the mood thred

spam5.gif

uh, okaay! HELL YEAH! FUCK YOU

tomato.jpg

especially YOU, LOSER

990361.jpg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ah, I've made myself kinda real homesick over a little bit here.

I miss some people badly. And I miss my filthy city. We're going through another phase of talking about moving back home instead of up the coast here. It's a constantly recurring conversation.

I had a unique experience today in class, our literature teacher, who's from Belgrade, related a short story, in which a family's father in Sarajevo refuses to light his cigarettes on a candle during the war (so he's actually wasting matches) because he says that whenever you light your cigarette on a candle, a sailor dies, and he doesn't want that. And then when he goes out and returns only three days later, he lights his cigarette on the candle, to break the curse of the war. And when the teacher got to this point in the story, one of the girls in class started to cry, and the whole class went dead silent, it was such an awkward but beautiful moment at the same time. I found it really hard to contain myself, I guess everybody did.

Maqus said:
I had a unique experience today in class, our literature teacher, who's from Belgrade, related a short story, in which a family's father in Sarajevo refuses to light his cigarettes on a candle during the war (so he's actually wasting matches) because he says that whenever you light your cigarette on a candle, a sailor dies, and he doesn't want that. And then when he goes out and returns only three days later, he lights his cigarette on the candle, to break the curse of the war. And when the teacher got to this point in the story, one of the girls in class started to cry, and the whole class went dead silent, it was such an awkward but beautiful moment at the same time. I found it really hard to contain myself, I guess everybody did.

i heard that story for the first time in finland from a woman who was married to a sailor.
then he died.

siderea said:
i heard that story for the first time in finland from a woman who was married to a sailor.
then he died.

what? he lit a fag off a candle and then died? is that an alanis morrisette song or something? :ill:

just like black rain on a wedding day.
or a free ride when you've already payed.

a good advice you just didn't take in this case.

no i think the saying is that whoever lits a cigarette from a candle kills a sailor. i don't think he suicided himself in this case.

yeah that's the part i didn't get either. unless sailors are responsible for wars and killing them by lightening a fag causes a sudden shortage of men in their troops?

Bambi said:
so how does killing sailors by lighting fags off candles break the curse of war?

It's all figurative, of course, I didn't really get it, and I would've asked if the Croatian girl hadn't started crying and the whole thing hadn't taken this strange emotional turn (but the teacher got really embarrassed too, I mean she almost started crying too, and you can't really analyze things when everybody's on the verge of crying in a "public" situation). Anyway, what I think on the basis of the story is that he somehow thought that if he can't do anything to prevent people from dying in reality (it's Sarajevo under siege for two years, I guess you know more about it than I do cause you're into history), he somehow gets into this magic figurative protection and doesn't let the imagined sailors die by lighting cigs on the candle. And then when he goes out (this part is what I didn't get) and doesn't come back for three years, everyone thinks he's already dead, probably he just escapes (dunno, can't read the story itself, it's not translated into English). And then he faces reality and realizes that pulling "magic tricks" is not enough, and that people will die, whatever happens, and the souls of imaginary sailors don't count any more. And then he lights the fag on the candle, trying to make it real, somehow accepting reality maybe. It's like you have some little superstitious habit and then something really terrible happens, and you know that superstition is not enough any more to protect you and the people around you, so then you give it up. I guess that's what the teacher meant by "breaking the curse", maybe I should've written "breaking the superstition". Or maybe he thought that his superstition saved the imaginary sailors but made his own people die, and that's why he wanted to stop it.