The pics thread

Snows cool to look at and play in and stuff.... Until you're a real fucking adult and have to drive in the stupid shit to work every day. Michigan gets two feet of snow, it is not a permitted excuse to skip work. When it's the norm where you live it is absolutely an awful pain in the ass.

Everywhere in WV shuts down because of the back roads and mountains + snow. It literally becomes suicidal trying to pass the Appalachian mountains in bad weather. Pretty much everywhere still closed here with the 14 or so inches we got. Have seen pictures of lots of wrecks and vehicles engulfed in flames.

Reactions: Dak
I like the romanticised version of snowy weather, but in reality I'm sure it's a total pain in the ass, unless you're Iron Wizard and you're just some young twat with no responsibilities.

It's a pain in the ass once it starts melting and turning into black, brown, white, and grey slush. It is even worse when it becomes all patchy, it is a pain to look at. It is nice when it is still fresh. It could be a pain in the ass completely if you enjoy working. It's also a pain in the ass if you slip in it and land on your ass.

Hawt. I miss my half-stack setup, but it was impractical for my situation. I still have my rack mount setup though, so I use my preamp as a pedal with a small combo amp.

It's a Hafler T3, tube preamp. 3 channels: clean, overdriven, saturated distortion. Both of the distorted channels sound great. The "metal" channel sounds particularly good. The distortion is thick and has this unique square-shaped sound to it. It's also pretty quiet. The distortion is pretty focused and tight, so I can strum a six-note chord with full gain and still make out each individual note.

The setup (coily cable is a must):

The rack (ADA Microtube 200 power amp. It's solid state, but has a preamp tube in it to give it a tube-y sound):

Stupid question, but if you buy one of those bass heads do you need to purchase some sort of pre-amp with it or can you just use it like a guitar head and plug it directly into your cab?

Stupid question, but if you buy one of those bass heads do you need to purchase some sort of pre-amp with it or can you just use it like a guitar head and plug it directly into your cab?

Technically, yes. However, most bass heads have very high wattage and will blow your speakers if you crank it. Low volume is safe. I used to play this old gem with my guitar and guitar cabinet all the time:

I sold it when I moved into an apartment. 400 watts is just too much for that. I paid only $75 for it anyhow, so not much harm. This is a beast. It absolutely nails Eyehategod's In the Name of Suffering sound and is great for jamming The Melvins too as well. How can you go wrong with an amp that has one channel's settings as fuzz, blend, distortion, and gain? Solid-state distorted madness.

edit: just make sure that your head doesn't have more ohms than your cab. That's bad business.

Last edited:
I realize that, I was asking if you had to buy a pre-amp if you purchase, say, an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro. Something like this.

ampeg-svt-3-pro-618683.jpg

I think I'm just going to buy a large combo amp. Good enough.

I use to have a half stack, but I have not had a cab in awile and stopped playing. I still have an Ampeg vh-140c head, but it is not here at my apartment. My dad has it in storage. I'm using this little peavey combo practice amp and am slowly getting back into playing. Once I get my head back am just going to get a 2x12 cab.