The new Opeth sounds fucking amazing

Hmm, you should probably check out Silencer. You'd probably dig them given the kind of stuff you posted there:

I honestly don't know if you are being serious. This is on the extreme side of theatrical cheese to me. Kind of like King Diamond, if he had no control at all over his voice, or Gollum from LOTR. I actually do like the music, and maybe I'd be able to roll with the vocals after a while, (actually, I don't find it all cheesy), but upon first listen, I'm not seeing the similarity to what I posted.

What the hell is Blind Guardian? Because to me, that's definitely power metal, but they too started out as more of a thrash band. And hell, I don't even really like more than three of their albums all that much. What is Demon's and Wizards?

Lame. Blind Guardian is lame. :lol:

But seriously, they're a classic power metal band and a great live show. I could never see the draw but to each his own. Demons and Wizards is literally just Iced Earth with the BG singer. Jon Schaffer has one sound and one style.

I've been playing bass since '91, and my best friend since '89 plays guitar and sings. His biggest influences were Sebastian Bach, Geoff Tate and Bruce Dickinson though. :)

Plus, you tried to use this years ago for similar validation.

That's because you approach music with the mentality of someone who doesn't want to hear anything outside your preconceived notions of what you like. It all comes from the same place with you. When it comes to extreme metal, there will always be, "The music's good, but I just can't get behind those vocals" with you, and that's because you gravitate towards prog, power, and 80s metal. It's only just now that you finally admit it. Whether you admit it or not, and I'm just speculating here, but I think you grew up right in the middle of the heydey of the 80s and were a fanatic for glam and classic metal, and when it died you were pissed and just never got over it. Everything in the 90s that you like, you like because it reminds you somewhat of the sounds you missed in the 80s. Soundgarden and AIC were on the cusp of glam, and no one had a wailing voice like Cornell which could have easily been transplanted in any 80s band, and AIC's Facelift was very nearly sleaze metal if they hadn't taken a right turn at the very end when they decided to be grunge. It still comes across in the album, though. As you got older things inevitably got heavier but you couldn't shake the vocal styles. You adapted but only begrudgingly and then you realized prog and power metal had what you're looking for, only prog got old after awhile due to DT and all the copycats.

Still, everything you listen to now is derivative of that because you listen to music with blinders on. It's not necessarily being picky, it's what Italians call a "pigna in culo", or a pinecone in the ass. Rompipalle, or "ball breaker". That is very much you when it comes to pleasing you with music.

and I'm just speculating here, but I think you grew up right in the middle of the heydey of the 80s and were a fanatic for glam and classic metal, and when it died you were pissed and just never got over it. Everything in the 90s that you like, you like because it reminds you somewhat of the sounds you missed in the 80s. Soundgarden and AIC were on the cusp of glam, and no one had a wailing voice like Cornell which could have easily been transplanted in any 80s band, and AIC's Facelift was very nearly sleaze metal if they hadn't taken a right turn at the very end when they decided to be grunge. It still comes across in the album, though. As you got older things inevitably got heavier but you couldn't shake the vocal styles. You adapted but only begrudgingly and then you realized prog and power metal had what you're looking for, only prog got old after awhile due to DT and all the copycats.

It's funny just how close you are with this, but still in the almost, but not quite range. I grew up listening to Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, Alice Cooper, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Styx and a bunch of other hard to pop rock bands because that's all my mother listened to. I was also around when MTV just started airing, so I ended up seeing pretty much everything that was popular at the time; Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, ZZ Top, The Scorpions, Ratt, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, INXS, Wham/George Michael, Peter Gabriel, Men at Work, Kansas, Toto, Asia etc. you get the idea. My mother also watched American Bandstand, Friday Night Videos and Solid Gold, and she was also proficient on the piano (my aunt played the violin and flute, while my uncle the drums). When I was ten, I went through a hip hop phase, parachute pants and all, although I only had a few tapes and records of my choosing. I think the two albums I listened to at that age the most would have probably been Michael Jackson's Thriller, and then a year and a half after Prince's Purple Rain. Eventually, I started taking more notice of bands like Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Van Halen and Ozzy. When I was fourteen, I ended up buying Def Leppard's Hysteria and INXS' Kick (say what you will, but this album does have some timeless classics). Not long after that, I ended up getting Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction, which was played every day over the summer religiously. After that, it was just whatever was on the radio, or MTV until Skid Row arrived, and I ended up buying their first album as well as Queensryche's Empire soon after.

