The new Amon Amarth Sound.

I don't mind the sound of the newer stuff, it's the lyrics that, to me anyway, need to be addressed, if anything. They've seemed to have lost some aggression over time, toned down?
What I'd like to hear more of is stuff like Lokes Treachery and other saga tales.

I wish they'd put out album after album of the old sound, but if you think about it, they did. They did four albums in that style loaded with classic songs; more would be great but honestly what we have is enough.

I agree, their first four albums are incredible. Those are the albums that come to my mind when I think of Amon Amarth.

The new album seems to be a watered down progression from With Oden On Our Side...Its not neccesarily bad, but I was a bit dissapointed...They seemed to have lessened their aggression and brutality which was what makes Amon Amarth, atleast to me, Amon Amarth.

I agree, their first four albums are incredible. Those are the albums that come to my mind when I think of Amon Amarth.

The new album seems to be a watered down progression from With Oden On Our Side...Its not neccesarily bad, but I was a bit dissapointed...They seemed to have lessened their aggression and brutality which was what makes Amon Amarth, atleast to me, Amon Amarth.

I really agree, and this is part of the ageing and comercialization.
Let's hope that the new one will bring us back to those before VS...

To me AA came to life in '98 after seeing them on their first summer tour. Anything up to Vs.TW is fantastic but was slowly decreasing in epicness. Just my opinion, but OSFTGH is the most epic album so far w/o all the clean tracks, etc.

I get this with a lot of bands, not just AA, somehow you get high expectations with first few albums then as albums get released nothing ever comes to match the first few. It almost feels as this selfish feeling of having found a great band which after the years turns out to be loved by the many; usually adapting their sound and style to the newcomers.

AA is just an example. Bands like Obituary, Fear Factory, Carcass, Marduk, Dark Throne, etc etc to name a very few are just not what they used to be.

I agree with Belgar but I think its more that we discover a band and love them, and as the band evolves its just never in the way we want it to, because we liked their sound when we discovered them. People who discover AA now and love their sound as it is today will usually not like their older stuff as much, since the sound they like is the recent one. But I don't think AA adapts to the masses, I think they play what they want to play... thankfully their evolution is not as radical as say, In Flames.

I feel like a bitch cause for practically every band I listen to i say they were better before. And I almost get annoyed when some guy just discovered the band and prefers the newer stuff. I'm like "pff t'was better back then!" :)

I don't mind the sound of the newer stuff, it's the lyrics that, to me anyway, need to be addressed, if anything. They've seemed to have lost some aggression over time, toned down?
What I'd like to hear more of is stuff like Lokes Treachery and other saga tales.

I noticed that AA doesn't have anti-christian lyrics anymore at all. I believe the last anti-christian lyrics can be found in Vs the World but I'm not sure. Anyway, now I know not to expect lyrics like "Ride for Vengeance" or "the Sound of Eight Hooves". I'm not stupidly antichristian really, I actually don't care much for that anymore, but I just noticed this in their lyrics.

I agree with Belgar too. It's a pity that they lost that little thing that made them different from the other bands (at least for me). I'm listening continously at the first 4, but the last ones i put on cd player very rarely.

Not power metal at all. And I hate the whole sub-genre bullshit, but they are and always have been death metal with a very melodic backbone. Haven't done a bad album or sold out if you ask me.

Johan Hegg has said in an interview that they were influenced by Iron Maiden. And wanted to bring that power metal sensibility to the music but much harder.

The most recent albums are much better than the old noisy junk, much more epic with more hooks and interesting parts.

Wow, you really are a troll. I wasn't sure before, but it's pretty clear now.

Who is trolling who here? I say I like the new Amon Amarth sound better, and you call me a troll - there's something pretty wrong in this picture somewhere :guh:

These are some of the greatest metal songs I have ever heard, and yes, they are "new sound" and much better than the old monotone stuff:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BXt-g4euqA&feature=fvst[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABVwEgzIss&feature=related[/ame]

:headbang::kickass::headbang::kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Old monotone stuff"?

Although I appreciate the more recent albums as well, AA sound was ten times more epic and violent back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has only really just discovered this band I thought I'd add my input. The first album I listened to was "Twilight of The Thunder God". And obviously to me, it was out of this world. And I kind of listened to their discography backwards, moving onto "With Oden.." and then "V.s The World" and by the time I got to "The Crusher" I found that I prefered the later works. But this is also coming from someone with a very melodic metal background anyway. (Most of whom here will probably call "gay" power metal).

Slowly but sureley though, I am starting to appreciate the older sound more and more, but I'll be totally honest by saying that the band's later sound suits me the most. But it shows that the lads have churned out enough decent material over their career to suit everyone really.

....what a way to state an opinion. There could be 100's of threads debating on which sound is better either new or old. And off course old Amon Amarth fans enjoy the old albums more than the newer ones. Nevertheless, I kinda got bored coming to the forums to only read about new/old sound.

That is indeed my opinion... I like all albums with the exception of Vs and FoN. Just doesn't sound well produced. In my opinion...

Vs has horrible sound...

all right I agree .. the production is not as neatly as the latest two, but I still love it since it's the first one IMO where they become melodic ... I don't really like the old AA stuff, but that's just me .. and if people are gonna belike "yeah the commercial shit blablabla" be my guest I just find it stupid because I don't give a fuck how many people listen to it as long as I like it .. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of guys out there who think this or that band aren't good anymore because nowadays there are too many people listening to it and in my eyes that's just as stupid as when you say "She got triple platinum, so she's gotta be good"

all right I agree .. the production is not as neatly as the latest two, but I still love it since it's the first one IMO where they become melodic ... I don't really like the old AA stuff, but that's just me .. and if people are gonna belike "yeah the commercial shit blablabla" be my guest I just find it stupid because I don't give a fuck how many people listen to it as long as I like it .. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of guys out there who think this or that band aren't good anymore because nowadays there are too many people listening to it and in my eyes that's just as stupid as when you say "She got triple platinum, so she's gotta be good"

I didn't say I didn't like WOOOS and TOTTG, I love 'em! :)

I listen to quite a few "commercial" bands, some people might even call them sellouts - screw that, I like it. People shouldn't decide what one should listen to.