The Novembers Doom Podcast

I listened to the latest podcast this morning, it was great as usual. I think you guys have the makings of a good side gig, as hosts of a metal talk show - like That Metal Show on VH1 Classic, except uncensored and funny.

I would pay to be in that audience :)

Ken

Here's a follow up question from this weekend's awesome podcast, probably for Larry or Paul since they seem to be most into this scene: Can you recommend a good comic book as a "starter" for someone wanting to try some out?

I have never avoided comic books, I just never got into them anytime, but I'm interested in trying some. I'd hope for something with an interesting storyline (some suspense? mystery?) that could be picked up on by a new reader. Any ideas or suggestions?

Ken

well, if you just want a masterpiece of literature, try watchmen. Since the movie is coming out soon, I would suggest green lantern: secret origins.

Just listened to podcast nr. 19 on black pete.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :D

As for black pete (or Zwarte Piet as we call him): I cannot explain his story better than Wikipedia does on their website.
You guys said you would like a movie made on his character. Instead of making a movie on black pete, dutch director Dick Maas made a movie on Sinterklaas:

sint-poster.jpg

I haven't seen it yet, but since his other movies weren't all that good, I guess it probably isn't much better as Troll 2.
Do like the movieposter though.

Milimeter Peter

About the "obvious" Opeth influence, etc. my guess is that some of your influences are very similar... People gotta see a little further than just the modern days bands.

Frankcool, I think alot of our influences are quite similar, that's true. Paul and I are about the same age as Mike, we grew up being a part of the same underground scene and liking alot of the same bands. And I am very very influenced by Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin (especially their acoustic stuff), King Crimson, Camel, The Beatles, The Zombies, Jethro Tull.......which I know are also big influences on Opeth's music. I even just read that he said he's been influenced lately by old Alice Cooper, which made me laugh and sigh, because early Cooper is a MAJOR influence on me, and I've said many times over the years that "Love it To Death" is my number one album! So yeah yknow, it's just one of those things. I think it's cool that we have the same kinds of roots and tastes. We've talked with and hung out with those guys quite a few times over the many years and it's funny because other people always have to turn it into a competition or "which band is better" kind of thing, which I just never really got into (even in my own musical tastes and favorites). Rather than people turning their nose up at us because of our similarities, or letting the comparisons become such a major factor for them, I wish people would just listen and enjoy it for what it is, or dislike it on it's own merits and such. I think metal fans in particular get WAAAAAY too carried away with the "this band vs. this band" mentality, but that's just my opinion. Bottom line is, like I always say, there should be plenty enough room in this world for both us and Opeth, or whatever other band we're compared to or accused of copying.

And you totally hit upon the main thing that irks me, you are quite correct, people really do gotta start delving a bit deeper at some point than just the modern popular bands. I guess it's just common these days. People don't really like digging deeper into the roots of bands anymore, at least not in general. You get some fans who have a stronger yearning to discover more stuff, thankfully. I mean totally besides ND and all that stuff, just as a metal fan and music fan I get irked when people don't bother doing their musical homework but at the same time are so damn outspoken and opinionated about stuff.

Recently I had a friend mention to me that they thought I'd borrowed a bit from Zeppelin for one of the new songs. Honestly? It's true, I did! I can't get mad about being called out for it when it's true! LOL So I don't mind being called on shit like that as long as there's some real merit for it. People accusing us of copying off of these bands like Opeth and Swallow The Sun (yes I've heard that one recently, and I really don't get that one either *scratches head*) are just plain stupid, haha.

Funny about the whole lyrical thing. I've always found Novembers Doom lyrics to be pretty in your face, blatant, and simple. None of those things in a bad way either. Sure you guys use metaphors and the like, but they have always seemed to be pretty accessible, and unforgiving in that matter. As a father I CANNOT listen to Swallowed by the Moon without tearing up to all hell for example. Besides, if they are 'difficult' to know the exact meaning, who really cares? Throughout all of my creative writing classes that is one thing that has bugged me nonstop, peoples need to know an absolute answer, when their person depiction of a pieces meaning is powerful in how it came off to them anyways.

Ok. I'm on the August 21 episode.......aren't we due a new one soon? What am I to do when this one is over!?!?!?!?!

Well also, I went back into the hospital again last week so I was unable to participate in any band stuff, so that also made a difference. Obviously we have other band business to take care of and things we're working on right now (including, but not limited to, working out the drummer situation) that are taking precedence over things like the podcast. We'll get around to doing it again I'm sure, just not sure when.

Well also, I went back into the hospital again last week so I was unable to participate in any band stuff, so that also made a difference. Obviously we have other band business to take care of and things we're working on right now (including, but not limited to, working out the drummer situation) that are taking precedence over things like the podcast. We'll get around to doing it again I'm sure, just not sure when.

Well after listening, you guys did say it might be a couple weeks since you had stuff in the works. You throw this other shit on the fire and I don't blame you guys taking time off. Take care Larry and we look forward to the anouncement of the next drummer.

Kudos of on the Dax Riggs suggestions guys =). He has been one of my favorite singers / lyricist throughout my entire life and have always felt he was under appreciated.