The Master Cheif's Apprentices

The Dude

The Dude abides
Dec 1, 2003
Alright here we go. I've suggested this before, but I am now 100% convinced that Master's Apprentices is entirely about one of the greatest video games of all time: Halo.
For those who don't know, in Halo you take on the role of a cyborg who goes by the name of The Master Chief, and go shoot lots of aliens.

There is a voice calling for me
There is a light coming down on me
There is a doubt that is clearing
There is a day that is dawing

At the start of the game The Master Cheif is in suspended animation on a spaceship when it comes under attack by a group of aliens known as The Covenant. The above lines obviously refer to Cortana (the ships AI) calling him out of suspended animation, thus the 'voice calling for me', 'light coming down on me' and 'day that is dawning'. The 'doubt that is clearing could be about the ships officer who instructs you on the basics of playing the game.

There is a wound that is healing

This refers to to The Master Chief's armour, which can recharge after being depleted.

There is a season waiting for me

The name of the ship is 'The Pillar of Autumn'. Coincidence?

There is a road that is turning

The ship now must change course and land on a nearby ring structure (Halo).

There is a fire still burning
a sickness in me

The ship is on fire.

Constant pace towards the end
The need is stronger
This time the need is deeper

This could just be a reference to doing battle with the Covenant, and The Master Chief's need to escape the ship before it crashes.

There is a peace I am searching
There is a freedom I'm depending on
There is a pain that's never ending
There is a rain falling only on me

Now on Halo, in a beautiful grassy landscape, The Master Chief must battle with the Covenant so peace can be acheived. He also depends on other soldiers of his ship that have not been killed or captured.
The 'rain falling only on me' obviously refers to aliens in flying ships that now shoot blue shit at you from above.

There is a dream I am living
There is a life I am dreaming of
There is a death I'm awaiting
There is a home I am deserting

These lines set the mood for the battles that are to come, and 'the home I am deserting' could refer to Earth. Any humans that encounter The Covenant must lead them away from Earth.

I hold my breath and wait
Only moments remain
Movement for departed hope
Effect for absent friends

The 'absent friends' are the many soldiers who die fighting alongside The Master Chief.

Sever the faith from my body
Leave me begging for more
Take what I have and deliver me
Into everlasting sleep

At times the battles get so intense that The Master Chief longs for death.

Soothing trance
Colours fade
And disappear
Ethereal light
Showing me what I can do without

In Halo, you can only carry two weapons at a time, and must choose the best ones for a particular situation.
These lines could be The Master Chief dying (you just start again at the next checkpoint, no big deal), which shows 'what I can do without'. ie. which weapons you don't need.

In a motionless scene
There is only me
I take what I can
controlling you to get ahead

Most of the time you must battle on alone ('there is only me'). You must make use of items scattered around the environment ('I take what I can').

Fading away
And leaving
Long for sleep
Closer now
Lead the way into death

Now we come to the level '343 Guilty Spark', where you must follow a distress signal through a swamp to meet the only enemy the Covenant fear!

Every wretched dream
I've left behind
Every waking hour
I lie in wait
Sucked inside by will
Gone into the flood
All my questions unfurled
As I was put to the test
Once I'm below there's no turning back

Now The Master Chief is really put to the test as he finds out what lies in wait: The Flood! The Flood are little parasitic aliens that suck at your face, like in Alien. Scary stuff.
You are now underground and you find you can't go back the way you came.

Plunging in to the deepest void
Departed shell left drained behind

You must now go down a deep shaft to finally escape the Flood. The 'departed shell' is the soldier you found killed by the Flood.

Pacing roads unknown
Searching for a new home
Desert in my eye
Barren lands inside

These lines mean absolutely nothing.

Well, there you have it.
The End.

Sorry. I thought about putting a "Beyatch!!" in there to liven it up, but that would have been too devestating, and you would have crumbled into dust upon reading.

Seriously though, I obviously do have to much time on my hands. Bring on the Shit Thread banner, I always laugh when I see it.

MAYBE JUST MAYBE the album Deliverance is a collection of different tales from XBOX games. yea. and Damnation is all Playstation 2.

ok, maybe not...

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right Dude... There are written in studio arcives, how they were playing PS2 of most of the time when recording SL or BWP, don't rememebr witch actually :(

Jinn said:
...or maybe you have too much time on your hands?

Where the hell is that flashing 'SHIT THREAD' banner when you need it???

this is why i don't want to come to this forum as much any more.. there's a direct correlation between the number of opeth's recognition as there are asshole fans

sucks2.jpg

osse87 said:
The Dude, you're almost better tha Demoke in interpreting things.

LOL LOL LOL

If I had a bit of time, I'd provide all of you with some good interpretation on this song. I'll do it at some point, anyway...

LOL LOL LOL

haha, nice parallels there The Dude. I played Halo for the first time at my friend's place about 2 days ago and I have to say you might well be on to something there! Or perhaps too much XBOX? lol. (yes, yes, I know its on PC too).