The new Amon Amarth Sound.

Idoom metal elements...but now i think they sound a bit like ensiferum
Jesus christ, have you ever heard any music at all? AA never had doom metal elements and they sound nothing like Ensiferum. When you start spotting really gay folk melodies let me know. Until then, please stop saying ridiculous things.

Lyrics?
LYRICS?

I'm going to restrain myself from ranting but just understand that that was fucking stupid.

Tbh, with the latest releases and looking at the lyrical content the band are kind of leaning more towards gangsta rap.

You could even say there is some trance elements in there because they use a bass.

Some parts of some songs even remind me of some of Elvis Pressley's earlier stuff.

As soon as I read the original post I knew there was going to be some mild outrage, to say the least...after all, this is the 'official' forum for Amon Amarth...

And to add my comments, I completely agree. Versus the World was the first AA I heard, and one of those pivotal albums that got me into extreme metal. And man, I'm disappointed to hear the later releases as well. They're ok, some really good tracks but overall...? Cannot compete with their earlier releases. Sounds too commercial to me now. And I also agree with the "power metal" reference...the vocals are still death metal but the guitars are not really. I heard DragonForce in 'Twilight...' hard out.

But still...that said, they've been playing for a long time now...I can't name one band who's style hasn't changed over the years. Whether for the better or for the worse. I do think that some of the slower and longer of the later songs are more epic. 'Embrace of the Endless Ocean' for instance. Fucking cool.

i don't think AA is close to power metal (deffinitly not power metal like hammerfall, dream evil, etc.) and no where near the level of Norther, Bodom, etc. (this is a good thing) and i like nother, but not bodom.

anyway;

i've them being considered Melodic Death Metal last i looked (that's more fitting of a descripton, imo) but everyone has their opinion. and opinions are like ass holes: everybody's got one, just some are bigger than others.

change isn't bad, though. they still sound great to me (if not a little better with each album) as long as they don't do freaking complete 180 and go to making pop or something, lol. it's usually not change most people hate, it's drastic change. ive liked AA for a while now. i blind bougt my first CD at same goody a few years back (Fate Of Norns) and it was the first cd i ever blind bought that i liked. and i bought it based on the talk of the band on gamefaqs.com 's messsage boards.

people spoke highly enough of them (wouldn't of mattered if they didn't) but when i heard they had norse mythology/viking related lyrics that's what sold me. no more needed to be said, lol. they had me at hello. lmao. i've always been into that stuff. (mythology/religion) in general. AA isthe closest i've gone to mainstream music in a long while. because they didn't cange the immage, sound or lyrics much (if at all) when they came into the light. (so to speak) i don't like when bands become popular enough to get to change their immage to fit more mainstream crap. (i don't like mainstream music that much)

there are way too many carbon copies of bands. i don't care if i'm the only one who likes the band or if every humn on earth (and a few monkies) likes the band; i listen to what i like. i thought i was literraly addicted to the Fate Of Norns album when i got to it. must have listened to it like 30 times in 2 days back then. lol. do they make support group forthis kinda thing? lol

but better yet; do they make aa clubs for people addcited to aa clubs or how would that work? lmao.

Plus the production(much more crystal clear in the latest records).Plus the compositions(latest arent as much in the death vein as the older ones)..Their new sound is "easier" in general,but as long as inspiration is there,no problem for me..

If anything, AA has turned MORE death metal with the last album. Definitely some of the most brutal riffs they've ever written.

But with that said, I'm not a fan of the production on the last two albums. Jens' production works great for Opeth and Symphony X, but not for Amon Amarth. With AA I want the production to have more balls. They really need to start recording at Abyss with Tägtgren again from now on. At least imo.

@AeonicSlumber
@Vehemens

You guys get the idea!;)

I really hope the next album will get a rawer production like their "avenger" or their "the crusher" album.

In my opinion death metal shouldn´t sound like ensiferum, so please aa get the sound back that once brought me into metal!

Cheers!

AA has the nerve to try different styles.
This means not that I think they don't play death metal anymore because they still do.
It's true that TOTTG is a new style of AA but they really surprised me with it, in a good way.

This is the 2nd part of why I love AA so much, the first being their music of course, if you wanna be a musician have the balls to try something new and expand. You're not going to please everyone so don't even try. Why you need to do is do what you want with it and continue as long as you're enjoying the ride.

In watching their journey over the years they remind me of another band, metallica in how they've ventured into new areas. As long as they don't do an orchestra album I'll be continueing on that journey. Besides how the fuck do you fit an orchestra in the boat?

I will also admit that there isn't an album I don't like, sure some songs are not liked as much and my favs but I can play one album after another and then go back to the start all day.

I'm just on the lookout for a portable player that can play FLAC files (suggestions appreciated) so I can take my AA collection on the 4 hr journey to Uni and then back. Without this, I may as well jump in front of the fucking train than being on it! It's gonna be a long 3 yrs without them along the journey, so I'm always looking forward to hearing their new stuff as much as I enjoy all their other covers :kickass::kickass:

In my opinion death metal shouldn´t sound like ensiferum, so please aa get the sound back that once brought me into metal!

made me lol....I must admit, as far as DEATH metal goes I agree, although I do like some ensiferum from time to time

Have to respectfully disagree with the OP. The new album is one of the strongest AA has done. I think the last two suffered from a lack of stand-out tracks, but they are back in top form now. The songwriting on "Twilight" is amazing - the songs are ridiculously epic and moving. And the lyrics on songs like the title track and "Tattered banners And bloody flags" are really good. I know AA's lyrics can get a bit hammy at times, but they're getting really good at transferring complex mythological themes and stories to their songs. No, I can't find anything wrong with the new album.