you are going to get omitted variable bias, meaning that in the end your estimates are not going to be centered.
Exactly. And in many areas (and many examples do come to mind as I type this) this is the goal of mathematicians and scientists: to come up with better and better models. To include more and more of the most subtle factors that have an influence, or to have their corresponding mathematical term describe the real-life situation better and better.
The point, again, is that these are all just "models".

In engineering, for instance "gas constants", I was made to learn about Joe Schmoe's model, Jack Floggardy's model, QRV's girlfriend's model, as well as Dick's and Harry's. They were all mathematically different, each one more complicated and longer than the last, and they all had their arguments for support. If doing a specific calculation of the gas constant, and plugging in all the givens into their models, one would get say: 8.31789 vs. 8.29932 vs. 8.3259734 vs. 8.36778 ..you get the idea.

hyena said:
of course this is a very stupid example, in the sense that i certainly don't think that one can explain evolution with linear models
Certainly, certainly, not :)

hyena said:
but the same rule applies to other methods as well. if you leave out something that is correlated to what you put in, then what you get on the observed variables is flawed. of course if you are positive that the phenomenon is driven by something you can't observe you're going to use latent variable modeling - say, latent markov chains, or what have you. but then again you need hypotheses on what your latent factor is, and would this be true in the case you mention?
Exactly. You obviously understand that sometimes you simply cannot make certain measurements directly or there is just no way to separate out the magnitudes of the effects of an ocean of complexities and causes. In the case I mentioned, if you mean Random Walk modeling of diffusion, a supercomputer would never be able to accurately process the position, speed, and orientation, of every single molecule at all times, as there are trillions and trillions of them; let alone would a man be able to understand exactly every single factor that goes into determining the precise angle of rebound after a collision between two molecules (you have a speed, orientation, shape!, atomic forces of all sorts, it's insane). You have to reduce the whole thing to having a random number generator give you each angle of rebound, if you want to model the process.

hyena said:
note that in this case i am not trying to say anything at all about religion, just methodological curiosity re stochastic processes that are actually deterministic :p
[size=-2]What? God doesn't exist? Yeah, I know.[/size] :p

* [size=-1]If you remember, hyena, in my simple dot system I said that every time each dot made a copy of itself it wasn't necessarily the exact same shade. If the zapper were removed, and it was only the dots continuing to copy themselves and exist undisturbed, it would be analogous to a simple drift, like the one I discussed. Over time, you would see a drift of color shades because of this copying imperfection. If you give it a little thought, you'll realize that after a long period of time there would be a broadening of the color spectrum represented by the population of dots, and with a mathematical model AND the use of a stochastic term, you would be able to predict the extent of the drift pretty accurately[/size]
wink.gif

To everyone else out there who finds all this boring (very understandable) here's the take-home idea: If ever you see it written, or hear it said, that evolution, or any part of it, involves randomness ..know that it's not true! It is only human thinking and modeling that render certain things as random. The randomness is a tool for mathematicians and people who know what they're doing. It is a misconception to assume it is that way in real-life. And it is simply a shame to think that our world is that simple, and it is therefore an oxymoron to attribute randomness and chance as evidence of complexity and God.

[size=-2]Yes, I snuck in yet another Atheist attack, what![/size] :p

Actually a part of evolution consists of mutation caused by accidents during the cell duplication process (i.e. gene strings breaking or connecting at wrong points so the order of the genes changes and they mean something else). I would call that random.