The Odyssey: Breathless

I don't think the covers are different, but the limited edition has an extra song, Masquerade '98, I think that's what it's called. I'm sad that mine still hasn't come in yet.:( PLEASE COME TOMORROW!

Yes, the title track is unbelieveable, now Symphony X have 2 epic prog songs under their belt.

I still don't know if this tops "V", but it's pretty damn close!

I just got my copy. Two Words....KICK ASS! I can't even do this cd justice with mere mortal words. Michael Romeo decimates on this one...noone comes close. A new favorite for me.

The title track, for the most part is an amazing, epic adventure of a song. There are a lot of parts that have a truly majestic sound to them. The orchestra really adds to this, great strings and horns. To bad it's not real-- those instuments are just synthezied, which is kind of a turn-off... the instruments aren't organic. Don't get me wrong - I love the title track, but it doesn't beat "The Divine Wings of Tradgedy" and the cd as a whole defanately doesn't beat "Divine Wings..." or "V". but ive got to let it grow on me too, only time will tell in the end...

The Odyssey or DWOT?!?!?

That question has created some confusion inside my head :p and a bit of discussions among my friends :p

Still...The odyssey is best now for me:p

But hey... DWOT is still the classic!

I mean...the album...what the hell...maybe the song too...

Tulio

Originally posted by tuliosux
The Odyssey or DWOT?!?!?

That question has created some confusion inside my head :p and a bit of discussions among my friends :p

Still...The odyssey is best now for me:p

But hey... DWOT is still the classic!

I mean...the album...what the hell...maybe the song too...

Tulio
I would definitly say there is room for both! ;)

Oh this album is DEFINITELY better than "V".

To me, much of the orchestration programming is a bit too thin on "V". Even MJR eluded to this. But on this one, there is thickness and substance to it. I think it's because MJR said he got better software. At any rate, it's the best SX record since "Divine Wings..."..... maybe even better.:eek:

I think Dream Theater is amazing in it's progressivity (or something, I'm Dutch so I'm not so good at english) they blend the songs perfectly. I just got Metropolis Pt2: Scenes From A Memory for only 2 days now, and it's already one of my favorite cd's.

Originally posted by karelrulez
DAMN... I wish I would have bought the limited edition!! It's only 1 euro more!! well.. i'm happy with this 'regular' version too.

I ordered the limited edition originally but it was put on backorder the next day, and I'm way too impatient to wait for it to come back in stock. My regular cd should be arriving tomorrow :)

Originally posted by karelrulez
dude?! why always the SyX vs DT comparison?? IMO SyX isn't better than DT, and DT isn't better than SyX. because they are two totally different bands.

well generally i would totally agree...

but this time i must say that i compared for one reason : generally, DT don't do symphonic overture like in 6DOIT, and as a fan of both of those bands, the comparison is inevitable.
it was a nice try, but sorry : Romeo is still the best at it.