The Heaviest Fucking Metal Band

Heaviness is a subjective term. In some ways, I can see Zeppelin being heavier than Nile. Distortion doesn't really make you heavier than a band that uses less.
I guess there are tons of different definitions of "heavy" in music, or, people's interpretation of the term vary greatly. Yes, heaviness isn't all about distortion; you could play a 12 bar blues with the thickest, most distorted tone ever, and it still won't even be as heavy as a flower metal band. However, a thick, distorted sound, in combination with dark, chunky riffage, makes for the heaviest music.

To the people that find blues based hard rock heavy: what is your definition of heaviness? I'd just be curious to see how you define it. This isn't a flame or anything.

I agree with you Life Sucks. I'm not huge Nile fan, but I find them far and away heavier than Led Zeppelin
Nile isn't my favorite band, either. But they are the heaviest (IMO) well known (by extreme metal standards) death metal band. The guy on the other message board was trying to tell me that Communication Breakdown by Zeppelin is "super heavy." At least he had enough sense to not site Black Dog (man, do I hate that song) or anything along those lines as an example of a heavy Zeppelin song.

hmm not sure which band I would consider the heaviest as it's really hard to judge. But if i had to pick one it would be wormed and then followed by brodequin or liturgy.

Heaviest metal band I've heard is a grindcore band, but what really makes a metal band heavy? I see grindcore has the fast paced drumming, wacky riffs, and the screams of a banshee. Sounds heavy to me. But can it be heavier? is there a limit to how heavy metal can be? Hmm....maybe so. What more can we add?

I see heaviness as a measure of how much weight the guitars add to the beat of the song. It's usually the "dark chunky riffage" more than the fast blasting that does this.

I see heaviness as a measure of how much weight the guitars add to the beat of the song. It's usually the "dark chunky riffage" more than the fast blasting that does this.
This is sort of my opinion. If you think about the actual word heavy and the definition, that gives some sort of indication what the the heaviest music should sound like. Sure a band like Brodequin are brutal, but their music doesn't have any where near the same weight as some far less brutal doom bands.

True. How about slam riff passages, that are usually a combination of palm muted chugging and blast beats? I think that slam riffs are heavy, but overused.

Whoever said that the first two Asphyx albums are as heavy as fuck, I wholeheartedly aggree. The thick guitar sound, and slowed down thrashy palm muting make for a sound that is heavier than fuck.

Faster bands tend to not be heavy. I also do not find brutal death metal bands heavy along with modern death metal.

Faster bands tend to not be heavy. I also do not find brutal death metal bands heavy along with modern death metal.
I find brutal death to be crushing, paticularly if it has lots of slam riffs, and a thick guitar sound. That is not to say that I find such a style good, though. I don't find black metal to be very heavy, for the most part. For instance, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Slayer, etc. are heavier than Graveland, Moonblood, Burzum, Bilskirnir, etc. Some black metal is pretty heavy, though, most notably the more thrashy stuff or norsecore stuff.

Black metal usually is not very heavy. I would consider some Deathspell Omega and The Ruins Of Beverast to be kind of heavy, however...

Nile isn't my favorite band, either. But they are the heaviest (IMO) well known (by extreme metal standards) death metal band. The guy on the other message board was trying to tell me that Communication Breakdown by Zeppelin is "super heavy." At least he had enough sense to not site Black Dog (man, do I hate that song) or anything along those lines as an example of a heavy Zeppelin song.

Krisiun are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay heaviet than Nile.

I define heavy as "brutal", these bands should overcome your senses with an onslaught of pure aggression. I don't think bands with burping style vocals are that heavy, sometimes melodic bands (At The Gates) can be even heavier than other styles of metal, Doom bands are only heavy in a one-dimensional way unless they are death/doom, I think fast bands can attain a more brutal sound by combining heavyness with speed,

the bands I would consider the most heavy are bands which have a primitive sounding attack with fast, precise distorted riffs, very evil vocals which are well articulated and evil sounding, and these bands are usually consistent in their songs, and do not "let up", bands like early Entombed, Krisiun, later At the Gates etc...