On the subject of SW collaborations (Opeth related)

Sep 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Taken from http://www.nomansland.demon.co.uk/recentnews.html

"On the subject of SW collaborations, many people have asked if he is involved in the production of the new Opeth album Ghost Reveries. The answer is that unfortunately the PT touring schedule made it impossible this time around, but the band and SW hope to renew the ongoing collaboration with the next Opeth album. In the meantime the new album is as excellent as ever and needless to say highly recommended."

So yeah, it sounds like Opeth wanted SW to do this album, but he couldn't, and that they want him to do the next one maybe...

Just thought i'd let you know.

I like what SW has done, and I'm sorry he didn't have a hand in the latest album, but Opeth and SW are separate entities and I'm sure they're more than capable of musical genius without him.

What I'd really like to see is him and Mike doing some kind of side project...

Steven Wilson didn't write the music, so why be upset with him if you don't think Deliverance (or BwP & Damnation) was up to par? The only part he had to play with was the production (and some extra vocals which were good) and I'm sure most real lovers of music don't dislike music just because of it's production.

the irony of the whole steven wilson situation is that everyone would be much less opposed to his contributions if he had produced still life as well. the fact that still life is many peoples' favorite album and that he didnt produce that one, coinciding with him starting to produce opeth albums when they changed their sound a bit (much to many peoples disliking it seems?) is leading to some sort of steven wilson opposition. i understand many dont like his vocals or music, but a lot of people seem to give steven more "writing" credit for the last 3 albums than he actually had...and use him as a scape goat for not enjoying OPETH'S later material lately (which is written by Mikael...duh).

my opinion is that a lot of people might use Per Wiberg as the next scapegoat if this next album becomes less than what everyone hoped for. Nobody wants to blame Mikael for anything i reckon.

NineFeetUnderground said:
the irony of the whole steven wilson situation is that everyone would be much less opposed to his contributions if he had produced still life as well. the fact that still life is many peoples' favorite album and that he didnt produce that one, coinciding with him starting to produce opeth albums when they changed their sound a bit (much to many peoples disliking it seems?) is leading to some sort of steven wilson opposition. i understand many dont like his vocals or music, but a lot of people seem to give steven more "writing" credit for the last 3 albums than he actually had...and use him as a scape goat for not enjoying OPETH'S later material lately (which is written by Mikael...duh).

my opinion is that a lot of people might use Per Wiberg as the next scapegoat if this next album becomes less than what everyone hoped for. Nobody wants to blame Mikael for anything i reckon.

The clean vocals in Master's Apprentices, Deliverance etc seems to have some PT influence, though I really like his vocals in Bleak.
But yeah, like moonlapse(i think) said its more the fact the the last couple of albums were a bit hurried which is (hopefully) what made them less good.

Plus, SW does come off as a bit too pompous for what he's worth in a lot of interviews.

per, roadrunner as already ruined the new album...fore sure, i don't even have to hear it to tell you that :yuk:

per? roadrunner as already ruined the new album...fore sure, i don't even have to hear it to tell you that :yuk:

How has Roadrunner already ruined the new album? I doubt they've had any effect on the music, since the impression that i've been given is that the music was mostly written before they'd officially chosen the label.

Unless you're the 'oh noes, we ams get opeth noobs rofl' type person who judges a band by the amount of money and fans they get...

Yesterday I went to see Coldplay with my girlfriend, and at the entrance they were giving some leaflets, flyers, promo cards, etc. and I saw in one of them the Opeth logo and next to it the German concert dates and a Rock Hard (the magazine) logo... That showed me a bit how the new record label will change things for Opeth... I hope that doesn't affect the music but Mike knows what he's doing very well.

JoeVice said:
i was kidding

Don't forget all good jokes do have some TRUE part and I'm sure not every single Opeth fan will rank the next GR as top 1, and they will later on put the blame on the record label and Per and what not. We've seen that with SW, who, buy the way, did a phenomenal job producing the last albums, which are the best produced ones of the whole Opeth catalogue! :)

spigot said:
Plus, SW does come off as a bit too pompous for what he's worth in a lot of interviews.

a big misconception here is that people think mikael is the most humble musician ever. hes blatantly not. hes very open and persistant about how much he thinks Opeth is better than most other metal bands. and continually speaks out about how certain songs he writes are so fantastic, etc. obviously he says these things out of truth and understandably so...but it just seems silly to see steven wilson get hit with the lack of modesty commments, and mikael to be called jesus all the time.

i just dont get it.

Mikael doesn't say write a song like Shallow and claim that it is a 'intelligent' version of a big rock song(or something to that effect).

I met Steve Wilson at a PT show a couple weeks ago and he said there is a possibility they might play together again soon in a metal tour called Sounds of the Underground. Kinda off topic but yeah.