The heaviest albums of all time

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
What would you say were the heaviest albums of all time?

By this I mean the loudest sounding and most energetic Metal album.

Here are my picks:

BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY
This album is just pure Power. Geezer's bass makes this sound the Heaviest album in the world. The slow Tempo only helps that dense sound.

BLACK SABBATH - VOL.4
Has all the characteristics of the previous album without the thunderous bass. The album is however faster and more energetic than Master Of Reality.

BLACK SABBATH - DEHUMANIZER
Has the thunderous bass and the energy. Dio's voice on this album sounds far heavier than Ozzy's voice ever has.

ENTOMBED - MORNING STAR
Entombed's trademark Genre is at its heaviest here.

THERION - OF DARKNESS
The slow dominant power chord build up makes this sound heavy.

MORTICIAN - CHAINSAW DISMEMBERMENT
Heavy sound helped by drum beat.

Seems like Black Sabbath made the heaviest albums of all time unless someone can tell me any heavier albums and please don't give silly suggestions like Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibriun, Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets, Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth e.t.c.

When giving your ideas please give a reason as well.

Profånity said:
What would you say were the heaviest albums of all time?

By this I mean the loudest sounding and most energetic Metal album.

Here are my picks:

BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY
This album is just pure Power. Geezer's bass makes this sound the Heaviest album in the world. The slow Tempo only helps that dense sound.

BLACK SABBATH - VOL.4
Has all the characteristics of the previous album without the thunderous bass. The album is however faster and more energetic than Master Of Reality.

BLACK SABBATH - DEHUMANIZER
Has the thunderous bass and the energy. Dio's voice on this album sounds far heavier than Ozzy's voice ever has.

ENTOMBED - MORNING STAR
Entombed's trademark Genre is at its heaviest here.

THERION - OF DARKNESS
The slow dominant power chord build up makes this sound heavy.

MORTICIAN - CHAINSAW DISMEMBERMENT
Heavy sound helped by drum beat.

Seems like Black Sabbath made the heaviest albums of all time unless someone can tell me any heavier albums and please don't give silly suggestions like Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibriun, Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets, Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth e.t.c.

When giving your ideas please give a reason as well.

First of all, "heaviness" and "most energetic" are, in my opinion, almost mutually exclusive. But, I quibble.

I agree, MASTER OF REALITY easily tops the list for traditional heaviness. I also agree with the Mortician pick, but you will get a lot of flack for that. Many people cannot appreciate the simple-minded brutality that is MORTICIAN!!!

Other bastions of heaviness include:

Diabolical Conquest - INCANTATION
Cause of Death - OBITUARY

Devourment - Molesting The Decapitated
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Insision - Beneath The Folds Of Flesh
Gorguts - The Erosion Of Sanity
Sinister - Hate
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
Cyptopsy - None So Vile

There are more that I can't think of right now.

You guys hit the nail on the head. When I read the thread title I thought "Master of Reality" immediately. Start to finish it's the heaviest slab of metal ever tracked start-to-finish.

Now if you asked me heaviest song of all time, it would be Black Sabbath's eponymous song from their debut album. That will be never be topped with any form of crushing power. Ironic, as it was the first song on the first real metal record ever. Way to set the bar eh? A close second would be Sabbath's "Into the Void".

As much as it pains me to mention their name anymore, Master of Puppets from THAT band is quite honestly a pretty heavy and groundbreaking record.

Of newer releases I'd have to say Cathedral's Endtyme is up there, holy cow. Also Krisiun's latest Works of Carnage is heavy. Also I'd say High on Fire's Surrounded by Thieves is down the right path for this thread too.

Good stuff.

Electric Wizard's self-titled is one of the most fucking heaviest things you're ever going to hear, or at least that I've heard. :)

I agree with the mention of Master Of Puppets.

Though the bands humor filled lyrics and parts like the laughable piano section to the amazing track Vampire Of Dusseldorf, Macabre's Sinister Slaughter was pretty damn heavy, especially the song Zodiak.

Crystal Ages brilliant, furious work of art, Far Beyond Divine Horizons has a pretty heavy sound to it as well. Crystals Of The Wise, especially that first growl...god that makes me want to ejaculate when I hear that, also the song Star Destroyer, so fucking metal.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Meshuggah - Chaosphere

complete cold and mechanical chaos, absolutely zero emotion and melody, i swear its a bunch of machines making the album

The second best reply on this thread; the best being Master of Reality.

I agree with Black Sabbath's title track.... theyve never topped it in heaviness ever, and what, that came out in 1970? talk about being way ahead of its time.... heh... what was the "heaviest" song before that, some Led Zeppelin song or something?

Life Sucks said:
Devourment - Molesting The Decapitated
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Insision - Beneath The Folds Of Flesh
Gorguts - The Erosion Of Sanity
Sinister - Hate
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
Cyptopsy - None So Vile

There are more that I can't think of right now.
I asked for a reason for each album choice, as you didn't give any reasons I therefore cannot take anything you say seriously.

Raumien said:
Electric Wizard's self-titled is one of the most fucking heaviest things you're ever going to hear, or at least that I've heard. :)
Good choice. They are probably one of the heaviest bands i've ever heard. My damn stereo was thundering when I played Electric Wizard.

Flaming Death said:
man, i wish i could get ahold of that Cystal Age album.

Well I know a shop in Ohio, where I got mine, that has 4 copies for 2$ each. Hopefully you live in the area, or maybe I could buy it for you and we could do some mail thing or maybe I could place it on Ebay for you.

Yup, with Electric Wizard I often turn my bass amp to its lowest setting and the bass still feels overpowered. :p

I'll get around to my reasons eventually, let me go post my new topic first. :)

Obituary "Cause Of Death"

Death "Scream Bloody Gore" (IN that raw type of way.)

Slayer "Show No Mercy" (Raw asa ll hell,and their best in my opinion. )

No one has mentioned "Speak English or Die" by SOD. I'm surprised. A close second though, is Slayer's "Reign in Blood." That was the first album I had listened to that was just mercilessly heavy all the way through. Certainly no ballads there.