The melodic hardcore thread!

I don't care to go into it, but there is a LOT posted here which calling hXc is REALLY a stretch........

I know you didn't want old school, so I won't post it.
I seriously don't know how you can have a thread of melodic hardcore with zero mention of 7 SECONDS.
They created the damn genre!

yeah, I think Bad Religion are opening for them this tour even which is like having Blind Guardian opening for you if you were a power metal band. It is crazy how they got so huge. A funny sidenote....thier original guitarist was kicked out of the band because he was a metalhead and did not want to cut his hair. The label said if he didnt he had to leave theband because they didnt want him out on stage looking goofy with long hair. He left the band right when they recorded thier first disc.

88 FINGERS LOUIE, though the butt of many jokes in the scene for being about as tough as a wet paper bag, had some solid melodic hXc numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, please, a little respect for each other in here (thread semi cleaned).

And also remember, your opinion does not equal fact, so don't treat it as such.

Stay on topic.

this

also....ok, so everything I've been hearing that sounds just like that Four Year Strong song is easycore...... and much of the rest of this is melodic hardcore......see, I was just saying.. post grunge, or something. I would be genuinely interesting in hearing a breakdown (.....) of what makes each subgenre what. Remember that the most melodic I've had my hardcore influenced stuff is Helmet and Zao, so...

Easycore is just a dumb word...don't think anyone actually takes it seriously. It's just pop-punk or pop-rock with breakdowns and screaming. It's like calling Sonata Arctica and Freedom Call 'flower metal'.

Zao RULED. One of the best metalcore bands ever. 'Liberate te Ex Inferis' was one of the first heavy albums I ever bought.

I don't care to go into it, but there is a LOT posted here which calling hXc is REALLY a stretch........

I know you didn't want old school, so I won't post it.
I seriously don't know how you can have a thread of melodic hardcore with zero mention of 7 SECONDS.
They created the damn genre!

I know you've mentioned them a bunch....and I'm well aware of their influence and importance....but somehow I still haven't checked them out. Rec?

Ok, so most of the stuff posted doesn't resemble anything hardcore to me at all, but rather an unholy, confused alliance of various 90's trends, in particular, pop-punk and the weird 'post grunge' stuff of Nickelback, Seether et al. With a scream on occasion. That stuff can die painfully. A few of the bands apart from that, I thought the songs were pretty good, namely Ignite and Port Amoral, not bad stuff though I can't really understand why the latter doesn't just drop the other shoe and become full-on melodeath or metalcore. Not a preference really, just saying. As I mentioned before, I'm actually pretty versed in that stuff for the most part..unfortunately. Just wasn't aware the movement was actually called 'melodic hardcore'. Now the stuff Ben posted such as Handsome, obviously I find to be better, but I know the thread isn't about the older stuff.

I have to say I was surprised to see no mention of:

This band I am a fairly active fan of. This album in particular is really good and incorporates a lot of inspirations that would appear too disparate on paper, but end up working really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardcore was a punk offshoot so you can't expect it to sound like metal...it's punk. Lots of bands mixed the two together, even starting with Cro-Mags and later on some bigger bands like Earth Crisis and Shai Hulud, but at the end of the day it's still going to sound more like punk than metal.

here is my great Propagandi story......I will try to keep it short but I will give some history for the non DIY folks out there.

In the punk / hardcore scene most if it is Do. It. Yourself. (DIY). basically booking shows, releasing records and all the stuff metal acts have hired people to do for them is all done within the band or others in the scene. Lots of trust and so forth going on. Propagandi are a very much at the time a DIY band but they were on a very large punk label. They were against corperations and so on. The nice part is that they were not just some kids preaching this stuff. They were adults and were very smart and educated and trying to live a lifestyle that takes work.

At the time in the mid 90's the Chicago punk scene was broken into a few groups.....the anarchist, regular folks like myself at the time who had the DIY mentality but also lead a normal life, and the ones who in the metal scene would call hipsters / posers. The Metro stopped doing punk shows for a long time since punk was not viable and profitable. Once punk / hardcore started to grow again the Metro was trying to steal away shows from the smaller places. Lots of people and bands boycotted the Metro and refused to play there or support any punk show there. Lots of the suburban punk bands who were looking to "sell out" would get shows there. As Jason posted above...88 Fingers Louie was one of those bands who now have members is Rise Against. The guys in 88 Fingers were label mates with Propagandi and they got them a show at the Metro packed with other local acts when Propagandhi was on tour.

My brothers band at the time was playing a show in Indianapolis with Propagandi with help from a friend who lived out there and did lots of shows also. We all stayed at her house. We all got to talking about the Metro show that was the next day. It was sold out. They asked about the place and if any beer commpanies sponsored the show and stuff. We told them about what was happening in the Chicago scene and stuff. Propagandi got on the phone and canceled the Metro show. They talked to the guys in 88 Fingers and said that they wont play a show sponsored by a major beer company and at a club exploiting the punk scene. The guys in 88 Fingers and the time and us were not on good terms as it was. They knew we were there and had something to do with it. We got Propagandi a show in some kids basement the next day and passed the word along. This was all pre-internet so we had to call people and drive to different areas to pass out flyers. My brother went to the Metro to pass out flyers to all the people in line who didnt know Propagandi cancelled already. A few fights almost broke out over this.

Propagandi played in a small basement for barely any money on ethics alone on a US tour over playing a sell out show at the Metro where they could have made a killing on merch and stuff. It was refreshing to see a band stay true to thier beliefs. It was funny hanging out with them that day. These guys got up early to walk 3 miles to some hippie restuarant while we drove a block to McDonalds. It was funny seeing 2 different types of people get along and help each other out. The basement show drew a hundred or so people too so it turned out great.

It took about a year or so to let the dust settle over this battle.