The official Esoteric thread

Esoteric tracklisting and release dates finally announced!
After 5 years of computer failure, illness, lineup-changes and countless other obstacles, Swedish progressive death metallers SKYFIRE will triumphantly return to unleash their long awaited 4th album "Esoteric" this September 8th in North America, 14th in the UK and 18th in Europe via Pivotal Rockordings. Bassist Martin Hanner comments on the band's new album which features 10 epic new songs, some of which utilizing up to 70 individual tracks each:

"For this album, we were heavily inspired by bands like SYMPHONY X and BAL-SAGOTH; bands that write epic and catchy songs at the same time. We really thought long and hard about how we can make this new record as epic as possible without it coming off as cheesy and we then carefully began writing the subtle choir and orchestra parts to accompany the already bombastic music. This took quite some time, but we are pleased with the final result. The writing and overall planning for this CD took years and we literally weren't finished writing until right after all the recording was done.

When the album was finished, we had a long discussion with our label regarding what to do about bonus tracks. Both parties agreed that the songs we wrote for this album are too special to be broken up for different territories. So instead we decided to include the old 'Within Reach' demos as bonus tracks. These are literally the first legitimate SKYFIRE recordings ever, and as you'll soon see, the first and only time you'll hear SKYFIRE with a clean singer. Even though the songwriting and especially the lyrics are immature, we think these songs will be cool for a lot of fans who might have wondered what we sounded like all those years ago. These tracks were NEVER made available to the public until now."

Hanner also reveals the concept behind the stunning artwork for “Esoteric,” which was designed by by Pär Olofsson (THE FACELESS, PSYCROPTIC, SPAWN OF POSSESSION) with layout handled by CULT OF LUNA’s Erik Olofsson:

"The cover is basically a guy who is being initiated by a cult. You can choose to interpret the guy in pain as he is being burned alive by the cultists just so he can join, or you can interpret the guy as having achieved the power he sought, and he is screaming out of bliss and not pain. It relates to the title because a lot of us would think that what he is doing is kind of ridiculous- why would anyone want to join a cult? But people do strange things and they have their own subjective, esoteric sense of understanding that to the rest of us, is strange or crazy. I think we ALL in some shape or form have esoteric practices that a lot of other people don't 'get,' whether it's believing in something or even listening to metal music."

”Esoteric” tracklisting:

Deathlike Overture (Intro)
Esoteric
Rise and Decay
Let the Old World Burn
Darkness Descending
Seclusion
Misery's Supremacy
Under a Pitch Black Sky
Linger In Doubt
The Legacy of the Defeated
Within Reach (Bonus)

wheres that thread gone called now playing? Maybe its good I cant find it =) Ive got a bit of a Human League thing going on and theyre playing this summer all around North essex =) Hiya Lee if you still go here hope youre ok x

I don't mean to be rude, since you are obviously a longtime poster here, but can we not derail THIS thread?

Haha. A custom CD opener? As in...the CD comes in a steel casing and you have to blowtorch it open?

I'm assuming there are plans to have shows after the release. If, ahem, someone wants to let me know a roundabout area when those dates will be occurring...I will make plans to take a quick vacation to Sweden. :oops:

ezCD.jpg

Okay mortals pre-order package is here: http://www.smcincorporated.com/skyfire/.

The bad news is that Esoteric will be pushed back in the US to Oct 13th. However for you US guys, please do not buy an import. If you want the CD bad enough and don't get a pre-order package just download it and then buy it on Oct 13. Buying an import is way worse.

Will it arrive at my house on the 13th?

To be honest I'm not sure whether it SHIPS Oct 13 or whether it will arrive by then. I'll try to find out. BUT that said, this is a pretty cool package that is pretty much aimed at you guys, the hardcore fans, so despite the delay I hope that you get it. For the record, I DEFINITELY will be buying it this week.

But as I said, please don't buy an import. It's recommended that you download the album when it leaks (which you'll all do anyways, no biggie), and then wait 'till the 13th. Buying an import screws up the distros which is bad for the band in the long run and it costs you more money hah.

And Don, most labels release albums in different territories MONTHS apart. Look at alot of Nuclear Blast releases and you'll see that the US and Euro dates are several months apart. One month difference shouldn't be too much of a big deal considering you'll be able to download it beforehand anyway on the webz.