The Metal of Today

I agree with what he's saying, generally. Maybe not applicable to death or black metal, but most retro trad or retro thrash just doesn't have the ambition or songwriting chops of the 80s bands, to the point that I still regularly discover very obscure demo bands that destroy virtually every contemporary thrash band around. The current scene is very diverse in that the retro movement has allowed people to hear new material from almost every niche imaginable, but a lot of imitation comes down to stylistic/aesthetic choices; e.g. Slayer and Mercyful Fate clones never write songs as nuanced as their heroes.

it's totally applicable to death and black metal imo. pick a random obscure album from the early/mid-90s and ten random albums from this decade and the former would have a great chance of outperforming all of the latter.

this always happens to artistic movements though, the longer the classics/blueprints are established the bigger their shadow looms, it becomes tougher and tougher to step out of that shadow while also staying true to their spirit - as great music requires you to do. and obviously, the imagination and passion that motivates artists to create entire new and distinct movements that will endure for a quarter of a century or more is huge, the amount required for other bands to build on those initial bursts is paltry in comparison. unless you're actually there riding that first wave of inspiration it's much tougher to do that wave justice.

it's also true that the more established a genre becomes, the more it becomes ripe to be exploited commercially, packaged for consumption, until it no longer packs such a subversive punch. this is particularly true of DM/BM - these genres were designed by passionate anti-conformists to oppose populist ideologies, but they've more or less been assimilated into the mainstream at this point. i'm not sure new generations are capable of experiencing quite the same shock, awe, subversive thrill that people must've felt when hearing this stuff 20 or 30 years ago.

for similar reasons, i'm not sure today's environment cultivates the same sense of ambition and purpose - most bands can no longer sincerely view themselves as having as much unpredictability, shock value, otherworldliness as the bands they're influenced by, let alone view themselves as being part of an extreme, important, exclusive revolutionary movement rising up against mainstream values. a crucial aspect of the DM/BM classics' motivation in particular has been lost.

the internet has accelerated these processes by making the genres far more widely available and accepted - it's a shame you don't get many bands being forged off the back of reading a few mysterious and alluring magazine articles and hearing a few cassettes anymore. there's too much knowledge these days from all parties; not enough obsession, imagination, instinct. worst of all, there's the bands with no passion OR knowledge who are just bandwagon-jumping, and that's become particularly prevalent since mainstream publications started widely covering metal.

there are always exceptions of course. my personal feeling is that there's tons of good modern metal, but not much that's 'great'. whether that means metal is *dying* is subject to debate, that's not a topic that interests me that much - i'll keep listening to it even if the answer's yes, long as i'm still enjoying myself.

Thanks for letting the discussion evolve guys. I never meant to troll or play around about this, but I havent been active anywhere outside the sym x area for a long time so I'm still getting used to it. Yeah, you dont need to be a genius to understand what negative effect the many metal bands of today can make on this genre, but this doesnt mean there arent any good metal bands out there who were formed in recent years. I know a few, but they arent many, and much of the bands I personally listen to are either the old ones from the 80's or the ones from late 90's/2000's who have a very unique sound. My taste is quite diverse, but I dont get into the ones who have just formed in recent years, because most of the time they bring nothing new or interesting for my ears. So yes, to be honest I was pretty much stating my personal opinion than trying to make it come across as facts. I realize what I personally think cannot become facts, and thats why I brought that up for discussion here, and I'm glad that some of you have agreed to take it to that level instead of trolling.

How do you find new music? Do you actually search for it or do you just read metal magazines?

also i can't take this guy seriously when he's a regular on the symphony x forum lol, if this perceived problem of his IS a real one then he's more complicit than most of us.

Not sure I follow you here, man. Symphony X is my personal favorite as far as bridging power/prog metal. Some of their releases are amazing. Cheesey? Maybe... but then, if you let cheese bother you, you shouldn't listen to metal at all.

To be fair I was being a little simplistic with "Mercyful Fate clones", but there's definitely been a recent wave of sorta theatrical/"gothic" trad metal bands popping up. Krow's examples are the big ones around today. There are a handful of early bands that show the influence as well, such as Sacred Oath and Genocide (Jpn).

And fwiw the newest In Solitude is a rare new album that I would actually call excellent and fairly novel, but the MF influence has been toned down a lot on it.

portrait put out my favourite album of last year and make me kinda wish more bands would rip off mercyful fate, although TBF their influences are kind of all over the place at this point. ghost would be a good example of a lame fate-inspired band though.

Not sure I follow you here, man. Symphony X is my personal favorite as far as bridging power/prog metal. Some of their releases are amazing. Cheesey? Maybe... but then, if you let cheese bother you, you shouldn't listen to metal at all.

i'm actually probably more tolerant of cheesy euro power than most here, but symphony x is mechanical, wanky, formulaic, soulless drivel. p much the exact opposite of what metal originally stood for, hence my comment.

Paradise Lost is mechanical and wanky, but it's still a damn solid album. Powerful vox, mostly short to-the-point songs, heavy and modern without being too groovy. I dislike everything I've heard from them prior to that album though.

As a big fan of Sym X myself, I can confidently say that they're a very good band with a unique and creative sound(atleast from my perspective). Like nearly every metal band out there they have their shitty releases, but they have songs which have become truly memorable for every Sym X fan and some regard them as landmarks in the prog metal genre. They aren't huge or anything but they're great at what they do. And I try to express myself in a non-fan way so it wont come across as if I am only saying good things about this band because I'm a fan of them. I just truly think that they rock, but that doesnt mean I force anybody to like them either. But hey, that being said, I felt the need to say what I have to say about the band, since their name was mentioned here in the thread. And I'm also in touch directly with the guy behind UM and Sym X's official forum and site, so, I'm not just "another UM member" as far as I am aware.