The photography thread

I strongly recommend you to try some old manual lenses. Most of the pictures on my new photoblog ( http://blog.zahrobi.net/ ) is taken with a cheapo Hanimex 50/1.8, which cost me some 20 bucks (!), but the pictures are really nice, soft and has beautiful colours. If you invest into some Takumar or similar lens (I used to have Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and I tell you - that is one hell of a lens!), the pictures will be comparable to Canon L lenses for fraction of their price. Of course, you have to focus manually :) that's the drawback, but I learnt to like it and now I actually prefer it (except for shooting "action" photos).

Those of you with Pentax DSLRs have it easier because you can buy a K-mount lens and mount it right away without any adaptor. Besides, my oldish Pentax ist DS has focus confirmation and I believe all the following models have that too. The feature makes manual focusing much easier.

just got a Canon EOS 400D on friday, with the 18-55mm objective, nothing special but it's in an awesome
condition and my boss just wanted 150€ for it (without the lens, the used price is about 250-300€ around here).
So it's a nice starter set for me and I am getting the Tamron 70-300mm lens from a friend for 60€, soon.

I am not very used to DSLRs, it's my first one, just shot a few pics with the cams of friends, so-don't expect
to much from me :D
A few shots from sunday (only shot around 70 pics with the cam yet):

lubu2.jpg

lubu.jpg

figur.jpg

one of my favorite ones, it was just so easy to make it look evil :D
gateway.jpg

and my girl, but I think she didn't wanted it...but it's still her new facebook profilepic,
so she might like it:
franzi.jpg

Sick photos everyone!

Brian, yes I was up a tree, it was incredibly uncomfortable but I really like the angle too, thanks :)

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. Since I got the Tokina 12-24 I've not been using the stock lens, it's shit in every way compared to the Tokina. I'm after a longish (probably fixed focal) lens with a wide aperture for portraits and general use. Since I do most of my shooting outdoors I'm thinking either Canon 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8/f1.4 or possibly a 65mm macro (from another manufacturer probably, dunno if I can stretch to the canon) as it would be quite versatile. I really don't want another plastic feeling lens so I'm guessing the 50mm f1.8 isn't for me, unless it could survive being treated a bit rough.

Any suggestions?

I've got the 50mm f1.8. Like Brian said, it gets really nice bokeh. And at around f8 and higher, it's VERY sharp (see my water drop shots). BUT...yeah...it's plastic. If you're nice with it...it'll last. If you're going to be a little rough with it...I'd look elsewhere. Also...get good at manually focusing, because the autofocus on it really sucks. It's very slow, and inaccurate many times. That Canon 85mm would be a GREAT portrait lens on a full frame body...but on yours, the crop factor is going to kill you...as far as using it for portraits. That 85mm turns into 136mm on your camera (and mine). Where as the 50mm is equivalent to 80mm on a full frame camera. Just something to think about. ;)

yeah, I know that it's expensive, but I a realized that I am just to bad at recording to spend more money
on it and I suck at guitar playing, so that thing doesn't need alot money, too. Got a new job and the cam
was sooo cheap that I just had to buy it :D
Like I said before, I am just starting and have no clue about most of the things you guys are talking about :D
But due to the fact, that I am going to NYC in september I wanted a good cam and not the cheapass 7 year
old thing I had before.

yeah, I know that it's expensive, but I a realized that I am just to bad at recording to spend more money
on it and I suck at guitar playing, so that thing doesn't need alot money, too. Got a new job and the cam
was sooo cheap that I just had to buy it :D
Like I said before, I am just starting and have no clue about most of the things you guys are talking about :D
But due to the fact, that I am going to NYC in september I wanted a good cam and not the cheapass 7 year
old thing I had before.

Hahaha You're sounding like me. :) I still love working on music and playing guitar...but photography is a much quicker creative release...than spending weeks or months on a song or project. :)

Does someone has advice for a beginner (me)? At the moment i'm very interested in the Nikon D3100, but i'm still hesitating which objective i'm going to buy with it.

Is the standard nikon 18-55 enough for object (from small objects till buildings) and people photography? I really like the "bokeh" effect in photo's.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Ended up getting the 50mm f1.8. Nothing can touch it for the price and you're right Mark, 85mm was useless unless you are outside :lol: I also tried the 50mm f2.5 mini-macro, which isn't great at anything and has the worst autofocus I've ever heard/seen on a Canon lens. Very sharp images, just not a proper macro or 50mm large aperture.

Also got a cheap flash to piss about with. Having fun with the combo, will post some new shots fairly soon.

