THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE | New Album Talk HERE.

It's a pity that Katatonia aren't using their current logo, it's a good piece of design. But I can see how the minimal text fits the new artwork.
Itching to buy this one.

The more I looked at the artwork, the better I liked this simple way of writing "Katatonia" ... yes really... I'm starting loving it ...

For me it always takes some time to get in touch with new stuff of my fave bands ... dunno why ...

I remember before Viva Emptiness came out they posted a 45-second clip of Evidence 4 months before hand (that album came out in April of 2003), and then a month later they came out with a small clip of Criminals and then a month after that a small clip of Ghost of the Sun.

Perhaps they'll do the same thing with The Great Cold Distance and we'll get two more new songs MP3s before March.

One can only hope.

-Vince

EvilVince said:
I remember before Viva Emptiness came out they posted a 45-second clip of Evidence 4 months before hand (that album came out in April of 2003), and then a month later they came out with a small clip of Criminals and then a month after that a small clip of Ghost of the Sun.

Perhaps they'll do the same thing with The Great Cold Distance and we'll get two more new songs MP3s before March.

One can only hope.

-Vince

I think your right.....they arent just going to leave us hanging till febuary......they shall tease us....oh yes they shall....

EvilVince said:

One can only hope.

-Vince

Yeah, and according to my media program I listened to them 242043842 times waiting for the album to come out. I hope they'll follow suit and do the same thing for this abum as well.

:ill: im so upset, it doesnt sound like katatonia anymore though, it just sounds like nu metal crap same style same everything , so predictable, i didnt shit my pants aswell, more than this, im halfways dead,no wonder why jonas keep on listening tori, maynard spect same shit:hotjump:

lifeless_life said:
:ill: im so upset, it doesnt sound like katatonia anymore though, it just sounds like nu metal crap same style same everything , so predictable, i didnt shit my pants aswell, more than this, im halfways dead,no wonder why jonas keep on listening tori, maynard spect same shit:hotjump:

go back to your hardcore asstaggin cave and listen to what you think Katatonia sounds like.....grow up....like Katatonia has....refine yourself like Katatonia has......understand that I am in no way disregarding the fact of what Katatonia has done in the past.....but they have grown as paople and as musicians....and if you cant grow as a fan....then stay stuck on yourself.....and keep on believing that nothing should evolve and grow...that is what I predict will happen to you....youll be like my highschool buddy who still sits in his room 10 years later.. ranting about how noone can truly appreciate the works of the Misfits....and how they shouldnt even listen to them....
Rant on dude....my advice is to take a listen to the new katatonia CD when it comes out and then listen to some nu-metal......if you cant tell the difference....then the problem is you....not katatonia....
ask yourself....."what is wrong...not with Katatonia...but me"

Reece

At last! I loved the clip! The new Katatonia sound even more modern and fresh! Jonas' vox are amazing and so fragile as always! The opening tune has a great dark feeling/groove!
As for the artwork, it is simply stunning!!! It's just what I hoped for it to be, although I'd like it green rather than red, as I've said in an older relevant thread :p! But that rusty red suits my fine nevertheless!!!

Can't wait to hear/buy the album!

I'm also happy with the new stuff and all... but I am very, very disappointed with the album release date... :\

.....................................................................................................................................................

FUCKING WOW.

i'll be a broken record and repeat what everyone else has said already.

but..

WOW. wow.. wow.. amazing. Jona's voice sends shiver down my spine. and the lines

"i think of love
i let it pass
it feels like fire
but it won't last"

brought tears to my eyes. wow. amazing. goddamn fucking amazing.

thank you Katatonia. \m/

(Btw.. Come to Vancouver, Canada next time you are touring... pleeeeeaaasseeee :) )

HeBeHu said:
One should not judge the whole song on a edited song clip, but I felt somewhat let down by it. Too "standard" Katatonia and VE sounding. VE sounding isn't naturally a bad thing, but until now each now each Katatonia album has had its own distinct sound so...but then again, it's just one song.

But I love the promo pic and there definately can be found some old-Entombedish elements in it :D The cover art feels very similiar to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia cover. Oh well, maybe it's just the hand position :D

Anyone else fear the worst with "MY TWIN (OPIUM DUB)"?

MAYBE YOURE RIGHT...AND THIS ONE IS NOT AN EXCEPTION...IT FEELS REALLY REALLY NEW, REALLY, VIVA EMPTINESS ITS A FUCKING GREAT ALBUM, AND YEAH...SOUNDS LIKE..BUT NOT THE SAME...IF SOMETHING IS DISTINCTIVE OF KATATONIA, ITS TO BE SO DAMN CREATIVE...THE BATTERY FEELS DIFERENT (FOR ME), AND THE GUITARS ARE A DAMN GOOD MIX TOO.NO CRITISISM FOR NOW...AND IF THIS LOOKS LIKE THE PAST ALBUMS (EVIDENCE DEMO, AND TEARGAS DEMO)...HAVE NO FEAR...MAN...CANT HAVE ENOUGH "MY TWIN" TODAY...ITS JUST DAMN GREAT JUST TO LISTEN THE FEELING JONAS PUT IN THE SONG...MAN...ITS MY FAVOURITE.

