The "Opeth - Heritage kicks ass" thread

How awesome is this new Opeth shit?

• Total voters
Listing more than a couple bands and then say that a band is lazily rehashing their sound is funny as fuck. Thats what we all do with influence. If you could list a singular act that is sounded exactly like a rehash of, the sentiment could be someone correct in an subjective manner, but since its a group of influences it is indeed its own beast. On top of that, no one (familiar with the band)could listen to this album and tell me they didn't know it was Opeth; it very much has their feel embedded into everything.

The production bears warmth, and in all actuality is great. Top that off with the bonus of a stellar 5.1 dolby mix and you are simply a dumb fuck for complaining about it. I'm sorry it isn't part taking in the recent noise war for you.

As far as what you think shouldn't be in prog rock...well, that statement in of its self is a joke. If you can't figure out why I have no business discussing prog rock with you.

Look, not liking the album is fine, but of course. Hating it with a passion is acceptable. However spewing forth blatantly inaccurate statements in an attempt at bringing some sort of justification to your feelings is just funny, and won't get you any respect.

Point is that Opeth + 70s prog rock = inferior 70s prog rock + Opeth sound. Meaning Opeth's performance is not up to the par with the influences they pay tribute to, hence "lazily rehashing".

I say the production sounds bad because the overall sound sounds claustrophobic and muffled and the guitar tones they use make everything sound flat. Usually I enjoy Steve Wilson's work because he usually gives room for each instrument to breathe, but in the case of 'Heritage' everything just sounds cramped. I appreciate that they actually take use of dynamics, but its wasted on the overall sounds as far as im concerned. Im glad your enjoying it, but it sounds over produced to me.

My post is my opinion, its what I FEEL is what NOT to do on a prog rock album. If I were being objective then id agree with you, sure. Heck, I even said "I cant help but feel..." Sorry for expressing my opinion...

No seriously though I really love the new album and it's a great addition to Opeth's collection. It was the direction they needed to take, it really sounds fresh to me.

Btw saying Opeth is a flatout terrible band with no talent whatsoever is nothing more than a load of bullshit. I can understand not liking the band or thinking they're overrated but "the worst band ever" is just completely ridiculous. The Opeth hate on this board comes from primarily the same five people and is ultimately a revolving door of comments like "boring" "overrated" ect ect. People take their "opinions" and themselves way to seriously and are looking for anyone who will listen to them. It comes to a point where people are more concerned with the criticism of music/art than just listening to and trying to comprehend what the artist was trying to achieve.

Outside of those with a bias against Opeth, what is wrong with this album? How is it different? They didn't change their sound at all. Sure, they left out a few parts (growling, chuggs-chugga riffs and double kicks), but otherwise it's textbook Opeth. Nothing will ever top Morningrise for me, but this album is perfectly consistent with their style, and if you enjoy that style (like I do), it's worth a spin.

Listing more than a couple bands and then say that a band is lazily rehashing their sound is funny as fuck. Thats what we all do with influence. If you could list a singular act that is sounded exactly like a rehash of, the sentiment could be someone correct in an subjective manner, but since its a group of influences it is indeed its own beast. On top of that, no one (familiar with the band)could listen to this album and tell me they didn't know it was Opeth; it very much has their feel embedded into everything.

When you blatantly rob King Crimson in one song and blatantly rob Jethro Tull in the next song you are are are lazily rehashing the sounds of multiple bands. There's very little in the way of a synthesis of sounds into something new. Its not too complicated.

When you blatantly rob King Crimson in one song and blatantly rob Jethro Tull in the next song you are are are lazily rehashing the sounds of multiple bands. There's very little in the way of a synthesis of sounds into something new. Its not too complicated.

Your basis for the term blatant clearly is as loose as Sasha Grey before writing metal reviews.

I'm going to circumvent most of this trolling for a brief moment, and try to limit the scope of the discussion:

What do you guys think of the song "The Devil's Orchard"? I find the riffs amazingly ghastly, and "God is dead" is possibly Mikael's strongest lyric ever delivered.

