The people that play guitar.

CliffBurton

Nov 12, 2005
Ontario
I rarely play mine anymore, and want to more often. Right now my set up iss.

Guitar-amp, then headphonejack into a Edirol UA25 Sound Card thing Ive had for like 5 years and don't know how it works or wtf it even really is... Then that into PC.

THis guy
edirol_ua25.jpg

So what I want to do, is basically use my PC as an amp/effects processor. If I can get rid of the Amp to do so, great, but I don't really know how I go about doing that. Also have my bass and my Keyboard (which is just USB) to be involved with this.

So what are some ways to do this? I don't want to spend more than $300. I've been thinking of selling off the Edirol soundcard, the only reason I have it is for the 1/4" inputs. I was hoping for something simpler, if thats even what I want. I used to be into this kind of shit about 5 years ago, but lost interest, and never really knew wtf I was talking about in the first place.

Shut up and cook me something tasty, chef. In the meantime, I'll suggest some things...

If you want simplicity and easy recording, go with the line6 toneport. I know a lot of analog snobs scoff at line6 products, but the with the toneport you can get awesome tones and effects right out of the box and is extremely easy to use. Looks like this...

Line-6-Toneport-UX2.jpg

Personally, I would try to sell the soundcard since it seems like you aren't giving it much use. Also, the toneport connects via USB and all you have to do is install the software and you're ready to record.

I watched the first season up untill they killed Chico. I had the flu, and when I get the flu I tend to just sit and watch marathons of shit (I caught H1N1 and had a Digimonfest). It was sick but never got back into it. I should, because its all everyone talks about it...

anyway... Line 6 how does it work... Do I just go Guuitar > line6 majiger > PC ? My friend had an old old Pod something, was sick.

Edit: cook something tasty. Been fighting a cold for a week now, not many people now how to make soup out of garbage.

Take the big stem chunk of brocolli / cauliflower most people toss out. Give it a rough chop into chunks.
Chop an onion up, and fine mince some garlic. The size of your Broc/Cauli and onion doesnt matter too much. just try to keep the sizes consistant.
In a soup pot toss in some oil/butter/fat.
quickly sweat your onion first in there, then toss in your veg chunks.

-note, tossing in a chopped up potato here will thicken your soup up too, if you want to save on calories later.

add water, your spices/herbs. I generally use some thyme here.
have your heat to high to bring to a boil, and once its boiling put it on a low-medium and cover the pot.
let it cook untill veg is all soft. depening on size.. a medium dice should be done in 15-20 min.
Pour into a blender and puree. If you have an immersion blender (hand blender), just blend it right in the pot.

Now strain your soup into another pot. You'll get alot of thick, sludgy stuff on the outside of your strainer when doing this. That stuff is most of the flavour and good stuff make sure to scrape it into your pot.

If you need to thicken your soup, add some cream, and season with salt and pepper.

Instead of broccoli / cauliflower bits, use carrots and some fresh ginger, or a butternut squash and boil with a cinnamon stick amd brown sugar.

really any vegatable. Potato Leek, Roast Red Pepper, Tomato Bisque... Take everything you have in your fridge... 1/4 tomatoes, bell pepper membranes, broccoli stems, zuchini halves, whatever... anything about to expire... chop it up, boil the shit out of it, blend it... add cream... cream of vegetable soup... Freeze it, lasts a year.

No excuse to thrown anything out ever now.

Soups that you can fit in a mug and chug down, or bring in a thermos.

yup, the new name for the toneport is the podstudio. It's amazing and ships with very great amp simulation software. If you only want to ever plug a guitar or bass, you could get the Pod studio GX. One input, one output, simple as that. you use it as your computer soundcard and plug your headphones or speakers to it. If you need a few more inputs, skip the UX1 and get the UX2 as it's got phantom power and other key features that make it amazing. You can get the GX for about 99 bucks and the UX2 for about 250.

^and to answer your question as to how it works, you just plug your guitar in, launch the software called podfarm and there you have it, you can set everything like on a real amp, pick the amp model, effects and the cab you want. You can even buy add-ons to get more models, but the stock ones are already pretty good.

You could also get Pod Farm as a vst and use it with your edirol soundcard but imo you should just sell your amp and the edirol soundcard and get a line 6 interface. When you buy the line 6 interface you get the vst for free so you can use it for recording too.

you dont even need a new interface. just some amp simulation software like guitarrig or something like that. If you want to record stuff I would recommend working with some DAW software anyway. They most likely come with an amp simulation plugin.