Deliverance6 said:
go back to your hardcore asstaggin cave and listen to what you think Katatonia sounds like.....grow up....like Katatonia has....refine yourself like Katatonia has......understand that I am in no way disregarding the fact of what Katatonia has done in the past.....but they have grown as paople and as musicians....and if you cant grow as a fan....then stay stuck on yourself.....and keep on believing that nothing should evolve and grow...that is what I predict will happen to you....youll be like my highschool buddy who still sits in his room 10 years later.. ranting about how noone can truly appreciate the works of the Misfits....and how they shouldnt even listen to them....
Rant on dude....my advice is to take a listen to the new katatonia CD when it comes out and then listen to some nu-metal......if you cant tell the difference....then the problem is you....not katatonia....
ask yourself....."what is wrong...not with Katatonia...but me"

Reece

YOU GOT ME MAN....YOURE SPEECH GOT ME:worship: ...HEHE...AND...WHOEVER SAYS KATATONIA IS NU-METAL...ITS FUCKED UP...REALLY...HAHAHA I HAVE HEARD THE SAME ABOUT SOILWORK....MAN...THE WORLD ITS FULL OF PURISTS.

mmm... I wonder if KATATONIA got a copy of KLIMT 1918’s "dopoguerra" in ther hands or possibly visited their site (www.klimt1918.com or even better "http://secession-spirits.splinder.com/")... that is because the artwork for "In Great Cold Distance" seems kind of an imitation of the (perhaps amazing) Italian act’s latest CD.

It might be just a simple coincidence…. yet KLIMT 1918 has become rather popular in the European music scene and I'm shocked that the occurrence went unnoticed.

Ren

chicagospleen said:
mmm... I wonder if KATATONIA got a copy of KLIMT 1918’s "dopoguerra" in ther hands or possibly visited their site (www.klimt1918.com or even better "http://secession-spirits.splinder.com/")... that is because the artwork for "In Great Cold Distance" seems kind of an imitation of the (perhaps amazing) Italian act’s latest CD.

It might be just a simple coincidence…. yet KLIMT 1918 has become rather popular in the European music scene and I'm shocked that the occurrence went unnoticed.

Ren

it doesnt really matter...whats important here its the music...ok? THE MUSIC..................................and i love it.

I too have enjoyed the sample and am truly anticipating the single and album.

The artwork seems both fresh and very fitting. I do miss the logo, though, and hope that at the least it is only being omitted for the cover. (I actually think it could work well with that artwork, though.)

I'm glad this band is moving forward.

Deliverance6 said:
youll be like my highschool buddy who still sits in his room 10 years later.. ranting about how noone can truly appreciate the works of the Misfits....and how they shouldnt even listen to them....

now that would be a terrible existence...

warrus said:
it doesnt really matter...whats important here its the music...ok? THE MUSIC..................................and i love it.

I do have to agree with you. However, and many here are going to despite me for saying this, I think that Katatonia died a while ago and have nothing else to offer (or perhaps are not showing any musical and conceptual growth).

I remember when Dance of December Souls came out many years ago, when I was a teenager: that record represented something special – it was articulated and meaningful. Then, Brave Murder Day (to date their masterpiece) came along... those deep lyrics, that sorrow, the pain, the nails on the wall, the glass on the floor, the puddles of rain, that genuine desperation... Where did it all go? Katatonia, through that record, introduced a new sound and succeeded where Paradise Lost failed. It was a magic era. They inspired many bands in exploring a new sound, a different interpretation of the death metal drumming, and guitar technical strategies – they introduced something fresh to the table

Suddenly, and many might not agree with me, somewhere along the line the band forgot its mesmerizing desperation and started replacing it with the current (and perchance evident) pop-emo-numetal-whatever-you-want-to-call-it songwriting style: In the lyrics there seems to be no content and whatever is supposed to be poetic ends up appearing extremely banal. I believe that they "vulgarized" and bastardized their “concept” - now they are simply another rock band with nothing else to say and offer (lyrics wise and music wise).

Where is the poetry of "day" or "quiet world"?

Going further, so many things have been happening throughout the world. The band members are now adults... can we see some sort of sense of social purpose or political involvement? Let's consider the notion of art, what it represent, and its responsibilities: Art grows, develops itself, and is responsible to mirror not only a microcosmic, intimate, or existentialistic (selfish?) perspective but especially a larger one; art is responsible to expand and reach out. My question is: what does "the great cold distance has to offer"? I could easily listen to "last fair deal gone down" or to bands like A Perfect Circle (who's last record, ironically, is an anti-war propaganda), Godspeed!youblackemperor, Dredg, Thursday? What else could the band offer? Are they creating art or is their “dark-ness” a mere gimmick? The same story could be easily applied to Opeth (who died after “My Arms, Your Hearse”).

I am not attacking. I just want you to meditate on these things. I might be wrong. I also suggest you to listen to KLIMT 1918's music and to read their lyrics and to tell me if you notice something different.