The Guitarist Thread

absolutely. I'm sure you've noticed that i have never even written a song with even semi-technical playing in it hehehe... and for years i was all about wanting to shred. The only shred i've written and recorded was for this solo contest a few years back. Everything else is usually pretty simple, or acoustic.

Here's kind of an example of what i mean, i play more stuff like this these days than anything. This is not exactly the best sound, but i was just messing around. Some parts are supposed to be burried way deep, so you "sense" them more than you actually hear them. Still doesn't quite sound how i wanted though haha.

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/epicthing.mp3

I got a PODXT today and haven't the slightest idea how to use it yet. I threw this together in a couple hours. It has 24 layers of guitar or something ridiculous (and probably unnecessary!).

http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/april.mp3

I haven't the foggiest idea how to EQ things properly or find good tones yet cause I'm an extreme recording noob (also my guitar strings were all COMPLETELY dead cause I didn't feel like replacing them yet) and I know the cymbals sound like shit, haha. Good cymbal samples are hard to come by (unless you drop 34793874 dollars for DFHS). Any constructive criticism regarding tone would be appreciated :D It sounds bad to me, I think, but I can't be entirely sure. Once you listen to something hundreds of times in a row you lose the ability to judge it properly.

And yeah I know I need to get the metal tone pack for the POD, I am going to hold off on that until I get my tax returns back in a week or two :)

I've heard that mp3 of yours before, Mikey. It's good, has a lot of character and can develop into a unique sound.

@Wankerness: Once you get the metal pack, head over to Andy Sneap's forum and grab Kazrog's PODxt patch. It's the best starting point you'll get for metal rhythm guitars, and it's become sort of like a standard for the PODxt users on there.

yeah, still got that baby :p I'm tempted to get something new, but to be honest i play guitar a loooootttt less than i used to. What i do play these days i rather simple stuff. I'm more interested in layering things than having one part stand out definitively, and layering complex guitar playing usually sounds pretty not-good hehe...

Mikey - have you heard Steve Reich's "Electric Counterpoint"? It's not overly complex, and it may be totally not what you're looking for but it's an excellent example of how the electric guitar can be used in a layering/building sense. PM me if you're interested and haven't heard it.

I don't play too much wanky guitar stuff... when I was first learning, that was all I wanted to do, but I became disinterested with shredding pretty quickly. Most of my current compositions deal with lots of layering of various sounds... most of them are of simple guitar with or without effects, drums, various interesting loops, etc.

I have a MySpace for this project: http://www.myspace.com/roboreus

I will have samples up fairly soon, so check it out sometime! :)

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, it was generally poorly played. I don't really have the song down that well yet. It's one of the hardest, if not THE hardest track I've ever tried to learn.

Yeah, Necro songs are very good to practice.I learned FoD solo lately from Necro.Which song are you talking about?

JoeVice said:
i dunno about prs, but from my experience, any older big name brand guitar is better. it seems like a lot of companies *cough* (gibson) *cough* make shit quality instruments and sell them at the same price that their good stuff used to be, then jack up the price on their good stuff in the now. its fucking capitalism at its best...its fucking shitty.

as far as initial playability, i think that its hard to judge a cared for and well-weathered guitar in comparison to a newer one. pretty much every old guitar that i have played that has been taken care of feels better because its been "broken in." newer ones always have some rough edges, but with some tlc can become beauties.
I guess ultimately the answer is to play them and see. Easy with the new stuff, it's right there in the shop but I guess I'm kind of paranoid that for reasons like you mention, I'm getting ripped off buying a new one when the possibly pre sell-out version is a completely different animal and a much better instrument. Those older one are hard to find to try out.
In a way I'm uneasy about eBaying guitars because all companies make nice and not-so-nice examples and I wonder if the turkeys are the ones that people get disgruntled with and sell off.

I don't know how good Gibsons used to be but I have a 2005 Les Paul Studio that's quite nice. Much better value than the Standard IMO.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i owned a prs ce24 about 4 years ago or so. i enjoyed it, but wasnt thrilled about the bolt on neck. it was a 1998 model, so i cant speak from experience on early 90s models. i can however say that ive loved every PRS model ive ever owned (3 and counting over time now), and anyone who says theyre overpriced/overrated crap...is obviously speaking out of jealousy and ignorance...rather than knowledge and experience. i would hold out for a standard or a custom though...the CE models are definitely the bottom of the food chain for PRS.

Thanks for the post. I'm kind of sniffing around trying to look for a single guitar that I'll almost always prefer to play rather than keep greedily searching for ones that sound like this or that...

Heckelgruber said:
Thanks for the post. I'm kind of sniffing around trying to look for a single guitar that I'll almost always prefer to play rather than keep greedily searching for ones that sound like this or that...

Ever considered getting a custom made guitar? They are WELL worth the money if you do your research (i.e. know the specs you're looking for DEFINITELY, wood types, bridge types, neck shape, fretboard radius, electronics, etc.) and you find a decent luthier to help you on your quest.

thelordofcheesecake said:
Mikey - have you heard Steve Reich's "Electric Counterpoint"? It's not overly complex, and it may be totally not what you're looking for but it's an excellent example of how the electric guitar can be used in a layering/building sense. PM me if you're interested and haven't heard it.

I do have that album actually, it's pretty cool :)

^The Reich album sounds cool...very interested. Only know a few things by Reich, mostly Clapping Music.

thelordofcheesecake said:
Ever considered getting a custom made guitar? They are WELL worth the money if you do your research (i.e. know the specs you're looking for DEFINITELY, wood types, bridge types, neck shape, fretboard radius, electronics, etc.) and you find a decent luthier to help you on your quest.

I have thought about it a bit and yes, it might be better than spunking a vast amount of money on a factory guitar that isn't quite what you want. Is this something you've done and what did you go for?

Heckelgruber said:
I have thought about it a bit and yes, it might be better than spunking a vast amount of money on a factory guitar that isn't quite what you want. Is this something you've done and what did you go for?

Yep. I went for it and haven't regretted it at all. It's basically just a hybrid of a few different designs, but with a couple of little added touches. I can give the contact details for the guy who made it (he's based in Gainsborough, Lincs) although I haven't spoken to him in a while and don't know what his current status is. It came to £2300 in the end, all inc. but £500 of that alone was spent on fancy inlay work. This basically amounts to you being able to get a custom guitar to your exact specs for around £2000 - less than the price of a decent Gibson Les Paul. PM me for more info, either on my axe alone or on the luthier.