The Greatest Black Metal Bands of All Time

KevenZ said:
The Greys, you're the one who's not getting anything KID.

Bathory was first a raw black metal bands, then turned to Viking metal, which Quorton has created, he was the first to introduce this genre, later he has made some trash albums, and returned to viking, but Bathory is still the king of viking metal, i haven't heard any bands who surpass him.

Yes but I think he's saying Bathory had that thrash feel to the first couple of albums, which were highly influenced by Venom's sound at the time.

If you've ever listened to Venom, or listened to Bathory knowing what thrash and speed sound like, you'd hear it.

KevenZ said:
The Greys, you're the one who's not getting anything KID.

Bathory was first a raw black metal bands, then turned to Viking metal, which Quorton has created, he was the first to introduce this genre, later he has made some trash albums, and returned to viking, but Bathory is still the king of viking metal, i haven't heard any bands who surpass him.

I'm not talking about the bands black metal or viking metal albums. I'm talking about the ones i've heard from the early 80's that have a raw rock/thrash vibe to them(like Venom who they probably ripped off anyways). Venom has an album called black metal but does it really sound like what people think is 'black metal' ?

I also don't a flying fuck who does what first because a band always take a few influence's from bands before them. Metal was influenced by hardrock & 70's bands.

How do you get Bathory,venom,etc..... black sabbath,mercyful fate,judas priest,maiden,etc... who influenced those bands.. probably cream,mountain,jethro toll,deep purple,etc..

People considered Mercyful Fate the first black metal band(probably because KD's paint,lyrics) but really MF just sounds like 80's hardrock/judas priest. Just taken to more extremes.

Bands like Venom,bathory,etc.. are not the first extreme bands so don't tell me I should not be posting on a message board for whatever reason you cunt.

I don't want to here your anus.com elitist shit because regardless if Bathory existed their would still be viking metal,black metal. Heavy music already existed,vikings already existed,the past already existed.

It's like saying if the first person that invented something to take a shit never existed there would be no such thing as a toilet & we'd all take shits on the ground. Someone would be like 'where am I going to shit', use whatever they have to make a toilet.

I'm not going to kiss some bands asses because the were influenced by some bands before them. Everyone in music is influenced by something. Stuff just does not happen over night.

OMG PRAISE BATHORY OR LEAVE... I'M METAL,etc.. blah blah...

fuck you

Black Metal - Mayhem, Immortal
Symphonic Black Meatal - Emperor, Anorexia Nervosa, Limbonic Art
Melodic Black Metal - Dimmu Borgir (Stormblast), Mystic Circle
Industrial/Electro Black Metal - Aborym,

Vital Remains said:
Zyklon is a black metal band with melodic death influences. So ya know what they might as well be black metal. Smart ass
Fucking bullshit. They are fucking more death than black....with industrial elemens.

There is ALOT of black metal that sounds very similar and doesn't differentiate much, but here are the bands I listen to and love because they were originators or stand out from the genre in a big way:

Bathory (Under the Sign is truly a masterpiece)
Burzum
Immortal
Naglfar
Breath of Sorrows
Dark Funeral
Borknagar (can't believe no one mentioned these already!!)
Dimmu Borgir
Enslaved
Abysmal Gates
Cradle of Filth (Midian album)
Dissection
Dawn
If you can call Celtic Frost and Behemoth (Satanica onwards) black metal, them too.

Hails to all those bands!!!

I'm not a big black metal fan but Nagelfar is way better then Naglfar. I believe the E makes all the difference in the world.

I also like Grand Belial's key, Dark tribe and Bathory. Yeah that's a pretty shot list. :erk:

Bathory
Immortal
Mayhem
Leviathan
Borknagar
Emperor
Gorgoroth
Limbonic Art
Mercyful Fate
Old Man's Child
Rotting Christ
Satyricon

my favs anyway.

I will personally beat everyone's ass for not mentioning Satyricon! They are a black metal band that do not get the respect they deserve. Even with Satyr's current "post-black metal" style of songwriting, Satyricon is still "tr00" black metal, just as delightfully ugly and spiteful as the rest of 'em.