Incidentally, for various reasons that might seem pretty dumb, despite being bombarded with Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden imagery everywhere, all of the time at school, I intentionally avoided listening to any of it. Mainly because of the crowd associated with all of those awesome shirts and how they reflected some issues going on at home at the time. Anyway, I also had a friend that wouldn't shut up about Suicidal Tendencies. He was a pretty big metalhead, with an extremely large collection of tapes, but they were his favorite band at the time, and he made sure to mention them constantly. So one day on an impulse buy, I just ended up getting Lights...Camera...Revolution!. I wasn't exactly a stranger to "heavy metal", but that was quite different from what I had been listening to up to that point...and I wanted more of that. So I randomly purchased:

R-3376524-1347484545-1526.jpeg.jpg

"Hook in Mouth" was literally the most amazing thing I had ever heard. I also ended up greatly enjoying pretty much everything on this tape aside from The Great Kat. "Metal Messiah" sucked then, and it still sucks. After listening to this tape on repeat for maybe a month, I finally ended up buying Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, So far, So Good, Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Among the Living, State of Euphoria, Persistence of Time, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and The Ultra-Violence. The first few songs I learned how to play were off of the first three Metallica albums too. That's pretty much all I listened to, until one morning I saw the video for "Man in the Box". Wasn't sure what it was, but I knew right away that there was something very different about what I was seeing, and I also thought that it was going to be the next big thing. I ended up calling out Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in the same way too. So the next albums I ended up with were Operation Mindcrime (random, I know), Nevermind, Ten, Facelift and Badmotorfinger. Soon after that, I ended up being blown away by Solitude Aeturnus' Into the Depths of Sorrow. And maybe it's just because of how much of a profound impact it had on me when I first heard it, but that's pretty much the standard for epic doom to me.

I didn't actually start listening to Iron Maiden until '92, Judas Priest in '94 (aside from whatever I had randomly heard before) and Mercyful Fate/King Diamond in '94 as well. I didn't even start listening to those bands until after their heyday by even a decade for some. I also tried listening to: Deicide, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death, Canibal Corpse, Obituary, Possessed, Venom, Celtic Frost, Vader and Darkthrone. Couldn't get into any of them at all, aside from Obituary. Not really sure why either.

Still, everything you listen to now is derivative of that because you listen to music with blinders on. It's not necessarily being picky, it's what Italians call a "pigna in culo", or a pinecone in the ass. Rompipalle, or "ball breaker". That is very much you when it comes to pleasing you with music.

I still just don't get this logic at all. Because you could apply it to literally every death metal band since the late 80s for everything that gets posted here too. Most of what is posted here is either death metal, black metal or stoner/drone/doom (which are all different, but related enough for them to blur). Yeah, I'm the one stuck in a rut, and I'm the one who doesn't really want to listen to anything new. LOL.

Last edited:
It's funny just how close you are with this, but still in the almost, but not quite range. I grew up listening to Zeppelin, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Styx and a bunch of other hard to pop rock bands because that's all my mother listened to. I was also around when MTV just started airing, so I ended up seeing pretty much everything that was popular at the time; Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, ZZ Top, The Scorpions, Ratt, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, INXS, Wham/George Michael, Peter Gabriel, Men at Work, Kansas, Toto, Asia etc. you get the idea. My mother also watched American Bandstand, Friday Night Videos and Solid Gold, and she was also proficient on the piano (my aunt played the violin and flute, while my uncle the drums). When I was ten, I went through a hip hop phase, parachute pants and all, although I only had a few tapes and records of my choosing. I think the two albums I listened to at that age the most would have probably been Michael Jackson's Thriller, and then a year and a half after Prince's Purple Rain. Eventually, I started taking more notice of bands like Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Van Halen and Ozzy. When I was fourteen, I ended up buying Def Leppard's Hysteria and INXS' Kick (say what you will, but this album does have some timeless classics). Not long after that, I ended up getting Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction, which was played every day over the summer religiously. After that, it was just whatever was on the radio, or MTV until Skid Row arrived, and I ended up buying their first album as well as Queensryche's Empire soon after.

