The Odyssey vs. Paradise Lost

Which album do you like better?

• Total voters

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Unlike some friends of mine, I love how Symphony X has explored heavier territory with their recent output. Understandably, the last two discs have left some fans yearning for more use of keyboards and Romeo's smoother and fluid guitar phrasings. However, that is not the point I'd like to see discussed in this thread. Rather, I would like you guys to throw in your 2 cents on which of these two discs you prefer and why. Obviously, there may be some who love both or don't really like either being fans from the DWOT/V eras.

Still, it would be cool to see how Paradise Lost has settled in the band's catalog after all these years. The initial excitement has now worn off, so people can form more objective opinions.

I'll start and vote for The Odyssey at this point. I'll explain why after reading some of you guys' replies.

Cheers!

Odyssey for life. Great songs, melodies and lyrics though not a very good production, in my opinion. Besides, the song "The Odyssey" is the one I like the most.

The Odyssey.

Awakening, Accolade II and The Odyssey (the song) are better that PL in its entirety.

Haha! Like everyone else here... The Odyssey! Accolade II and Awakenings... are just... omg... amazing!

There is one especially good song off of PL though that would compare to many of The Odyssey's quality... but most definitely not the best songs off of The Odyssey has many masterpieces in it. The song off of PL I like most is Revelation btw.

Yeah, kind of a pointless poll. I predict 90% will say The Odyssey. Really, the only Symphony X album PL actually beats hands down is the first one. Maybe level with DG.

Interesting topic. Like most, I picked The Odyssey over Paradise Lost for a number of reasons:

- It was the album that got me into Symphony X back in 2002.
- You can hear the keyboard, and there's simply more parts.
- It is far more melodic, vocally and musically.
- Better overall songs; even the B-side (Frontiers) is awesome.
- Limited "rough" vocals from Russ.
- The title track alone is worth the full price of the album; other songs are bonuses.

However, Paradise Lost did do some things right when compared to The Odyssey:

- Better overall production (a bit too loud, though).
- Killer bass tone; The Odyssey's was muffled.
- Songs generally have more energy and are more exciting live.
- More consistent of an album; no real filler tracks (unlike The Odyssey).

When all is said and done, only three songs (maybe four) from Paradise Lost can even stand up to The Odyssey songs:

- Paradise Lost
- The Walls of Babylon
- Revelation
- Domination (maybe)

The Odyssey did have a couple filler tracks, though:

- Incantations of the Apprentice (the better of the two)
- The Turning

But maybe it's just nostalgia talking. I can still remember the first time I heard Symphony X; I was blown away by the Inferno intro and the polyrhythmic verse in Wicked. And of curse the title track blew me away.

Romeo's smoother and fluid guitar phrasings

What I really miss is his tone from DWoT/TiO/V - although Romeo's tone is always impeccable. I just miss the particular sound from that era.

For the question:

Odyssey has Awakenings. Thread over.

(...and Pinnella's choice of timbres in the epic is really really good)

I actually picked Paradise Lost. The Odyssey is the best Symphony X song I think, and Accolade II is amazing. But overall I think Paradise Lost is better. I actually think it's one of their more consistent albums, while DWOT and The Odyssey have some very good songs (title tracks and Accolades respectively, plus a couple of others) and then some weaker ones.

I actually picked Paradise Lost. The Odyssey is the best Symphony X song I think, and Accolade II is amazing. But overall I think Paradise Lost is better. I actually think it's one of their more consistent albums, while DWOT and The Odyssey have some very good songs (title tracks and Accolades respectively, plus a couple of others) and then some weaker ones.

+1

What a joke. Paradise Lost cannot come close to the odyssey. Paradise Lost is a an entirely different SymX. Different genre if you ask me.

Next to the Odyssey, Wicked may be my favorite Symphony X song. The vocal performance throughout the song as well as the groovy ass rhythm makes the song amazing.

+1 for the Odyssey.

...is it weird that everyone who voted for the Odyssey are older members?

What a joke. Paradise Lost cannot come close to the odyssey. Paradise Lost is a an entirely different SymX. Different genre if you ask me.
Dude, I have met so many people who think Paradise Lost is the best album of the band. None of them would cite Symphony X as their favourite band, though. Thus, I was curious what the general consensus was among the fans on their message board.

Honestly, to me, Paradise Lost, while good in its own way, wouldn't even be among my Top 5 Symphony X discs, though I'm far from hating it.