The photography thread

DSC00420-3v2.jpg

:yow:

Nice photos everyone. Would be awesome if any of you guys could post some before/after shots and write a few words about the editing. I'm sure many of us can learn a lot from all you talented guys here.

Great job on the post-processing, you really have your own way/style of processing your pictures. They always turn out great.
I gotta try to experiment more with the hue/saturation/etc controls in lightroom.

Just a couple of questions:
You always go for the brownish/beige background, any reason why?
How do you get that awesome glowing/warm skintone?
Do you discuss with the model on how you edit rimples/skin imperfections/etc?

Alright, here a before/after photo from a picture edit (Photo is from the froknowsphoto.com forum):

photoedits.jpg

First one is the original.
Second is how i normally edit my photos.
Third one is a try-out for myself to experiment with Soundlurkers way of processing.

Hah, I have a style now? Cool :p
I do like the colors on the third one. I wouldn't go for the blown-out sky look though and I'd probably do a bit of retouching under the eyes, as well as add a tiny bit of clarity/contrast and exposure to the eyes. Seems to be lacking detail in the black areas, which is rarely a good thing.

BTW, I don't always go for orange grass/trees, they just look better in some color harmony. For example:
http://500px.com/photo/50898626
http://500px.com/photo/50858202

Did I miss something here?
Nope, he just likes some of the stuff I've posted and is trying to go for a look that is similar in his opinion :)

Anyway, here's a newer comparison:
DSC09734-beforeafter.png

And for the guys who like reflections:
DSC01064-4.jpg

Finally, something a bit unusual for me:
DSC01180-2.jpg

Edit (hadn't seen the questions, sorry)
Q: How do you get that awesome glowing/warm skintone?
A: I suppose color balance should be more on the yellow+magenta side as opposed to blue+cyan and you need enough brightness.
Q: Do you discuss with the model on how you edit rimples/skin imperfections/etc?
A: I mostly follow what I perceive as a good balance between natural and aesthetically pleasing but on some occasions I fine-tune that based on the model's preference.

Cool, thanks.
I figured that the normal price of it would make the K30 decent enough, but I didn't want to get a camera that's just good in reviews or for pros, etc.

Have you used one before, are they easy enough with some basic camera knowledge?

What are you planning to do with the camera?

I don't know what you mean with "basic camera knowledge" but DSLR's nowadays are all pretty basic and easy to understand. Most camera models have different knob placement and different menu's, so there is definitely a small learning curve in the beginning.

People with no DSLR experience can use the auto mode (which is idiotproof, just press the shutter). And advanced people can use shutter/aperture mode or full manual.

So i think you will be fine, if not ... there are plenty of youtube tutorials about your (or any) camera and/or you can always come back here and people will help you.