Incidentally, for various reasons that might seem pretty dumb, despite being bombarded with Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden imagery everywhere, all of the time at school, I intentionally avoided listening to any of it. Mainly because of the crowd associated with all of those awesome shirts and how they reflected some issues going on at home at the time. Anyway, I also had a friend that wouldn't shut up about Suicidal Tendencies. He was a pretty big metalhead, with an extremely large collection of tapes, but they were his favorite band at the time, and he made sure to mention them constantly. So one day on an impulse buy, I just ended up getting Lights...Camera...Revolution!. I wasn't exactly a stranger to "heavy metal", but that was quite different from what I had been listening to up to that point...and I wanted more of that. So I randomly purchased:

"Hook in Mouth" was literally the most amazing thing I had ever heard. I also ended up greatly enjoying pretty much everything on this tape aside from The Great Kat. "Metal Messiah" sucked then, and it still sucks. After listening to this tape on repeat for maybe a month, I finally ended up buying Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, So far, So Good, Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Among the Living, State of Euphoria, Persistence of Time, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and The Ultra-Violence. The first few songs I learned how to play were off of the first three Metallica albums too. That's pretty much all I listened to, until one morning I saw the video for "Man in the Box". Wasn't sure what it was, but I knew right away that there was something very different about what I was seeing, and I also thought that it was going to be the next big thing. I ended up calling out Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in the same way too. So the next albums I ended up with were Operation Mindcrime (random, I know), Nevermind, Ten, Facelift and Badmotorfinger. Soon after that, I ended up being blown away by Solitude Aeturnus' Into the Depths of Sorrow. And maybe it's just because of how much of a profound impact it had on me when I first heard it, but that's pretty much the standard for epic doom to me.

Dude. Did we pass through a tear in the space/time continuum and create an alternate universe in which we were both the same person but in different universes, only to make our way back to this one somehow?

Your story frighteningly mimics mine.

Yeah, I'm the one stuck in a rut, and I'm the one who doesn't really want to listen to anything new. LOL.

Well, yeah. I mean, there is a lot of death/black/doom metal here, but there's also a lot of prog and power metal posted as well, and not just by you.

I've posted things like Trifonic, which is an electronic, almost trip-hop/ambient/borderline dubstep duo who are actually accomplished virtuosi but eschew it all for less-is-more.

I've posted power metal, prog metal, thrash metal, black metal, folk metal, melodeath, brutal death, classic rock, country, bluegrass, electronica, avant garde metal, indie rock, post-rock, post-metal, post-black, blackgaze, nu-metal, grunge, glam, post-grunge, gothic metal, etc. I've posted all of it because I listen to it all...if you've got the time, you can check my post history. Not only that, most everyone else has posted an equal number of various styles and bands.

I am like a shark with music; if I stop, I die. If I don't continually forge ahead in search for something new to cut my teeth on, I die. You are like a starfish that sometimes gets moved around on the floor by the current. You adapt but eventually just settle back into your normal habitat. So, yes, you ARE somewhat stuck in a rut. But like I said, it's ok because it's your perogative to do so. I just never understood why you so violently oppose this notion that's plain for all to see. Just embrace it.

Well, I did say once that the way you write most of the time is just eerily too close to my best friend of twenty-five years.
/shrug

This is the song that pretty much made me want to play bass too:

Well, yeah. I mean, there is a lot of death/black/doom metal here, but there's also a lot of prog and power metal posted as well, and not just by you. Not only that, most everyone else has posted an equal number of various styles and bands.

Maybe this is true if you count from the day the forum went live until whenever, but since 2009, it's been almost entirely black and death aside from whatever kick you are currently on (which was folk for a while too).

Last edited:
Lame. Blind Guardian is lame. :lol:

Dude, BG is golden. It reaches the inner 14yo in me, makes me want to throw 20 sided dice, makes me want to speak with the weird voice and makes me feel awkward with women again. How can that be lame?

More seriously, their latest offering is excellent. Very well written, very well executed and the live tour was a blast.

I could just never get into BG. Great band, but I never found them as great as everyone says. Sure, the LOTR stuff was really good and stuff but I just never saw the big deal. Maybe it's the singer.

I never was much into fantasy power metal or anything.

I actually couldn't get into Blind Guardian until I started listening to Persuader. Even after that, I only like three of their albums.

If nothing else, the three released tracks so far are somewhat more interesting than most of anything off of the last two albums. But what is up with the production on this song, or is that just Youtube fuckery/low quality bitrate? Sounds extremely boomy and with too much reverb.

Will 'O the Wisp is also a dark folk band that i saw at the Stella Natura festivals in the Tahoe National Forest a few years back. they did a fuckin wicked Game of Thrones theme cover.