How do you know they are "blatantly robbing" '70s prog material? Can you point to specific Opeth songs and specific '70s prog songs and correctly identify the similarities? There's a burden of proof for a claim like that, yknow

edit: Here's another challenge: can you point out who they got the riff/rhythm for "Slither" from? and more importantly, why does it even matter who they got it from if it fuckin' rocks?

I'm just amazed that people can't appreciate the fact that Opeth has totally broken from the mold and tried something completely outside their comfort zone with this. How dare they!

zabu of nΩd;10034599 said:
What do you guys think of the song "The Devil's Orchard"? I find the riffs amazingly ghastly, and "God is dead" is possibly Mikael's strongest lyric ever delivered.

That is definitely a good song. The whole thing is kind of groovy in a way. When he say's "God is Dead" he sings it with a somewhat ominous tone, something like Black Sabbath would have done. The lyric itself may come off as gimmicky or cliche but I think it was delivered very well.

Do you have the deluxe edition? Because if you do it comes with a DVD with a ton of commentary from the band members. Mikael gives a run down of all the songs and it's pretty interesting actually.

Do you have the deluxe edition? Because if you do it comes with a DVD with a ton of commentary from the band members. Mikael gives a run down of all the songs and it's pretty interesting actually.

It's interesting indeed. The comments, two bonus songs (can live without them) plus the 5.1 surround mix, which is damn good.

That is definitely a good song. The whole thing is kind of groovy in a way. When he say's "God is Dead" he sings it with a somewhat ominous tone, something like Black Sabbath would have done. The lyric itself may come off as gimmicky or cliche but I think it was delivered very well.
Yeah it's delivered damned well. If he's ever pulled off a moment that could even compare to Sabbath, I think it's that one.

Obviously Opeth is far inferior to Sabbath, but when you think of how few metal bands out there can even make a decent shot at 'classic' material (however derivative it may be), i'd say that's plenty of reason to be impressed with Opeth's effort.

Haven't seen it, might check it out.

zabu of nΩd;10034600 said:
How do you know they are "blatantly robbing" '70s prog material? Can you point to specific Opeth songs and specific '70s prog songs and correctly identify the similarities? There's a burden of proof for a claim like that, yknow

Listen to any of King Crimson's improve work from 1972-74. They rob it on a lot of the more "free flowing" parts of the album (i.e. the middle of Nephente). "Famine" is really bad Jethro Tull worship. The main riff sounds straight out off the Aqualung album, just played heavier.

edit: Here's another challenge: can you point out who they got the riff/rhythm for "Slither" from? and more importantly, why does it even matter who they got it from if it fuckin' rocks?

Did I say every single riff on the album was derivative from 70's prog? A lot of it is just the sound like worn down Opeth.

I'm just amazed that people can't appreciate the fact that Opeth has totally broken from the mold and tried something completely outside their comfort zone with this. How dare they!

Cut the pretentious bullshit. I really liked "Damnation" so it has nothing to do with them doing something different. In fact, I was looking forward to this album because they had clearly run out of ideas as a metal band. It turns out they ran out of ideas period.

zabu of nΩd;10034600 said:

Umm, they didn't. It's a typical Opeth record, really. They just skipped all the metal sounding shit. I really don't understand why there's any controversy whatsoever.

Listen to any of King Crimson's improve work from 1972-74. They rob it on a lot of the more "free flowing" parts of the album (i.e. the middle of Nephente). "Famine" is really bad Jethro Tull worship. The main riff sounds straight out off the Aqualung album, just played heavier.

:dopey:

Umm, they didn't. It's a typical Opeth record, really. They just skipped all the metal sounding shit. I really don't understand why there's any controversy whatsoever.

"The metal shit" made their sound work. Without it, it's basically the same as if Between the Buried and Me did an album of just their tranquil jazzy sections and cut out all the metal/metalcore/whatever.

Listen, I fully realize that the internet is the court of opinion, and I too have mixed feelings about Heritage, but I think we all just need to take a step back and listen...to the Wu-Tang Clan...