The photography thread

I just did these for a local dude's album artwork

5450984365_4ffe343404_o.jpg

5451595562_d60252d19b_o.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments mark :)

Great shots as per usual Brian!

I'm thinking of getting a new lense, however, I really want something wide-angle (I think urban and landscape photography is my niche). I don't have much money to spend so I really don't know where to look. Any advice?

Joematthews said:
Thanks for the kind comments mark :)

Great shots as per usual Brian!

I'm thinking of getting a new lense, however, I really want something wide-angle (I think urban and landscape photography is my niche). I don't have much money to spend so I really don't know where to look. Any advice?

Thanks dude. Check out the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or tokina 12-24mm f/4, both nice ultrawides

Thanks dude. Check out the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or tokina 12-24mm f/4, both nice ultrawides

Great advice, Arv. I was looking into the tokina 11-16mm as well. Of course, I'd like the Canon 10-22mm, but it's over priced...as usual. From what I've read, and from users I know, the Tokina is an excellent lens. That works out to roughly 17.6 - 25.6mm on our camera's, Joe (because of the 1.6 crop factor). Much wider than our 18mm kit lens (works out to about 29mm).

Damn, gunna have to save for the 12-24mm, looks like a hell of a lot of lens for the money as well as being rock solid. £350 in the UK means it might be quite a while before I can afford it unless I become a crack dealer :lol:

Damn, gunna have to save for the 12-24mm, looks like a hell of a lot of lens for the money as well as being rock solid. £350 in the UK means it might be quite a while before I can afford it unless I become a crack dealer :lol:

I know what you mean. Good glass is NOT cheap. This is an EXPENSIVE hobby we're involved in. lol The wide angle is faaaar down the road for me, even with all the overtime I'm making right now. I just can't justify (to my CFO...A.K.A. my wife) the cost of the lens...for a hobby. So for now, the next on my shopping list is a flash, most likely the Vivitar 285HV (I'm not paying $300 for a Canon 470) and remotes for the flash. I'll pretty much be set for a while...I think. :)

My wallet screams out in agony every time I buy new glass. At this point though, I'm finally to the point where I pretty much have everything that I need. I want to eventually get a 70-200 2.8L (it hurts so much to buy that lens twice) and the 100mm f/2.8L macro for my Canon then I'll be done for a good while.

...I want to eventually get a 70-200 2.8L (it hurts so much to buy that lens twice)...

What do you mean to buy it twice? You had one before? A friend at work got one to go with his 7D a while back, before they discontinued and moved up to the "II" model...for a significant price jump. The kicker is...he knew NOTHING about photography when buying this stuff. He just thought it would be a cool thing to take pictures with. I think since he bought it...maybe a year ago (??)...he's taken a total of MAYBE 20 pictures...and that's being generous. It's soooooo not fair, damn it! :lol:

What's a good all-round zoom lens for general/multi-purpose usage?

I know that's akin to asking 'which compressor is the best?!!??', but I'm still quite n00b here, and need something to replace the kit lens with for day to day use. The 50mm is just way too constricting in tighter spaces and that limits its use for me, with all the indoor photography I do.

I suppose I should give a budget, but I'm somewhat unsure what the scale is here. I'm no professional so I'd like to avoid paying several thousand. Let's say sub-$1k?

Yep, Ermin...Ola is dead on right. I think the 18-200mm would fit the bill for you perfectly...and definitely within your budget. I'd like to have it myself, for travel. But I already have 3 lenses now, and can't justify the added cost of another...which covers the range of two lenses I already have (the kit 18-55mm and the 55-250mm).

What do you mean to buy it twice? You had one before? A friend at work got one to go with his 7D a while back, before they discontinued and moved up to the "II" model...for a significant price jump. The kicker is...he knew NOTHING about photography when buying this stuff. He just thought it would be a cool thing to take pictures with. I think since he bought it...maybe a year ago (??)...he's taken a total of MAYBE 20 pictures...and that's being generous. It's soooooo not fair, damn it! :lol:

I shoot with both Nikon and Canon so I have to have one for each camera

and I agree with the above that the 18-200 is a great "multipurpose" travel lens if you don't want to carry a bunch of gear with you

I shoot with both Nikon and Canon so I have to have one for each camera

and I agree with the above that the 18-200 is a great "multipurpose" travel lens if you don't want to carry a bunch of gear with you

Ahh. I see. If I was ever to reach your level of photography, I'd love to get a Nikon as well. But I can't even justify the wide angle lens I want right now, let alone another camera body (AND lenses)! :lol:

Ahh. I see. If I was ever to reach your level of photography, I'd love to get a Nikon as well. But I can't even justify the wide angle lens I want right now, let alone another camera body (AND lenses)! :lol:

Honestly, Canon is better at everything except low light photography and indoor flash photography (like the stuff I do at wedding receptions)

I'll do it tomorrow, I've done it before but not with proper lighting and background. Close up and with a tripod it should be good though :)

Honestly, Canon is better at everything except low light photography and indoor flash photography (like the stuff I do at wedding receptions)
Yup, if I didn't shoot gigs or skateboarding. I'd be a Canon man.

Just dropped mega bux on a D3s and 17-35 f/2.8. Hopefully this works out well for me :loco:

Ermz, the 18-200 is indeed a great lense for basically leaving on your camera. If you did have a Nikon, I'd have offered to sell you mine for pretty mega cheap but alas. If you don't think you'll need that zoom range but like the wide angle, then I might suggest one of two Tokina lenses: the 11-17 f/2.8 or the 12-24 f/4 (which would work out to be about 18-28mm and 20-40mm, respectively on your cam).