The Greatest Black Metal Bands of All Time

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
I will personally beat everyone's ass for not mentioning Satyricon! They are a black metal band that do not get the respect they deserve. Even with Satyr's current "post-black metal" style of songwriting, Satyricon is still "tr00" black metal, just as delightfully ugly and spiteful as the rest of 'em.

I also love Satyricon. "Dark Medieval Times" is a classic, and considering that Satyr was only 18 when it was made it just astonishing. I do enjoy all their albums but Volcano is easily my least favourite, I really did like the folk/medieval influences found on their first 3 albums.

Interest in knowing what Satyricon's new album will sound like...I believe it's called "Now, Diabolical". I don't understand why they've made so little music since their existence. With all their touring, it must get tedious playing the same songs over and over. And aren't Thorns coming out with a new album?

VampyrRose said:
I also love Satyricon. "Dark Medieval Times" is a classic, and considering that Satyr was only 18 when it was made it just astonishing. I do enjoy all their albums but Volcano is easily my least favourite, I really did like the folk/medieval influences found on their first 3 albums.

Meh, basically everyone in the scene was under 22-23 when they made their best work. Hellhammer was the only older guy in the bunch if I remember correctly. Someone posted a list of birthdates a while ago. I think Grutle was like 14 when he started Enslaved.

The Greys said:
A bunch of random bullshit that makes me wonder how The Greys has not got more intelligent still

...Listen to "Under The Sign: Sign Of The Black Mark", or more specifically Equimanthorn. Bathory being questioned as black metal now, what a joke.

Oh and Possessed never were great.

Pull The Plug said:
...Listen to "Under The Sign: Sign Of The Black Mark", or more specifically Equimanthorn. Bathory being questioned as black metal now, what a joke.

I'm not saying bathory never did any black metal albums. I said the ones I heard were not viking or black metal(which is why I did not list Bathory in the thread... dduhhh) but more raw rock/thrash. What's so fucking hard to get ?

This is what I said for why I did not list Bathory in my black metal list "The bathory i've heard sounds more like raw rock/thrash". What does this have to do with black metal or viking metal albums. I have not heard those albums from the band. I have heard the early 80's albums. If I did not hear any black metal bathory cds why would they be on my list ?

I'm sorry but i'm not the 'moron' some of you are idiots.

The bathory albums I have heard are BATHORY which is like i've been saying raw rock/thrash. Besides this not being black metal or viking metal to me the band member backs it up “My goal was to mix the speed of Motörhead with the dark atmosphere of Black Sabbath” - Quorthon.......

Other early Bathory albums I have heard are 'the return' & 'Blood Fire Death'

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE BLACK METAL OR VIKING ALBUMS and never was so get of my ass. I'm just saying what I have heard & what it sounded like.

what is wrong with some of you.

...and i'm not intelligent!

How can such a simple short comment like "The bathory i've heard sounds more like raw rock/thrash" turn into something it is not.

First someone says I have never heard bathory after the comment. Then someone says i'm saying bathory is not black metal.

what the hell really.

I could have written half a song for the time i've spent with you two fucks on nothing.

MasterOLightning said:
Meh, basically everyone in the scene was under 22-23 when they made their best work. Hellhammer was the only older guy in the bunch if I remember correctly. Someone posted a list of birthdates a while ago. I think Grutle was like 14 when he started Enslaved.

I believe that was Ivar Bjornson or however you spell his name.

Pull The Plug said:

except bathory's bm period is essentially worthless

edit: hammerheart > twilight of the gods = blood fire death > norldland i > blood on ice :)o) > * pretty much :eek:

Bascially the majority of the bands already listed here make up my favourites. Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, Satyricon etc.....the classic bands. But also bands like Naglfar, (early) Behemoth, Lord Belial, 1349 etc.

Three favourite 'black metal' albums:
Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
Burzum - Filosofem
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

VampyrRose said:
Bascially the majority of the bands already listed here make up my favourites. Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, Satyricon etc.....the classic bands. But also bands like Naglfar, (early) Behemoth, Lord Belial, 1349 etc.

Three favourite 'black metal' albums:
Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
Burzum - Filosofem *
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

*YAWWWWWWWWWWWNSVILLE USA - Someone care to explain to me why this isn't the worlds biggest snooze-fest ?

VomitBubble said:
..you know... because Vittra is better than those 2? (though still they are great, I'm just saying)

I actually like Naglfar's last two albums better than Vittra (though I haven't gave it much listen). Jens' early vocals remind of Alexei Laiho. I like Sheol because of its sheer agression, but Pariah for its pure hatred. Both albums are more than satisfying. Though I wonder what will happen should/when Jens comes back, would Kristoffer return to his past duties or still contribute vocals?

Diabolical Masquerade - Ravendusk in my Heart, The Phantom Lodge, Nightwork, Death's Design

Dies Irae - Circle of Leth

Enochian Crescent - Telocvovim

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi

What's a good Enslaved album to start with. I heard ISA and only like certain parts. I was not big on the cleans or expirmentation.