The photography thread

Glenn - Saw one of your pictures posted on Guitar World's website today. Awesome!

Sooooo... I'm trying to come up with a logo I can watermark on my photos, mainly so I can start building a website portfolio... My last name is Dinsmore, so I was going to do www.DinsmorePhotography.com - but it turns out some f***er already has it! :heh::heh:

I like the logo I'd already made up for it, so I started playing around with it to see if I could make "Dinsmore Photo," instead. Unfortunately, it looks weird if I drop the "graphy" at the end, so I tried making the "Dinsmore Photo" stand out more and having the "graphy" more transparent. Still not sure how I feel about it, though. It makes sense to ME, but I'm not sure it'll be apparent to people to go to DinsmorePhoto.com instead of DinsmorePhotography.com - I guess it doesn't really matter if the correct website is on my business card... and TBH - if I was mistaken for that other guy, I think it'd be a good thing for me :lol: If you check out the other guy's website, his logo actually says "Daniel Dinsmore Photography," so his actual business isn't "Dinsmore Photography."

I dunno d00dz, what do you think!?

1012128_624532300890930_1095048441_n.jpg

The one problem I see with it, is that in order to get that transparency on the "graphy" correct on a dark or light background, I'll have to use two different logos, depending on where the watermark is placed, otherwise it'll stand out more than the "dinsmore" on one of them... I guess I could switch up the colors a bit, but I don't want it to be super in-your-face, either. It has a fairly elegant feel to it right now, IMO.

I like the logo I'd already made up for it, so I started playing around with it to see if I could make "Dinsmore Photo," instead. Unfortunately, it looks weird if I drop the "graphy" at the end, so I tried making the "Dinsmore Photo" stand out more and having the "graphy" more transparent. Still not sure how I feel about it, though. It makes sense to ME, but I'm not sure it'll be apparent to people to go to DinsmorePhoto.com instead of DinsmorePhotography.com - I guess it doesn't really matter if the correct website is on my business card... and TBH - if I was mistaken for that other guy, I think it'd be a good thing for me :lol: If you check out the other guy's website, his logo actually says "Daniel Dinsmore Photography," so his actual business isn't "Dinsmore Photography."

You could go 'Lensmore Photography' - it's pretty gross, but if it helps...
For watermarks I'd recommend something that's like a graphic. Means it doesn't matter if it's read properly. In the age of facebook bands etc can tag you to your page anyway.

9065801393_ce260e41d5_b.jpg

Did this on Sunday, the light was pretty nice and the field looked nice, would have been cool to shoot there with someone.

@MatrixClaw - I am actually not the biggest fan of your logo, it lacks something "special", if I would just look at it for about
a second, I wouldn't be able to read "Photography" and due to that I wouldn't get what you actually do.
So you could either make something special so people focus on your logo longer, or add something that screams "Photography" ;)

That's not the best ciritque, I know, but I had to comment it, depending on the your main subjects you could add something
for this group, for example, if you want to shoot bands/musicians, stylized notes/instruments may work.
If you only shoot pictures for CVs/Resumes, make it look clean and sharp, if you shoot kids and babys, use something cute and
soft, like a handdrawn cam or stuff like that.

9065801393_ce260e41d5_b.jpg

Did this on Sunday, the light was pretty nice and the field looked nice, would have been cool to shoot there with someone.

@MatrixClaw - I am actually not the biggest fan of your logo, it lacks something "special", if I would just look at it for about
a second, I wouldn't be able to read "Photography" and due to that I wouldn't get what you actually do.
So you could either make something special so people focus on your logo longer, or add something that screams "Photography" ;)

That's not the best ciritque, I know, but I had to comment it, depending on the your main subjects you could add something
for this group, for example, if you want to shoot bands/musicians, stylized notes/instruments may work.
If you only shoot pictures for CVs/Resumes, make it look clean and sharp, if you shoot kids and babys, use something cute and
soft, like a handdrawn cam or stuff like that.

Dig the picture - It looks like a still frame from an awesome fine art video :headbang:

I agree... The logo is definitely missing something. I think I'm going to scrap the whole idea and start over. I think I accomplished my goal of "simple," but unfortunately... I think it's a little too simple. Oh well, back to the drawing board! :lol:

thanks alot - about the logo, I redesigned the logo for my business probably 30 times until I went back to the second
version that was really simple (and I am actually doing logo design as a part-time job).

No photo to add, just wanted to share an experience with you guys:

There was a photo convention in my area sponsored by Canon, they showed the 1DX and stuff,
loads of incredible expensive stuff (for example a Canon 1200mm lens from 1992, you could try
it without a prob with your cam and so on).
Loads of lectures, for example from some Canon ambasadors, photoshop artists and so on for free.

So after a few hours, I went outside to take a break, smoke a cig and so on.
A few minutes earlier Ziv Koren (famous photo journalist) ended his lecture and came out, had a
short chat with him (really inspiring, in every way) and than Herbert Piel walked up to us, a really
famous German photographer.
He shot portraits of afaik 3 american presidents, the queen and so on, so you probably get that
I was already nervous at that time, talking to guys with years and years of experience.
After a few moments, Herbert Piel asked me to shoot a photo of them both with his Leica and I
was probably the guy with the least experience an the cheapest equipment on the whole place.
It was quite cool, but the photo was probably pretty bad :D

So besides that experience, I've learned that a 1200mm lens is sick but you will probably never
be able to use it, if you want to shoot good photos in polar regions, you need loads of money
and great equipment, the 1DX can shoot pretty decent pictures at ISO 50000 (4 zeros) and
that it's pretty sick to shoot 4k videos!

