The Primordial Glare of Pazuzu in the Eye of Death

I really enjoy Old School death a lot but I honestly enjoy modern death metal much more. It has better production, it's more brutal, technical and just overall more aggressive. However I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this lol.

Reactions: cookiecutter
Décadent;5724538 said:
There's no need for flaming, but it's clear that you've missed the point all-together.

Ah yes it seems i did lol, but in regards to the actual topic of bands that are able to capture or attain some sort of demonic, dark supernatural power/energy just seems kind of out there. :erk:

You don't feel it, then. A bit 'spooky' for you? Rather keep your moronic notions of aetheism and not have to think profound thoughts? Fine, please yourself.

Believing that there's 'evil energy' within certain recordings is akin to being a hippy and believing that a crystal will cure cancer. I'm happily living in a world without hocus-pocus.

Reactions: AgoliantLives
Your comparison is total bullshit. Make what you will of it, the fact that the musicians were actively delving into profoundly dark elements of spirituality and their own pscyhe reflected strongly in the music.

The fact that the musicians were actively delving into profoundly dark elements of spirituality and their own psyche may have reflected strongly in the music, but it doesn't mean the music had 'evil energy', or indeed that there is such a thing. It's all about how the music is perceived by the listener, nothing to do with reality at all. My comparison dealt with that just fine. If you wanna believe in evil and Satan, you may as well believe all that hippy crap as well.

Too much of that article seems to be an excuse for half-assing it; for uninspired amateurism. I agree that death metal is not a shadow of what it once was, but it's due to the lack of "total fucking rawness, d00ds!!!". Take one that the article mentioned, demo-era Morbid Angel. You'd have to be retarded to put those demos above Altars of Madness or Blessed Are the Sick. The working of those older songs that happened before the first two full-lengths magnified their essence greatly- they sounded much less like some teenagers having fun playing loud music, and more like a truly serious work of occult art, a vision of the void. The Possesseds, early Deaths, Obituarys, and Necrovores of the world will never be able to match the bands that actually put effort into their art; the bands like early Therion, Adramelech, Demigod, early At the Gates, Deicide on Legion, Massacra, Demilich, Gorguts, Immolation, etc.

The real reason why newer death metal sucks isn't because it's not "raw d00ds!!!". The fact is, that mentality is just aesthetic-oriented as most of the fans of the modern crops of either Unique Leader br00tal garbage of watered down shit from gothenburg, and thus is exactly what it claims to not be. The real reason that it sucks is because it's playing for approval of a percieved audience- whether for fun (as is the case with most local bands) or profit (anyone signed to Nuclear Blast/Century Media)- and not the essence of the art.

Reactions: swizzlenuts
Décadent;5709808 said:
Indeed! In this very publication, Jon DePlachett is interviewed and has some fantastic things to say about it all.

"Although, I consider this as the true essence of the void of the black space emanating (ie Abyss and beyond - the source of All-naught)."

"You have to go there if you want the musick to be an evolved living entity. Each note that I allow to flow forth is an annunciation, a living characterture of an idea sustained by the power of the current. The culmination of several notes, a phrase or passage of pure intelligence reeling to spew forth. Several phrases and passages of events become the opening of a direct link. It is the most highest form of thought and the key to evolution. You have to go right to the edge and stay there, menial rationality must be broken down and destroyed in order to emerge..."

Susperia: diehard PA fans were offered the CD before public availability. It should be available from Evil Legend next week.

Dude, wtf is with the Non-Metal Inquisition gaynes in your sig. :erk:

I believe that certain forms of metal can very much in tune with forces of "darkness" or "evil" or are spiritually in tune with Ancient forces. Wether it is something which they intend to do or not, it can be a spiritual thing. I for one can say that I am very much interested in what Death metal has to say, while being at one with the Ancients myself...I AM THEMMMMMMMMMM!