Listen to their advice if you want to sell a perfectly good sound card and then buy the same thing with less knobs. If you do want line6 sounds, torrent the software and use it like that. Also get Revalver and Guitar rig. There are some free preamp plugins available too, and vast amounts of impulse cabinets. Check andy sneap for both(like this thread for example: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/541010-list-guitar-ampsim-software.html
Guitar hack impulses: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

The only purchase you should even consider is a DI box to put between the guitar and the card, but it might be fine without one, I don't know those cards

Listen to their advice if you want to sell a perfectly good sound card and then buy the same thing with less knobs. If you do want line6 sounds, torrent the software and use it like that. Also get Revalver and Guitar rig. There are some free preamp plugins available too, and vast amounts of impulse cabinets. Check andy sneap for both(like this thread for example: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/541010-list-guitar-ampsim-software.html
Guitar hack impulses: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

The only purchase you should even consider is a DI box to put between the guitar and the card, but it might be fine without one, I don't know those cards

With my card I know I need to go Guitar > amp > card. I was trying to make it so I can skip the whole Amp thing. The one I use is actually my brothers and he wants it back :p (despite I've now had it for 6 years he had it for 2 but whaatteeevvveer).

After a google of DI box... I don't really get it lol. Is it powered? Does it need to be? And would I be able to use it for a bass and guitar?

I dont know why you would want to buy some DI box. If you dont want to use your amp ,get some interface with 6,35mm jacks and you'll be fine. That's all you need besides the software.

Because guitars, especially guitars with humbuckers, tend to clip when plugged directly into a sound card. DI box eliminates that

:lol: Who does that?

Maybe he should look for an interface with these "instrument" jacks/high impedance/Hi-Z (the Edirol UA25 even has a knob on one of the line inputs for that).
Or just don't turn the gain knob all the way to gimme-more-gain-land? Seriously, I never heard of anybody using a DI box for such stuff and it totally defeats the purpose. You have a unbalanced signal (guitar) plugged into an unbalanced input (I guess the edirol has servo-balanced inputs), no need for a DI box. A pad knob or something like that would be more useful if his guitar has pickups that are too hot.

If you dont want to use the amp: Plug the guitar into your interface ,push that hi-z knob and get some amp modeling software (stand alone) or use some DAW (which most likely has already some plugin for that).no need to buy any new hardware.

If you dont want to use the amp: Plug the guitar into your interface ,push that hi-z knob and get some amp modeling software (stand alone) or use some DAW (which most likely has already some plugin for that).no need to buy any new hardware.

Will try to remember when sobers.
I wont be using my amp anymore becuase my brother is taking it back whenever he decides to drive up :(. He needs it for all the time he never plays the guitars he doesn't even have so whatever. >8(

Take the big stem chunk of brocolli / cauliflower most people toss out.

That's the best part, my mum used to peel the hard skin off it, add a dash of salt and give it to me as a kid, not much different to eating a carrot but tastier.

These days I just eat it raw without the salt.

s

That's the best part, my mum used to peel the hard skin off it, add a dash of salt and give it to me as a kid, not much different to eating a carrot but tastier.

These days I just eat it raw without the salt.

s

Very poor in nutrients though... my step-mom told me a story from when she worked at a grocery store chopping vegetables. She grew up in a family that barely eats any vegetables, so she had never seen broccoli before...so when asked to chop it up she chopped the crown off, tossed it in the garbage and started away at the stalk.

Also a kid at work recently was asked to "strain the chicken stock". So he drained all the water out of it, and put the bones and veggies and stuff in pans for the chef, who had a long talk with this kid about what a chicken stock is...

ANYWAY

So I bought Rocksmith lol, was cheap enough and is fun.... and is basically doing everything I asked to do in this thread :p Guitar mini games!

So much derail in this thread I barely know what's going on :l

Welcome to COBOT.

Very poor in nutrients though

Still a good source of fibre, of course my mum would put the rest into the pot, the raw stalk bit was just a little treat.

I hear ya on wastage, I see people throwing away the core of an orange - full of antioxidants and a friend cut away the gristle on a steak and when I asked what she did that for she said she was watching her weight. :rolleyes: For starters it's not fat it's connective tissue which contains gelatine and other nutrients.

s