while we're on the subject of opeth...

As for relatively recent releases Vehemence impressed last year. Sick story and images and great musicianship and some impressive arrangements. But definitely nothing other than death vocals.
Worth checking out however. Someone else has already mentioned them.

If you liked Deliverance especially the title track, Grin by Coroner is an absolutely essential listen for some prog-death-thrash roots.

As for the current batch of bands out there I don't know.

Shadows Fall from last year was OK but the vocals did not gel with me.

Oh definitely the latest Katatonia but then again thats 6 months old and I like the cheesiness of Children Of Bodom.

As for Arch Enemy they have been getting good reviews but I have not heard any of their stuff so reserve my judgement. But it doesn't sound too crash hot in your final summary.

Lamb Of God and Corporation 187 are both some good old fashioned thrash, mm hmm.

and, how about Meshuggah? they aren't an unknown band by any stretch, but they're pretty cool.

If anyone knows what metal is they should have no problem with Children of Bodom, they epitomize the entire scene. Amon amarth is amzing and have always been. I havent seen at the gates on here and im shocked because arch enemy is a total rip off of atg.

BiatchGuy said:
Lamb Of God and Corporation 187 are both some good old fashioned thrash, mm hmm.

and, how about Meshuggah? they aren't an unknown band by any stretch, but they're pretty cool.

Ah dude, Meshuggah rule. Their polyrhythmic ways astound me. Fredrick Thorendal is a great rhythm guitarist, and Tomas Haake is a badass drummer.

Neurotomania said:
their newest (anthems of rebellion) is terrible, and not easily downloaded from anywhere at the moment. wages of sin is a good album, only a couple of tracks I don't like. the problem with the new one is that it isn't good. in fact its bad, each song only has about 3 riffs, all terrible, its downtuned so much there's no life left in the melodic sections - all the riffs literally go like

A A

A A

A A A A A B A

and there are LOADS of horrible sounding squeals and growls.

and the chorus of every single song is balls.

You sure you didn't get the fake version? its been going round a lot.

Anyone else who has any sense, don't listen to this guy, listen to the album first, its completely the opposite from what he says. Its full of energy, got great solos, and only one song is downtuned. I don't know what you expected from AE, but they couldn't have done any better than this album its great!

brooklynmayhem said:
If anyone knows what metal is they should have no problem with Children of Bodom, they epitomize the entire scene. Amon amarth is amzing and have always been. I havent seen at the gates on here and im shocked because arch enemy is a total rip off of atg.

i think you're confusing AE with the haunted - and they're allowed to rip off ATG for obvious reasons. I wouldn't say AE, old or nu, sounds like atg much.

don't like children of bodom. wanky.

well wages of sin reminded me a lot of ATG not so much burning bridges and other previous material. I am not stupid and have been listening to the haunted since they came out and realize that they are allowed to rip off atg for obvious reasons.