Too much of that article seems to be an excuse for half-assing it; for uninspired amateurism. I agree that death metal is not a shadow of what it once was, but it's due to the lack of "total fucking rawness, d00ds!!!". Take one that the article mentioned, demo-era Morbid Angel. You'd have to be retarded to put those demos above Altars of Madness or Blessed Are the Sick. The working of those older songs that happened before the first two full-lengths magnified their essence greatly- they sounded much less like some teenagers having fun playing loud music, and more like a truly serious work of occult art, a vision of the void. The Possesseds, early Deaths, Obituarys, and Necrovores of the world will never be able to match the bands that actually put effort into their art; the bands like early Therion, Adramelech, Demigod, early At the Gates, Deicide on Legion, Massacra, Demilich, Gorguts, Immolation, etc.

The real reason why newer death metal sucks isn't because it's not "raw d00ds!!!". The fact is, that mentality is just aesthetic-oriented as most of the fans of the modern crops of either Unique Leader br00tal garbage of watered down shit from gothenburg, and thus is exactly what it claims to not be. The real reason that it sucks is because it's playing for approval of a percieved audience- whether for fun (as is the case with most local bands) or profit (anyone signed to Nuclear Blast/Century Media)- and not the essence of the art.

it's a mixture of both things, and more (which is why both arguments are flawed - they are too narrow 'a view of death metal). but overly simplifying Decadent's argument to contrast yours is hardly a way of disproving what was originally said.

Good points raised, but I think (and again, this is me interpreting the thoughts of another) that the fact that only pure, old school death metal is mentioned through the article is more of a comparative tactic to help push the contrast between mentalities of past and present. The fact that no album-era bands are mentioned is purely intentional - it's not that there's any notion that releasing an album constitutes any loss of any creative purpose, but merely that demos could, in all ways, reflect the concepts that the author speaks of in better ways. I think the "uninspired amatureism" that you speak of is only a half truth, since as far as I'm concerned, no band you've mentioned who puts "actual effort into their art" can come close to, for example, Beherit. That's not to discount the brilliance of these other bands in any way, but to imply that "actual effort" doesn't have to mean technical competency.

I agree with your post for the most part, but for the part about Morbid Angels demos: I don't really think it's teenagers playing loud music, but really not being able to put together their ideas properly.

Whenever people try to measure music and say shit like: "Bands who are more technical or more polished are always better," and whenever people go on artfag rants like Cynical's above post, I find it hilarious that they think such broad statements actually reflect anything close to the breadth and depth of awesome music out there!

Décadent;5725180 said:
Good points raised, but I think (and again, this is me interpreting the thoughts of another) that the fact that only pure, old school death metal is mentioned through the article is more of a comparative tactic to help push the contrast between mentalities of past and present. The fact that no album-era bands are mentioned is purely intentional - it's not that there's any notion that releasing an album constitutes any loss of any creative purpose, but merely that demos could, in all ways, reflect the concepts that the author speaks of in better ways.
In attempting to create a tidy reflection of that concept, though, it's turned into an oversimplification IMO. I can only critique what's actually in the article, not neccesarily what he "meant" and didn't convey due to careless writing.
I think the "uninspired amatureism" that you speak of is only a half truth, since as far as I'm concerned, no band you've mentioned who puts "actual effort into their art" can come close to, for example, Beherit. That's not to discount the brilliance of these other bands in any way, but to imply that "actual effort" doesn't have to mean technical competency.
I would put most of those that I mentioned above Beherit, but it seems obvious to me that Drawing Down the Moon wasn't the work of some bored kids playing in their garage in their free time. Technically profecient? No, but it didn't need to be.
I agree with your post for the most part, but for the part about Morbid Angels demos: I don't really think it's teenagers playing loud music, but really not being able to put together their ideas properly.
It wasn't meant to be just teenagers playing loud music, but some of the flaws in execution, some of the "heavy metalisms" left over in those works, gives it a bit of that flavor from time to time.

I would put most of those that I mentioned above Beherit, but it seems obvious to me that Drawing Down the Moon wasn't the work of some bored kids playing in their garage in their free time. Technically profecient? No, but it didn't need to be.

This is really all I'm getting at. Where does one draw the line between amatureism and minimalism, to take one mere example? It's not always clear cut. I don't believe that Necrovore was just a bunch of teenagers rummaging around in the toolshed either, but context comes heavily into play in any such assumption.

Does the band accurately convey their vision using the most proficient means? This is all that really matters to me. If the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, I favour it.