The 1DX is a seriously overpriced 8 bit jello-cam for video. 7 Grand and it doesn't even do raw video. I've seen some examples & there's all sorts of banding issues in the video stream. I'm sure it takes amazing stills, but it's seriously hamstrung in the video department, especially considering what Magic Lantern has been doing with the 5d. FWIW Canon has pretty much threatened anyone even considering touching the 1DX firmware.... The 1DC is the same as a 1DX, with an added heat-sink, for the low low price of 12 grand! Again, 8 bit video. Blech.

Save 3 grand and get the Black Magic Production cam in July. 4k, with 14 bit raw & global shutter.

Back on topic, it sounds like it was a pretty cool experience....

Never did any real video work so i have almost
no clue :D but thanks for the insight Glenn!

A friend of mine showed me RAW Videos of his
5d with the Magic lantern hack, awesome stuff.

5D3 Raw is pretty fucking magical, here's a screencap from a video I'm working on at the moment, all I've done in Resolve is bump the exposure 1.5 stops and changed the white balance, added a LUT, and it already looks like this before doing any grading. Ridiculous.

Also ridiculous file sizes though, shot 10 takes for this drum playthrough and ended up with 258gb of footage.

5draw.jpg

Potshot: That looks unreal. Please post that when you're done, I'd love to see the finished product!

Also: Just bagged a 50D yesterday for $500, raw video on this thing is fucking INSANE.... quite possibly more "movie film"-like than the 5dmkiii due to the super 35 sensor & pixel size. ...and I get to shoot in 4:3 finally! Time to really let all my Anamorphic glass off the leash!

@Potshot, looks really nice. What is that lighting setup? Looks really awesome!

@Glenn, beautiful! I like strobe's so much more on people, and i got nothing to critique on this shot. It just looks professional and good.

Just one quick advise that the pro's do: There are some marks on her skin just above her underwear. It's barely noticeable and i'm not sure if its even caused by tight jeans/underwear or that it's just her normal skin. But you could ask your models to wear loose fitting clothes/dresses and no underwear and bra when they come to the shot, it's something most nude photographers ask to prevent marks on the skin from bra straps or tights or whatever. Let them immediately take off all there clothes and underwear (yay!) when they arrive and have a bathrobe ready they can wear when doing hair/make up/etc.

I know you can edit that stuff out with photoshop, but it's so much easier to just ask them. I know how my girlfriends body look after wearing skinny jeans and some nice lingerie for a couple of hours ... and you do not want to edit that all out on dozens of photos.

Thanks, man! I really appreciate the input. My photography skills have gone through the roof in the last few weeks, it's amazing how much of a difference a calibrated monitor makes. Well, that & upgrading my strobes to White Lightning, from the el-cheapo Chinese brand "Aikiphoto" I've been using the last few years.
Interestingly enough, during the shoot for the photo above, I had the Chinese strobes demoted to lighting a white background.... One of them melted & started smoking near the end of the day. Am I ever glad I upgraded & had spares on site!

But I have to say, the tip about the "no underwear" is gold. I did notice the line, but never thought it was that big a deal... I'll remember your advice from this point on. Lines on the skin = not sexy.... unless they're tan lines & we're seeing the goods. :)

FWIW, the above shot was part of a much larger set that will be on guitarworld.com next week!

@Potshot, looks really nice. What is that lighting setup? Looks really awesome!

@Glenn, beautiful! I like strobe's so much more on people, and i got nothing to critique on this shot. It just looks professional and good.

Just one quick advise that the pro's do: There are some marks on her skin just above her underwear. It's barely noticeable and i'm not sure if its even caused by tight jeans/underwear or that it's just her normal skin. But you could ask your models to wear loose fitting clothes/dresses and no underwear and bra when they come to the shot, it's something most nude photographers ask to prevent marks on the skin from bra straps or tights or whatever. Let them immediately take off all there clothes and underwear (yay!) when they arrive and have a bathrobe ready they can wear when doing hair/make up/etc.

I know you can edit that stuff out with photoshop, but it's so much easier to just ask them. I know how my girlfriends body look after wearing skinny jeans and some nice lingerie for a couple of hours ... and you do not want to edit that all out on dozens of photos.

@Arvoitus - it's just some cheap as shit LED PAR cans from ebay at about $60 a pop, the magic lies in this little badboy : http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70570

My main problem lighting wise with music videos has always been consistent lighting between takes, so this solves my problem by replacing a desk with a piece of software that performs the same task, and they give you a VST plugin to control it also. Basically allows me to program lighting runs synced to a click track so I get perfect lighting the same every take. Time consuming, but really handy!

Add a smoke machine, fun times.

Girlfriend went away for the weekend and I got bored, we had a cold snap recently and I live an hours drive from a nice accessible mountain, so I grabbed the camera on a whim and took some snaps, here are the ones I liked:

9221230601_d3885c8f95_b.jpg

9221246301_d9076c88c3_b.jpg

9224035058_50f58a9f32_b.jpg