The potential of Opeth calling it quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I was just thinking back today on that article someone here posted on 'Industry Today' that featured Peter Lindgren. It really struck me at, out of the metal element, how aged Peter has become (and I mean that with no disrespect). It also ocurred to me that he's now married. Then it ocurred to me that Mike is married and consequently that he now has a child with Anna. Whilst these are great things for the guys, it really makes one wonder what it means for the future of the band.

Recently, Nathan Gearheart of Vehemence fame split from the band due to family reasons. For the first time in my life, I can see this becoming a distinct possibility for Opeth. I honestly don't think they can juggle the music and their families for much longer. Whilst I have no doubts that Mike will continue to dabble in music way, way into his life, I'm really starting to have doubts on the future of Opeth.

What about you?

To Hell with it........the painful it would be - the day will come when opeth will stop touring, or making large worldtour´s. But i dont think they can stop to make music........so maybe Opeth will become a studioband with only 5gig´s every 4 years ^^
and you have to pay up to 80bucks for a ticket. A second Metallica maybe hahaha

I can see your point man, but i think mikael loves opeth (after all he is the major element, without him opeth would not be...and i mean that with no disrespect to any of the other members) too much to give it away. Perhaps albums,tours ect will jsut be less frequent maybe???

Opeth could still make albums but tour less frequently like he said ^

I was wondering Mikael has probably mellowed now that he has a wife and a kid it may affect the sound of the new album...

My lifeforce is connected to their existence. If they break up then I will exist no longer. My fate is tied to theirs.

That would be hell. At least once a month I think about the stupidity of having a favourite band that doesn't exist anymore (>>>Emperor, I discovered them when Ihsan decided to quit, raaaah!).
Emperor and Opeth are my 2 favourite bands. The fact that I won't ever in my life see Emperor live drives me crazy already, and knowing this and thinking about Opeth quitting makes me feel really sick...

I think you're generally right in thinking it is a more reasonable possibility now with wives + children. But I think Opeth will continue a good while longer, and like Crimson said, perhaps tours will be shorter for the guys.

Kinda funny Moonlapse, I was thinking of this same thing.

I became a big fan of Emperor after they called it quits also. It really sucks not to have been able to see them live at least once. Had that opportunity with my 2 other favourite bands though (one deciding to call it quits about a month or two after I did).

whatever happens, happens....but right now, we have a new album to look forward too. a couple of nights ago, at one point in my dream, it was to be released in a couple of weeks. i was jacked. good story, huh?

I was only turned on to Sabbath in the mid 90's when I saw no chance of seeing them and then there was the reunion tour and disc which I was thrilled to see.
Now I wish I could see them with Dio.

You also have to remember that Mickael has an expensive record habit he can't break and needs a steady stream of income to get his regular fix. He may not be a millionare but music should be a good source of income for his family. I doubt the ball and chain would just let him up and quit his job either. Mickael: "Honey I want to give up the road for a quiet life at home." Wife: "You get back out there and make me money! I want a mansion so we can film a realty show"..... Sorry, still thinking about sabbath.

well, 30 or 31 ain't that old, moreover, people don't die once they get married and/or have kids; in some cases that sort of support and stability can free one even more for other things... naturally, that could mean moving on to new projects, and perhaps that would mean no more Opeth, but these guys have plenty more good years of creativity in them...

Lol guys.........thats one of the main point when llistening to not-trendy music. Many of our hero´s are gone. For instance Paradise Lost......i want to see a Concert of their Paradise Lost - Icon era.......if you own the dvd you can probably understand why :p
But it wont happen........so thats it

Thank God they already released 7 albums, though. If they do call it quits after #8, then I will be thankful that they at least made more than a handful of wonderful albums for me to savor over. :)

Even if the other members quit, and Opeth is no longer, I think Mike will always be creating music.. what else is there for him to do? Work in a record shop? I don't think he's wealthy (hence the ebay thread about putting more money into his paypal spending account) - and he has a good enough fan base and reputation to sell whatever he might record... even a solo album would be great.

But... Peter/Martin(s)/ and even Per would be greatly missed.

Interesting thread. Keep in mind that Opeth are STILL and underground progressive death metal band. There isn't alot of money in the death metal scene. Alot of the very best, and even most high profile musicians in the death metal scene have to hold on to thier day jobs to pay the bills and support families.
Death metal bands MAY make some $ off of touring and merchandising, but jobs, and bills become a priority.
I'm sure many musicians in the death metal scene would LOVE to make a living from thier art, but that is not always possible.
Funny thing, Opeth didn't start touring (worldwide) untill 2001.
We'll see how long Opeth last in the industry or if jobs and family take priority.

I just find it funny that the moderator of the Opeth board puts out posts like this, sending out rumors of an inevitable break up, as well as perpetuating threads that relate the band to racism, in rumor, of course.

Perhaps an email to the band informing them of this is in order, since it took an email to this site's owner to get moonlapse to stop perpetuating the racism thread.

In any event, until the band starts pointing to a break up, they are not breaking up because they are older, married, fathers, etc. That's mere trolling until you hear those points from the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.