The New Meshuggah - obZen

Actually, it does. Name one jazzer or progger who can play in polyrhythms and odd time signatures as well as Meshuggah and I will eat my Meshuggah collection.

What? So if you hate the way meshuggah sounds, it means you can't stand any other music with complex shifting time sigs that might not sound like the apocalypse? Brilliant!

I find their albums somewhat impressive, but ultimately completely uninteresting.

I think the reason why Meshuggah will never stack up to bands like Opeth or Neurosis or Enslaved or even Converge(not the same genre, I know) is because despite their ability to make some crushing songs and excellent skill they show too little musical evolution. And, I do not mean that they need to incorporate new influences or put more cowbell in the songs but to be able to keep each new album distinct and interesting from their previous releases like Neurosis did with Given to the Rising.

DEI and maybe Chaosphere are probably the only two essential albums by them for me.

ITT people who don't get the joke.

ITT? You think that? "I think that people who don't get the joke"? What joke? That guy's post didn't seem even remotely sarcastic, partly cause his ultimatum of "find one band that plays as well as them in weird time sigs" thing is probably true, at least in the prog rock world.

ITT? You think that? "I think that people who don't get the joke"? What joke? That guy's post didn't seem even remotely sarcastic, partly cause his ultimatum of "find one band that plays as well as them in weird time sigs" thing is probably true, at least in the prog rock world.
ITT stands for in this thread, and he was joking. Do you have to complain about everything?

ITT stands for in this thread, and he was joking. Do you have to complain about everything?

Well, even if his post was a joke (which I still am not convinced on, but i've never seen another post of his so maybe knowing him helps), I would like to see a prog band or fusion band with the same complexity of time signatures as well. Spiral Architect or Pain of Salvation or something like that is as "complex" I guess but I'm more curious about whether or not anyone else has taken the polymeter thing in that extreme of a direction, the other ridiculous time sigs bands I hear just sound disjointed as the different measures don't "add up" properly and don't have anything else superimposed over them.

obZen and Bleed are devestating. I've only just now started listening to Meshuggah (and I'm liking it so far!)... where do you folks suggest I start?

:O I thought there was something off...!

lol The only way you can say Metallica is overrated is if you were to say that the Black Album
is their best ever.