Also Arvoitus, I'd get the D3100 with kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 lens or just with 50mm f1.8 on it's own. If you love bokeh you'll want a lens with a massive aperture (small F number) so that pretty much limits you to primes if you've just started out. Fuck it. Get a 50mm f1.8. There's a good reason everyone has them :)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Ended up getting the 50mm f1.8. Nothing can touch it for the price and you're right Mark, 85mm was useless unless you are outside :lol: I also tried the 50mm f2.5 mini-macro, which isn't great at anything and has the worst autofocus I've ever heard/seen on a Canon lens. Very sharp images, just not a proper macro or 50mm large aperture.

Also got a cheap flash to piss about with. Having fun with the combo, will post some new shots fairly soon.

I think you'll like it. The bokeh isn't as nice as a real 80mm lens, but it's still really nice. Works great for portraits, as well as other things. There was a time when 50mm was pretty much the standard lens that came on a camera...for a good reason. :)

Be sure to check out these flickr groups: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II &
50mm (The original 50mm group) for good examples of what you can do with it.

What flash did you end up getting? I've got the Vivitar 285HV. It's an older design that is manual (non-TTL) and larger than the Canon speedlites...but cost a fraction of the Canon stuff as well. I love it.

Yesterday i finally got my nissin di866 to go with my canon eos 550d. Today i started to practice the flash a bit and ran into a broblem. Suddently the flash doesn't light the photo. I'm guessing it flashes before the shutter opens. Does an update get rid of my problem? I'm not home so i can't do an update right now. Or is this a problem that can't be fixed.

Just thought i'd ask here since the shop is closed by now.

Hahaha You're sounding like me. :) I still love working on music and playing guitar...but photography is a much quicker creative release...than spending weeks or months on a song or project. :)
same here.. :)

@Steff, nice pictures and welcome to DSRL Land.. your pictures instantly reminded me on some i took a year or two ago:

Chiemsee%201.jpg

Chiemsee%202.jpg

cheers
exoslime

Yesterday i finally got my nissin di866 to go with my canon eos 550d. Today i started to practice the flash a bit and ran into a broblem. Suddently the flash doesn't light the photo. I'm guessing it flashes before the shutter opens. Does an update get rid of my problem? I'm not home so i can't do an update right now. Or is this a problem that can't be fixed.

Just thought i'd ask here since the shop is closed by now.

your shutter speed is faster than the flash sync. most can't go faster than 1/250s. Try that and then 1/200, 1/160, 1/125 etc until you can see your flash working

your shutter speed is faster than the flash sync. most can't go faster than 1/250s. Try that and then 1/200, 1/160, 1/125 etc until you can see your flash working

Thanks man! Yeah i was playing with the shutter speedn so that might be it. Thank you so much! I was a little worried but now there's hope thanks to you.

EDIT: It's not the shutter speed. Manual shooting is just fine but auto and ttl functions just don't work at the right time. I've read that someone had the same problem but didn't find a soluton yet

Edit#2: i emailed the shop and got an anwer that said it's a faulty unit. They said there's been a bad batch? Of faulty units that break after a few shots. Hopefully I get a better one back.

I´m no photographer and I only have an old casual digital camera (Canon Powershot A620), but this week I took some funny shots of my cat being creepy with the injured pigeon that I was taking care.
j6ppwy.jpg

zu31xl.jpg

k39nd3.jpg

just got a Canon EOS 400D on friday, with the 18-55mm objective, nothing special but it's in an awesome
condition and my boss just wanted 150€ for it (without the lens, the used price is about 250-300€ around here).
So it's a nice starter set for me and I am getting the Tamron 70-300mm lens from a friend for 60€, soon.

I am not very used to DSLRs, it's my first one, just shot a few pics with the cams of friends, so-don't expect
to much from me
A few shots from sunday (only shot around 70 pics with the cam yet):

one of my favorite ones, it was just so easy to make it look evil

and my girl, but I think she didn't wanted it...but it's still her new facebook profilepic,
so she might like it:

You are doing exactly what I was doing when I started : you are increasing a bit too much the black and the dark on the overall balance, and maybe contrast too, making colours look too dark and a bit undefined. It's more or less equivalent of having an uncontrolled low end in a mix if you get what I mean :)

Ease up contrast, and darkness (in Lightroom there is a slider for "black" that I used too much in the beginning), and the pictures will "breathe" more. Like the blue of the sky will not look like plain dark blue anymore.

Technically, except for a pure artistic choice, you wanna keep as much dynamic as possible. The goal usually is to reach 100% black and 100%white pixels on your picture, but only a few pixels. You don't wanna have plain black or plain white parts in your image, cause it's where you lost information. That's the equivalent of having a clipping mix, though in images it's sometimes a will whereas a clipping mix is always disturbing !

If you have done no post processing then there is something wrong with the settings. Anyway welcome to DSLR land :)

Of course there is no rule, but here's my tip :)