The photography thread

12.jpg

Ha, the infamous Star Tower!

Question at you photo guys:

I purchased a Sony CX 115 for HD Videos but tthe photo mode disappoints me a bit.
My question is, are there any good reflex camera in the 400€ price range with HD video function? Would this be better than a real camcorder at this budget?

Great shot Brian. I'll be following your 365 project with curiosity. Maybe I'll get some ideas. :)

Project 365: Day 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btkphoto/5680326723

Question at you photo guys:

I purchased a Sony CX 115 for HD Videos but tthe photo mode disappoints me a bit.
My question is, are there any good reflex camera in the 400€ price range with HD video function? Would this be better than a real camcorder at this budget?

Canon T2i (550d)... idk how much it is in europe though

400€ (used) is the minimum for camera + lense, you don't wanna buy something too cheap either. Dunno the canon ones, but the first decent nikon is D60 i would say. I think the first with video is the D90 (the new D80). I'll let canon users give you the good advice from the Canon point of view.

Brian... woah... thats a pretty hefty undertaking!
All the best with it, will be following your shots each day..
loved day1 ! :)

Sick photos everyone!

Brian, yes I was up a tree, it was incredibly uncomfortable but I really like the angle too, thanks :)

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. Since I got the Tokina 12-24 I've not been using the stock lens, it's shit in every way compared to the Tokina. I'm after a longish (probably fixed focal) lens with a wide aperture for portraits and general use. Since I do most of my shooting outdoors I'm thinking either Canon 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8/f1.4 or possibly a 65mm macro (from another manufacturer probably, dunno if I can stretch to the canon) as it would be quite versatile. I really don't want another plastic feeling lens so I'm guessing the 50mm f1.8 isn't for me, unless it could survive being treated a bit rough.

Any suggestions?

Sick photos everyone!

Brian, yes I was up a tree, it was incredibly uncomfortable but I really like the angle too, thanks :)

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. Since I got the Tokina 12-24 I've not been using the stock lens, it's shit in every way compared to the Tokina. I'm after a longish (probably fixed focal) lens with a wide aperture for portraits and general use. Since I do most of my shooting outdoors I'm thinking either Canon 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8/f1.4 or possibly a 65mm macro (from another manufacturer probably, dunno if I can stretch to the canon) as it would be quite versatile. I really don't want another plastic feeling lens so I'm guessing the 50mm f1.8 isn't for me, unless it could survive being treated a bit rough.

Any suggestions?

The 50mm f/1.8 is really a great lens for the price (nice bokeh) but if you don't mind spending a bit more I'd get the 1.4. Both lenses are plastic though (if you want a metal 1.4 you'll have to find a used model). I guess it's up to you if the extra stop is worth ~$300. I wouldn't buy a macro for portrait use. The depth of field is way too shallow. I haven't had any issues with the lens' build quality, but I am pretty careful with all my gear.